New Pool Owner, First Time Opening

spqr2001

May 28, 2023
Central Illinois
Hi there everyone! I'm a new pool owner (we got it last summer) and I'm opening it for the first time this summer. Bought a starter kit appropriate to the pool size because, ya know, that's what us newbies do, and followed all the directions. However, I just can't seem to get it right. Pool is a really pretty blue, but not clear. I'll attach a pic of it and the most recent test strip from this morning. Any help would be appreciated! And remember, I'm a newbie at this so you may have to use pretty layman's terms. Thanks!

Pool stats:
Central Illinois
24' round (~15,000 gallons)
Above ground
Sand filter

Again, thanks for any help people can provide. I'm really new to this and honestly I'm at my wit's end this summer already seeing others swimming in their pool while I'm struggling with mine.

Attachments

• poolcolors.jpg
    poolcolors.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 5
  • cloroxlevels.jpg
    cloroxlevels.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to TFP!!! :swim:

You need to get a good test kit to manage your water. Trust me, it will pay for itself in all the chemicals you will not add. Link-->Test Kits Compared

Put 3ppm of liquid chlorine DAILY until you get your kit. When you get your kit, post your results and we'll get that pool cleaned up.

Proof...Link-->How Clear is TFP Clear?

Best help I can give you....DITCH the test strips. Please consider one of our recommended test kits in Pool School for accuracy and repeatability. You need to add 5 ppm of chlorine and get your CYA level to at least 30. PH needs to be in mid 7s. How are you chlorinating? Use bleach to get FC in there quickly and start dissolving some ranulated stabilizer/conditioner for the CYA. Spend time in Pool School seeing our recommended chemicals and levels. Welcome to the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.