New pool build in AZ!

Hello I will be watching your build thread. I am new to the forum. My wife and I decided a pool was a necessity here after moving from Northern NV. We are starting to investigate pools and are finding this site very informative. We are interestedly watching your progress since we are also in Wittmann.
Great! We just moved in a couple weeks ago....love it here! But it do get a little toasty, don't it :) Even if the water does get warmer, a dip will still cool ya off. And a pool is such a nice feature year-round for any backyard IMO, it's almost worth having just for the ambiance....

I would love a list of subs if you would share
Coming your way, I make no warranties or representations! :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: Do you own research and YMMV. There are quite a few from the east valley but several from the west valley. I am now getting calls from companies looking for work.

Reactions: AZRider
Hey Time2Relax,

Fellow West Valley’er. The pool building market has shifted quite a bit in the last few months. The subs are actually sitting around for work. Your ability to get them scheduled shouldn’t be a problem in the fall. I think fears of where the economy is going have people rethinking a pool purchase. The pool builders themselves have also just fully taken advantage of using supply shortages as an excuse to drag their feet with completing project in a reasonable time frame.

If you need a contact to help with your pool plans send me a DM. I’ve used the guy. His prices are very reasonable, uses pool studio, and does everything to scale (for permits). I also have sub lists.
Hi There
Just now reading this thread and I'm too interested as I will be building pool after first of the year. Could I also get your information on pool plans ect..

Thanks

Fence question - in my county (Maricopa) they only allow a chain link fence if the opening is less than 1-1/4". Mine measures 2-1/4". This could be a deal killer since my property is large.

Are there any work-arounds or variances for this....or an easy way to make the fence comply? It's probably 800 lf of fence...

Are there any work-arounds or variances for this....or an easy way to make the fence comply? It's probably 800 lf of fence...
What about Privacy slats ? The purpose of the code is to make it difficult to get a foot hold and climb. Slats would very effectively satisfy the code's purpose, but it would be the inspector's say if it satisfied him.

That's just the first one that popped up, I'm sure you can find it cheaper

Reactions: Time2Relax
What about Privacy slats ? The purpose of the code is to make it difficult to get a foot hold and climb. Slats would very effectively satisfy the code's purpose, but it would be the inspector's say if it satisfied him.

That's just the first one that popped up, I'm sure you can find it cheaper
Good thought! I just assumed that those would not work because they are not a permanent fixture..? I will have to call the county and see what they say...

Reactions: Newdude
I just assumed that those would not work because they are not a permanent fixture..?
You're doing 800ft, 2 inches at a time. Can confirm. Is miserable. They'll stay there forever after that effort as there's no way in tarnation you'd remove them 2 inches at a time. :ROFLMAO:

One could break I suppose, leaving the holes there bigger, but I can also shoot a rock through my solid PVC fence with my lawnmower and they don't worry about that, just that it wasn't climbable when the inspector saw it.

It'll be interesting to see what they say. Keep us posted.

Put a wrought iron or similar fence around the pool area. This will allow use of the rest of the backyard, while restricting access to the pool area. Much safer than allowing unrestricted accessfrom the backyard.

Slats in a chain link fence might still allow a foot hold. Check with the city or county first for their requirements.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There was a time long ago when pools in the Tucson area could be built without fences … we were rebels once! There are even homes out here in the county that have pools with no fences at all. They are grandfathered in under the old county codes when they were built decades ago … but, the minute you renovate the pool or even think about renovating it, you have to install a fence! We almost bought a home that had a cactus garden surrounding the pool with only one way to get to the pool deck. The cacti were the “safety fence” … 😂

Thanks fellas! I will avoid a separate wrought style pool fence like the plague, I think they just look awful. I seem to recall that people would put in a cheaper fence around the pool and just remove it after final inspection....
Oh, and there are zero kids with 10 miles. I kid you not. So this is not a real issue...just another get around the BS kinda thing...

Oh, and there are zero kids within 10 miles. I kid you not.
I see what you did there. Bravo.

But that doesn't mean there always won't be unless you live next to a river or something else that can't be built upon. Otherwise you're 2 years from a whole neighborhood of near enough kids.

Or animals.

Thanks fellas! I will avoid a separate wrought style pool fence like the plague, I think they just look awful. I seem to recall that people would put in a cheaper fence around the pool and just remove it after final inspection....
Oh, and there are zero kids with 10 miles. I kid you not. So this is not a real issue...just another get around the BS kinda thing...

There a “temporary” style security fences that are sometimes allowed by code. The posts are removable from the anchors in the deck and the fencing material is a flexible mesh fabric type. It allows you to have a fence that can be removed when you expect heavy use and then put back up when you don’t need to use the pool area.

Attractive Nuisance is the operative phrase. It doesn’t have to be about children being around. Without a fence you expose yourself to significant liability. Obviously up to you in terms of risk tolerance but willfully having no fence at all immediately puts you on the defensive in any tort situation.

I see what you did there. Bravo.

But that doesn't mean there always won't be unless you live next to a river or something else that can't be built upon. Otherwise you're 2 years from a whole neighborhood of near enough kids.

Or animals.
You noticed! Well no river but close. State Land, unbuildable. But I guess one of the current homes could transition to a kids home. I don't want to present an actual hazard to the neighborhood and I won't...but I will find a way to get this fence legit, and in a safe way. Maybe attach (permanently, weld?) a mesh, like hardware cloth, to the chain link?

Maybe attach (permanently, weld?) a mesh, like hardware cloth, to the chain link
IIRC the chain link had to be a specific gauge so that you couldn't use chicken wire and such. Likely you'd pass the hole hangup and fail the thickness requirement. It's always something I tell ya.

There a “temporary” style security fences that are sometimes allowed by code. The posts are removable from the anchors in the deck and the fencing material is a flexible mesh fabric type. It allows you to have a fence that can be removed when you expect heavy use and then put back up when you don’t need to use the pool area.

Attractive Nuisance is the operative phrase. It doesn’t have to be about children being around. Without a fence you expose yourself to significant liability. Obviously up to you in terms of risk tolerance but willfully having no fence at all immediately puts you on the defensive in any tort situation.
That's the fence I was thinking of. I'm aware of the whole attractive nuisance thing. Been self-employed my whole life and liability is always the boogieman. I think just be generally safe and smart and CYA with massive insurance incl umbrella. I don't want to live for the negative possibilities....

Reactions: Newdude
The code is as you state - link opening size. Are you sure your inspector actually checks it? I know here where I am - they do not. I checked my two neighbor's chain link fences when I was building my pool. Both had opening sizes above the code limit. One was built 12+ years ago, the other 2 years ago (mine was 1 year ago). Mine is built just like the 2 year old one, just above the code limit, same fence company. The inspector wanted to see the door alarm function, and checked that the 2 gates both swung outward and had latches. He did not check the chain link opening size.

So - since it sounds like you have fence already - you can have the inspection done, if they fail you for opening size, then you get to address the failure, if they pass you - you are golden.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.