New Owner/Builder, Los Angeles

So lots of progress since my last post. The decking installers started about two and a half weeks ago on the pavers. I now know why so many people do concrete instead, this paver business is a lot of manual labor. Below are some pics that show the steps that they used in my backyard. I skipped the pictures of them digging out the dirt to get to six inches below level, but that process took four days before anything else could be done.

First the gravel base...

IMG_4283_zpsejlvkxao.jpg

Then the decomposed granite....

IMG_4288_zpss2yvpks0.jpg

IMG_4289_zpslblccuwr.jpg

Then the sand...

IMG_4294_zpsi2yq97z2.jpg

And finally the stone pavers...

IMG_4301_zpsinj6brgl.jpg

IMG_4322_zpsuxprocgx.jpg

It's looking great. I've been waiting to see your pics. We just got our plaster done today and are filling the pool and I wondered if you were at this point too. How long til your finish is done? Have you picked the color of your pebble yet?

Julie, congrats on finishing up your pool! I wish I knew how much longer for mine. I have not done this before, and I have no one to push to move faster since I am doing the build myself, but I think that I am in the home stretch now. The tile guys are coming back on Saturday to finish up since my plumbing issue was finally resolved, then the plumber is coming back to hook up all of the equipment. Then the city has to come back to sign off before the plaster is put in. Theoretically, this can all be done in one week, but I have zero hope of that happening. If I have water before the end of September I will be super happy.

And no, I haven't picked out the color of the pebble yet. What did you end up going with? My friend who has pebble is trying to talk me into getting plaster. He says that the pebble is too rough on the feet, but I think it just may be the way his pool was finished.

We we went with basic old white plaster. We just don't like pebble that much so we couldn't justify the price. We were going to do quartz because we understand it's more durable, but our PB talked us out of it. He doesn't feel it's worth the extra cost either. He said plaster will last longer if it's maintained well, so that's our intent. I hope to get 15 years out of it and by the time we need to replaster maybe our tastes will have evolved and we'll be willing to give pebble a go. And we chose white because we don't want the shadows and splotches that colored plaster and quartz has. I have to admit, it looks a little boring, especially next to our other design choices, but we got color LED lights so we can spruce it up at night. It's like pairing white jeans with a black blouse instead of an orange or pink blouse. It works, but could have been better.

Julie, congrats on finishing up your pool! I wish I knew how much longer for mine. I have not done this before, and I have no one to push to move faster since I am doing the build myself, but I think that I am in the home stretch now. The tile guys are coming back on Saturday to finish up since my plumbing issue was finally resolved, then the plumber is coming back to hook up all of the equipment. Then the city has to come back to sign off before the plaster is put in. Theoretically, this can all be done in one week, but I have zero hope of that happening. If I have water before the end of September I will be super happy.

And no, I haven't picked out the color of the pebble yet. What did you end up going with? My friend who has pebble is trying to talk me into getting plaster. He says that the pebble is too rough on the feet, but I think it just may be the way his pool was finished.

We we went with basic old white plaster. We just don't like pebble that much so we couldn't justify the price. We were going to do quartz because we understand it's more durable, but our PB talked us out of it. He doesn't feel it's worth the extra cost either. He said plaster will last longer if it's maintained well, so that's our intent. I hope to get 15 years out of it and by the time we need to replaster maybe our tastes will have evolved and we'll be willing to give pebble a go. And we chose white because we don't want the shadows and splotches that colored plaster and quartz has. I have to admit, it looks a little boring, especially next to our other design choices, but we got color LED lights so we can spruce it up at night. It's like pairing white jeans with a black blouse instead of an orange or pink blouse. It works, but could have been better.
I believe I've mention on here that we know a guy who is with the largest plaster company here in town, has been doing this work for 20 years and I asked him with access to all the pool options he has, if we was building a pool today what would he go with (at the time we were trying to make our decision on which plaster to use)? I was shocked by his answer, I was expecting some exotic pebble or quarts and he told me, plain white plaster. He's personally plastered thousands of pools and now he goes out and inspects post plaster work for his company he said it has the fewest issues, you don't have to worry about too warm of water in the Vegas summers, long lasting if you maintain it. Your PB's thoughts seem to be in-line with what we were told.

Love your decking BTW, wish we could have done something like that but in the Vegas sun/heat just wasn't an option for us. Nice build!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Apapaz2, you're not that far from me. If you guys want to stop by and take a look at our freshly done white plaster pool you're more than welcome to. I can PM you our address if you want. You can also see our color LED lights with the white plaster and the various themes they have (Carribean, American, etc.), but it has to be dark outside to see the light show. We're going to see them for the 1st time tonight. Can't wait!

I love that ledger stone. We used something similar on the outside of our raised spa and I just want to see more of it cuz I love it so much. Glad you got the sheer descents instead of the rainfall descents like we did. Ours are way too loud and I think the sheers are quieter and more soothing. Where did you get the shade structure? It's great. Did you put it together yourself? I'll have to take more pics of the light show and post for you soon.

Yes, I put it together with my brother while the tile guys were working. Took a full two days, and it think it turned out pretty good. But more importantly, my wife loves it! It is a product from a company called yardistry that I found at costco. They have a website, yardistrystructures.com that has a bunch of great products. The gazebo I built feels really well put together. I would buy another one if I had the space! And Kimkats, I haven't picked out any furniture yet, so I might go shopping today to check out some Labor Day sales and see if I can find some good end of summer deals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.