New pool owner setting up intex agp with some questions

Apr 11, 2015
Winnipeg, Canada
Hi all I've been reading the forum and pool school for awhile now and am just going to start my install soon but I have a few questions. I know there's a lot of these type of threads so thanks in advance for the help.

My set up is going to be a 12x24x52" intex ultra frame I've levelled the ground and will be putting it onto the levelled soil with a very small amount of sand for the low spots. I'm not using the pump that came with the pool and have bought a Hayward pro series 21 in sand filter with 1.5 hp matrix pump. I have an intex saltwater SWG model CG-28669. I intend to hard plumb a Hayward skimmer as well as the whole system with 1.5 abs pressure rated pipe as pvc is harder to find in Canada and is expensive. It looks like the skimmer is usually installed after the pool is full so the liner is stretched that's my plan as long as it makes sense.

My questions are will the SWG work with the pump I have or is it too big? Either way for ease of use I was thinking of just using pucks. I know that it will increase my cya but our season is pretty short only about 4-5 months tops (it's going to 1 degree Celsius tonight) and the pool will be drained and taken down every winter. Can I use pucks or is the SWG a better method?

As our season is pretty short I was thinking about also installing a heater and am torn between natural gas and electric (solar is not an option in my yard). Our electricity is pretty reasonable at 7.3 cents a kWh but I'm wondering if one is a better option with the intex pools.

As far as the inlet and returns I was planning on leaving the ones that came with the pool it came with the adjustable return and two inlets. Should I leave both inlets operational along with the skimmer and is there a great benefit to changing any of them?

The pool will be along side a deck and I'm going to install a ladder attached to the deck. Do I have to put padding or anything for wear where the ladder meets the pool floor or sides?

Last question. How good is the intex robot cleaner and what if anything do I need to hook it up to the skimmer unless it should it be hooked up to one of the inlets? I have to order my test kit and pick it up in the U.S and would like to pick up the robot at the same time if it's a worthwhile investment and it will work ok with my larger pump.

Sorry for the long post and I will update my signature more when I know what I'm installing. If this should be in the above ground section feel free to move it mods.

Hi, welcome to TFP! If the low spots are where the concrete block supports should go then you should dig down to level instead of adding sand. Pools are very heavy and even the best compacted soil will start to sink if you use sand or dirt to bring the level up. If you are talking about low spots where the floor of the pool will be then that is fine.

You may feel like you are in a waterpark lazy river when the pump is running, but otherwise it should be fine. The SWG will work with that type of pump. Since you do plan to drain and store the pool and have a short swim season you could use the pucks. I would start by raising the CYA to 20, use a little liquid chlorine to bring the FC up to 5, and start using the pucks in a floater. Add a new puck when the old one is almost dissolved. It is up to you to decide if the extra work required to set up the SWG is worth it too you.

Its not required that you place padding under the pool ladder but you can. I would watch it being used to see how much the ladder moves. If it seems to rub the sides or floor when in use then you can use a piece of liner or a bath mat to protect the surface.

Anyone have an opinion on the Hayward eyeball return vs the intex eyeball return? Or if I keep both inlets running with the skimmer?

If I do run the puck option rather than the SWG can the puck just be put into a skimmer or do I need to buy a floater?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.