New Owner/Builder, Los Angeles

Very smart way to handle the skimmer lid and auto fill cover. I think our auto fill works differently as it's on a controller/timer from the sprinkler system and we schedule when and how long we want it to fill. There's no lid in the coping. How does yours work?

Very smart way to handle the skimmer lid and auto fill cover. I think our auto fill works differently as it's on a controller/timer from the sprinkler system and we schedule when and how long we want it to fill. There's no lid in the coping. How does yours work?

It has a float inside of it just like a toilet. If the float is too low, water fills the cavity, which flows into the pool, making sure that the pool is always at the correct level. There is no controller or timer at all. My plumber recommended this method, not sure exactly why, but it seems to work well without any input from me.

- - - Updated - - -

I love all your finish choices! The neutral colors and especially the brown mosaic tile is beautiful!

Thank you, but I wish I could take the credit. Many of the choices were made over my objections, but the wife won out, and now I am glad she did!

I think the color of the pool has stabilized into what should be the final hue. Tropics blue turned out better than I could have imagined. It really is what we had in mind. Here is a pic taken at 1pm...

IMG_4493_zpsutoqtxbd.jpg

Also the plumber came by and fixed the sheer descent. Here is a picture of it taken at around 6 pm. You can see the darker color of the pool in the shade.

IMG_4492_zpsovov7kip.jpg

So I think that is end for me as far as the pool build goes. Thanks everyone for the kind words, it really was an adventure. For anyone else thinking about an owner build, all I can say is that I ended up spending the same amount as the lowest bid that I received, and 25K less than the highest bid, but each of those bids included only the cheapest materials and pool options. I am glad that I got all the perks that I wanted in the end, especially the automation. Being able to control the pool equipment from my cell phone without getting up from my lounge chair is an awesome perk. Good luck to each of you in your build, and if you need a reference in Los Angeles, feel free to pm me! :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It does look really awesome! Did you do anything else custom to the mix besides adding the glass and shells? Proportionally, how much glass did you add and what colors?

Congratulations on a job well done! I would consider it a major success being able to go the owner builder route and getting all the upgrades you want while staying in the same price range or lower as the builder bids you got.

It does look really awesome! Did you do anything else custom to the mix besides adding the glass and shells? Proportionally, how much glass did you add and what colors?

Congratulations on a job well done! I would consider it a major success being able to go the owner builder route and getting all the upgrades you want while staying in the same price range or lower as the builder bids you got.

Thanks Jaime. I was told that the glass was 20%, and it was a mix of dark blue, light blue and clear beads. The shell was 10% of the mix.

Also, for anyone wondering, here is a list of everything that I included in my build which would have been considered an upgrade on every bid I received from a pool builder:

Included in Bid > Upgrade

Concrete Deck > 12x24 Travertine Pavers
Regular lighting > Jandy LED multicolor lights
Regular Plaster > Mini-Pebble with glass and shells
2 pumps > 3 pumps (1 VS) and blower, all automated with wireless controller
No Spa Side Remote > Spa Side Remote
No Sheer Descent > 5' Sheer Descent
6x6 Pool Tile > 1x1 pool tile
6" of Pool Tile around pool > 8" of pool tile around pool and tile on entire face of spa where it comes out of the pool
6 jets in spa > 10 jets in spa
No deep returns from heater > 2 deep returns from heater
6x6 spa > 8x7 spa
Concrete coping > Travertine coping
No Saltwater Cell > Saltwater cell
Regular drain covers > Mini-Pebble drain covers

That's pretty much all I can remember at this point. I hope that helps anyone thinking about going the owner builder route. I am not sure what all of those upgrades would have cost me if I went through a builder, I will just say that I am glad that I didn't have to find out. The crazy thing is that I asked all of the builders to include the high end stuff in their bids, but they just didn't. I guess that is where they make their money, so I can't blame them.

I really like the finish on your pool. I honestly think the glass helps the pool water pop more in pictures. I know when I see the water of a pool with glass it looks more translucent. I don't know how to explain what I am seeing but that is my own personal opinion :) I don't know how it looks in person but I can't wait to see one!

I'm really in love with both yours and Jaimslaw's Tropics finishes! Since his was a custom blend that removed the tri-colored rock mix and added glass and shells, I asked him if could take a very close up picture of the finish to see what colored pebbles are visible. Would you mind doing the same, please? Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.