New in-ground in swampy Louisiana. Build is ON!!!

Ugh-so you are in the pool brushing.... Great can't wait for December to start ours (hopefully as opposed to January :)). Too bad my nephews don't live closer. I agree with Kim, the LED light show is great. What a difference the colors make. I know a lot of people ask about the standard white versus the color LED, but those colors make a pool a beautiful night feature too.

I really like your idea of a checkerboard sod pattern. I think I've seen that before on some garden sites - I know you're doing it to let the sod grow in but I think it's going to look pretty cool at the start. Thanks for continuing to share the post filling with water process - I'm taking notes. -Karen

Looking great with the lights! You are making me feel better about having only one light in the pool and 1 light in the spa....the PB told me that one light is enough, but I always wish that I have two since our pool is long and narrow. By looking at yours, one light does do a good job lighting up the whole pool.

So, it is easier to brush in the water.....must be cold. Will be colder when Karen's and mine pool are done......

I hate brushing...10 days in and there is still a ton of dust in the pool. I think the plumber is coming tomorrow to run the gas line for the heater. Its a good thing I assumed there would be no PB crew on site today to finish as promised. Because you totally know there was no one. LOL.

Its also a good thing I'm tech savvy - plaster dust was still accumulating in the spa - because its not set to drain from the spa drains unless the spa is on. I thought I'd turn it to spa to get the water with dust draining for a little while to filter it out, Well you know they set the intelliflo pump for the pool and not the spa, so when you set the easy touch to spa - no pump ran. Sigh. I figured it out and set a speed for the spa, but really. What a load of codswallop.

Still hubby and I busted butts and got some plants in. Not the best pictures into the sun, but well, you'll get the drift. We need about another $200 of plants and about $1000 worth of sod, but we don't have it so there'll have to be rye grass in the rest of the yard till spring and expansion slots in the flower bed for a little while longer.

l9IpzLJ.jpg

PDZdAKY.jpg

Wow! I can't believe you got all of that landscaping done and that its been 10 days of brushing already. Everything looks so good. I ordered the corner brush today - thanks to your recommendation... You are so industrious - it took me 3 days to paint my tiny laundry room. - Karen

Hi Eva, what kind of corner brush did you get and did you get it online?

I think that I will need it pretty soon. So any recommendations there will be great!

Like the landscaping that you had done. Not sure about your sun exposure at that corner, you can put some flowering shrubs or some knock out roses or landscape rose to give the corner some pop of colors if it is a sunny corner. If it is more a shady corner, azalea is pretty when in bloom if the spring and fall. Or the best is endless summer hydrangea, if you really have a shaded area. Tremendous bloomers in the spring, with beautiful colors. Once it is established, it takes care of it self with little needed for anything else.

No need to hurry on landscaping. As the yard develops, and you get more chance to see what you like and add a little bit at the time. On your pretty deck, some nice planters with annual flowers will be pretty too. In the mean time, enjoy your pretty pool and send positive vibe toward my way.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Eva you kick butt girl! That looks so nice!

Good for you for being able to figure out how to make your spa work! Just think if the poor people who do not have your skills or ability to learn how to do things. They have to rely on the PB! SCARY!

Kim

cc - thanks for the landscape recommendations. That corner is quite sunny in summer - the fence side with not much planted in it is on the south side of the property - the fence shades it, more so in winter with the lower sun elevation. So we are holding off on planting there - probably do some azaleas to anchor the area and then fill in with perennial flowers this spring. I do have an area by the house that gets no direct sun because its north facing, and I think I'm going to try Hydrangeas there, also some aspidistra and hostas. I have a varied ginger I bought I'm hoping will do okay there.

As far as brush I got a stanley pro corner brush - I probably wouldn't recommend it - the bristles are already bent out of shape from scrubbing and I was hoping for a metal bristled brush, because the PB told me to brush for the first 10 or so days with a stainless steel brush, and on Amazon, it looked like that was what it was. It was just polypropylene.
either way, its just like a toilet brush with a telescopic pole connection, its not fancy.

Anyway, we had the plumber come to hook up the heater to the gas supply - my PB had told me he had hooked up the electronic igniter already.

Well after extensive testing this afternoon, I can confirm the heater does indeed work. As does the blower. And that the spa coping is just about the right size for our ice chest...

The blower is fantastic. OMG, don't get a spa without one. It really increases the effectiveness of the spa jets. We have waterway twirlybird jet fittings in the spa it and they are awesome, adjustable like in a therapeutic spa. My husband loves it and says it helps his back and I'm so happy about that.
Oh and the intellibrite lights are so cool with all the bubbles of the spa going - and the light dances off the arctic lagoon tile - its so pretty. Every color gives it a new look, its fabulous. I need to get a waterproof case for my iPhone as I can see it taking a swim if I'm not careful, but it was really nice to be able to turn on and off the blower and adjust the temperature of the water with the phone. We opted not to upgrade the 250K BTU heater, and it took about an hour to heat the spa up from 68 to 94. Its a true 7x7, the PB estimates it's about 800 gallons. My husband has already figured out from the gas bill it cost us about $3 to heat it up and sit in it for 4 hours. Bargain. We decided not to bother heating up the pool, with the 250K BTU heater it would have taken several hours and I really only wanted to do it to make sure the dogs knew how to get out if they fell in, so for the moment, they are getting a reprieve from swimming lessons. I'm trying to keep them locked in when I'm not home, until I'm sure they can get out if they fall in. Plus all my doggies hung out with us all afternoon while we were out there either on the deck or on the newly planted grass so that makes me a very happy doggy mom.

Anyway, I'm still recovering from the pitcher of tequila sunrise I had to drink in the spa 'for science', so I'm going to skulk back into the shadows to nurse my future hangover...

So, Jimbo, translation from PB into normal human language - plaster by around February...:crazy:

I personally refused to believe it was happening until I saw it and I never did, because I was in Houston when it happened. In fact I still don't believe I have plaster. I believe I'm dreaming, a wonderful, wet, heated and splashy dream. Oh God, please don't wake me up.

But on the upside, at least you got to talk to the fabled PB. Nice of him to give you that to hold on to. You'll be there soon, brushing with the best of us. Hang in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.