New Pool Build - League City, TX - Help and opinions welcome

Flounder!!! That's looking good! They must have heard the weather forecasts - they're moving quickly!!!! Channel 2 said this morning the rain will hit around 11am and go through tomorrow morning. I'm hoping it goes as usual and they are wrong - that the rains hit later this evening!!!! Just right to cure the concrete!

The beams are for a pergola, right?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Suz.

8529bfab92593d8578cef2041036f2c8.jpg

27b1877db0aee25dd957e6c6e1878191.jpg

8121ac487fd6725b8c9ed2f41369e26b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Flounder!!! That's looking good! They must have heard the weather forecasts - they're moving quickly!!!! Channel 2 said this morning the rain will hit around 11am and go through tomorrow morning. I'm hoping it goes as usual and they are wrong - that the rains hit later this evening!!!! Just right to cure the concrete!

The beams are for a pergola, right?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Suz.

I'm hoping the rain stays off to the east of League City. They are almost done pouring. Fingers crossed!

The posts are for the patio/kitchen. Pics below.

No, I think it was JannyLee's thread. I'll check real quick. But those weren't necessarily for a tropical look. Most of them would work, but I didn't have any palms, etc.

I did find a good site for tropicals. Let me know if that's more what you're looking for.

I'm so excited about your deck and kitchen!!
Suz.

Here are some links I think are good if you haven't already found these. I really like any publication from A&M Horticulture.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/publications/Creating-the-Tropical-Look.pdf

This used to be a great gardening forum, but I haven't checked it out since Houzz took it over. (Please don't ever let Houzz take over TFP!!!!) But this thread has good info and nice photos even if it is from 2007.
Help! Tropical Plants in Texas?

Not all tropical in the below link, but some would work or complement a tropical garden.
Going Native: Our Top 10 Native Plants for Houston | Buchanans Native Plants

Specific for the Hibiscus - gotta have Hibiscus in a tropical yard... This link also includes the Texas hardiness zones.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu//galveston/educ_programs/Tropical-Hibiscus.pdf

A&M's Texas Superstar Plants is a terrific listing of plants that A&M gives it's gold seal approval. I've used some, and they are the best varieties. I'm not sure there are a lot of tropicals, but many would work.
Texas Superstar

(I hope you appreciate how difficult it is for me to give all these Aggie links since I'm a Tea Sipper......)

Lastly, here's an interesting but brief article from Austin (had to put in a nod to UT) giving tips on how to get a tropical look. It also lists some plants they recommend.
http://www.statesman.com/news/lifestyles/home-garden/get-the-feel-of-a-tropical-oasis-with-texas-friend/nRmmt/

I hope some of this is helpful.

Happy plant hunting!
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Flounder! Did they finish with the concrete? It's pouring here with lots of thunder. On the radar and my map of where League City is, it looks like you are about to get nailed if not already.

These are really spotty but strong cells and moving quickly. I just noticed you aren't online now. So this is all too late. I hope whatever storms you get, they don't harm your decking.

Keep us posted!
Suz.

Suz, it rained a little in the morning and let up just long enough for them to finish. They got the tarps on just as it started pouring. There will be imperfections from the rain but the still have to do the overlay which will cover all of it. Patio build is next.

60d82bf8a59bf6b00e08fe3da559cf06.jpg

Here are some links I think are good if you haven't already found these. I really like any publication from A&M Horticulture.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/publications/Creating-the-Tropical-Look.pdf

This used to be a great gardening forum, but I haven't checked it out since Houzz took it over. (Please don't ever let Houzz take over TFP!!!!) But this thread has good info and nice photos even if it is from 2007.
Help! Tropical Plants in Texas?

Not all tropical in the below link, but some would work or complement a tropical garden.
Going Native: Our Top 10 Native Plants for Houston | Buchanans Native Plants

Specific for the Hibiscus - gotta have Hibiscus in a tropical yard... This link also includes the Texas hardiness zones.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu//galveston/educ_programs/Tropical-Hibiscus.pdf

A&M's Texas Superstar Plants is a terrific listing of plants that A&M gives it's gold seal approval. I've used some, and they are the best varieties. I'm not sure there are a lot of tropicals, but many would work.
Texas Superstar

(I hope you appreciate how difficult it is for me to give all these Aggie links since I'm a Tea Sipper......)

Lastly, here's an interesting but brief article from Austin (had to put in a nod to UT) giving tips on how to get a tropical look. It also lists some plants they recommend.
http://www.statesman.com/news/lifestyles/home-garden/get-the-feel-of-a-tropical-oasis-with-texas-friend/nRmmt/

I hope some of this is helpful.

Happy plant hunting!
Suz.
Suz,

Thanks so much for the information! I leave most of the plant and flower stuff to my wife, but I will make sure that she reads all of this! Thanks!

I'm so glad your concrete made it in between rains! I was wondering all day. We had that one downpour - enough to soak the plants and add some water to the pool - then not another drop the rest of the day.

Even though the deck isn't finished, it still looks better, right? I was so happy for every little bit that left me with less mud and dirt!

I can't wait to see the next stage!
Suz.

I can't remember who it was but someone posted a bamboo website in Brazoria. I think it was called Carter Bamboo. Of course I could be wrong about that!!

Of course there's always my favorite recommendation - citrus trees!

<------has 2 Aggie sons. Sorry Suz. I'm an Aggie at heart (officially I'm an Illini) or at least honorary Aggie considering all the money we've given them!! Lol!

No problem Marla! I've yet to meet an Aggie I didn't like!!

They're both Texas schools which makes them great in my books! See, I can be fair and partial at the same time! Lol!

And giving a ton of money to a school would make me especially partial....
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.