Former traditional AGP owner that now owns an Intex...

Hello all!
After 2 years without a pool (that we lost from damage during an awful storm) we have decided to once again take the plunge into pool ownership.
This time we opted for an Intex XTR 26x52 pool that I got a killer deal on in December (Merry Christmas to me!)
We live in the country and use a well.
We set up the pool on Saturday and slowly started the process of filling with our well (delivery of water is not an option so we take it very slow to be safe).
We used the Pleatco PPS6120 Filter Cartridge on the end of our hose to filter our well water this time, hoping that will help with any of the metals and such we fought for so many years.
Our pool will be filled by later this afternoon so we can begin running the pump.
We have our old skimmer/pump/filter from our last above ground pool but will be using the provided filter/pump from Intex for this season (altho we know adding the skimmer is a good idea the hubby is NOT fond of cutting into our brand new pool so I am agreeing to use what was provided, for now). So the sand filter that Intex provides is what we have.
In the past we have followed the BBB method but it's been a while since we set up a new pool from scratch.
I do have the fancy test tube water test kit (can't remember the name, again it's been 2 years) that's recommended on this site.
Do I need to test the water now as it stands and then add bleach or should I plan to add bleach right away as we know it'll need at least that (I assume)?
I'd like to pick up the chemicals I need on my home from school day.
Thanks for any help you can provide. We are excited but nervous, our well water has always given us grief...

Congrats on the new pool!

You'll need a fresh set of chemical reagents for your test kit. You'll also need liquid chlorine/bleach and stabilizer/CYA as your fill water will have none.

Thank you everyone!
YES, I ordered new chemical reagents this morning from Amazon!
I have about 8 gallons of bleach at home.
What should I buy for the stabilizer/CYA? Should I purchase that now or wait until I have the #s?
How much bleach should I add to start with (it will be a few days until the new reagents are here and I don't want the water to turn, it's an amazing 85 degrees here in Wisconsin this week!!!)

Reactions: Mdragger88
I buy the dry stabilizer from Walmart, I think it was Clorox brand. You can pick that up now as your fill water won't have any. Once your pool is filled, based on the numbers from PoolMath for your volume, you should be fine to start adding chemicals. Are you able to add CYA with the sock method? Let that start dissolving and aim for 30.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Yeah, I think I can manage the sock method, if not, is there another way? My return jets aren't as fancy on this pool as our previous pool (another reason I'm hoping I can convince my hubby to take the plunge and cut the liner for the skimmer, haha!). Altho if I recall we put the stabilizer in a sock and hang it over the return and it dissolves as the water goes back into the pool, correct? The return valve on this Intex pool is actually pretty decent, so I think the sock method should work good for that, thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I can manage the sock method, if not, is there another way? My return jets aren't as fancy on this pool as our previous pool (another reason I'm hoping I can convince my hubby to take the plunge and cut the liner for the skimmer, haha!). Altho if I recall we put the stabilizer in a sock and hang it over the return and it dissolves as the water goes back into the pool, correct? The return valve on this Intex pool is actually pretty decent, so I think the sock method should work good for that, thanks!
Yes, dangle the sock in front of a running return not touching the liner- squeeze the sock 👍🏻
There are adapters you can get to go from intex to regular pvc sizing if you wish to use your larger equipment without changing the wall fittings.
GAME 4560 40mm to 1 1/2 Inch Conversion Kit (For Intex & Bestway Pools) https://a.co/d/fieCJVk
TonGass (4-Pack Hose Adapter w/Collar Replace for Intex Fit for Threaded Connection Pumps PN. 25007 (4, 25007) https://a.co/d/ewkTDVT

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you!
I did already buy all the necessary conversion pieces, the hold up is my husband's hesitation to cutting the liner of our new pool for the skimmer, which I understand, but I do think (know) that we will really miss having a skimmer! We'll see how this summer (or at least this first month) goes, but then I'm guessing we'll take the plunge and convert!

Thank you!
I did already buy all the necessary conversion pieces, the hold up is my husband's hesitation to cutting the liner of our new pool for the skimmer, which I understand, but I do think (know) that we will really miss having a skimmer! We'll see how this summer (or at least this first month) goes, but then I'm guessing we'll take the plunge and convert!
The intex equipment is generally undersized - if it were me I’d use my big equipment with the adapters now to get things going & then do the skimmer cutting in later. When you get ready for the skimmer there’s alot of threads here about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.