Putting our AGP up tomorrow- had some quick questions :)

Brandy81

Jul 5, 2023
Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, we are putting our pool up tomorrow and I wanted to ask a few questions since this is my first ever pool and I am a bit nervous. lol

We have an 18x52 round Intex pool with Krystal Clear Sand filter and a SX2100 pump. I am not too sure on how much water this holds...it says to fill up to 46inch. I think it might be around 7K gallons?

I bought the following for the pool: Liquid Chlorine, Borax, Baking Soda, CYA (conditioner enhancer granolas) and a TF-100 test kit.

1. When we fill the pool, do we need to run the filter for a while before testing the water?
2. After testing the water and adding chemicals, do we need to wait 24 hours before testing again?
3. How long do you normally run the pump?
4. The liquid chlorine I bought is from Leslies and the brand is Blue Whale. It says it's shock chlorinator and has the following ingredients : Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5%, Other ingredients 87.5% Is this ok to use as Liquid Chlorine or should I just use bleach? lol

Thank you in advance for any assistance/advice!

Reactions: Brandy81
We have an 18x52 round Intex pool with Krystal Clear Sand filter and a SX2100 pump. I am not too sure on how much water this holds...it says to fill up to 46inch. I think it might be around 7K gallons?

See PoolMath Estimating pool volume at the bottom of the page.

4. The liquid chlorine I bought is from Leslies and the brand is Blue Whale. It says it's shock chlorinator and has the following ingredients : Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5%, Other ingredients 87.5% Is this ok to use as Liquid Chlorine or should I just use bleach? lol

It is better then most bleach.

Ok so, I finally got the pool filled on Sunday YAY and now have some more questions after learning how to test with the TF-Pro.

Intex Ultra XTR Pool, 18x52 round, 6981 gals (give or take a few) Sand Filter

Using the CYA/FC recommendation, I was shooting for 45 CYA and FC 5-7 with a 3 minimum.

On 7/8 I added 42 oz of CYA (concentrated dry stabilizer) in a sock - been squeezing it daily, have it in front of my return jet. I tested with the OTO test and my FC was 2 and my PH7.5. I ending up adding 40oz of liquid chlorine that evening (Blue Whale Liquid Shock -Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5%)

Tested on 7/9 in the afternoon using OTO showed FC at 0 so I added another 40 oz of liquid chlorine in the afternoon. I am assuming this is because the CYA hadn't fully dissolved yet and I live in Texas? OTO test later that day shows FC 3, PH 7.5

7/10 I did the FAS/DPD test in the evening. My FC was 3, CC was .05, TC 3.05, TA 160, PH 7.5
I added 28oz of Liquid Shock in the evening

Tested today at 1, FC 3, CC .05, TC 3.05 - added 25 oz Liquid Shock in the afternoon
Tested again at 5- FC 4 (.35) CC-1, TC 5, CYA I think is 40? I barely saw the dot at 40 and hardly at 30 when I glance. I took a pic for reference if I need to load it. lol

So my question is this, do I need to SLAM? When I tested the CC, the water was barely pink, so I added 1 drop of the R-0871. It turned completely clear, but as I let it sit there for 15 seconds or so it turned back to a slight pink hue. Not sure if this was an accurate reading of the CC, as I wasn't sure how long to wait to see if it turns back to pink or now?

Also, if the last bit of my CYA dissolved today, should I test it again tomorrow and do I need to add anymore at this point to reach the 45?

I really want to go swimming but, also not wanting to get sick if the CC is truly over the .05. lol

Last edited:
Go swimming. Enjoy your pool.

CC don't cause illness. Only when CC are above 1 should you be concerned. CC of 0.5 or 1.0 is indicative of normal sanitation.

You look good.

Yay that's good news! Any idea of how long to wait on the CC test when adding the R-0871 to see if it turns light pink or not? I had waited about 15 seconds or longer and it had a very slight pink hue.. so wasn't too sure about that.

Yay that's good news! Any idea of how long to wait on the CC test when adding the R-0871 to see if it turns light pink or not? I had waited about 15 seconds or longer and it had a very slight pink hue.. so wasn't too sure about that.
Add the drops and read it immediately.

Any change in color after waiting should be ignored.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.