New in-ground in swampy Louisiana. Build is ON!!!

If you only have one gfi then it's probably for the lights. Single pole.
The 220v 2 pole breakers that feed your equipment should also be gfi by code. Unfortunately they aren't readily available and cost around $100 each. That's why they don't use them.

Pictures with bubblers working

dtw7i.gif

And the overhead shot, it had cleared up a lot overnight, but I gave it a brushing this morning already and clouded it up again.

TnGL4wm.jpg

I hope soon I can post pictures with something green around the pool.

I have a couple of guys working here today, I have no idea what they are doing, and I actually think I don't care...funny how once it has water in it and it's circulating your blood pressure goes down.

Edit: I eventually caved, apparently I did want to know what they were doing to my pool. The answer was installing the lights, the spa jets and general clean up. Yay. I'm quite excited about the lights.

Can you take a photo from your workshop so we can see the view you'll have when you're "working" - which of course will be much better than my view when I'm working :). It is going to look so great when you have sod growing right up to the edges - for some reason I'm thinking it would remind me of an English lawn / English garden. - Karen

It does sound lovely. They have the pump spooled up to maximum and I can't hear it until I get by the building, and it certainly doesn't compete with the water sounds, so I'm pleased about that.

I ordered a corner brush on Amazon, because its impossible to get the brush into the corners by the steps and tanning ledge. Actually into any of the corners. Sigh, I had to have a geometric pool. I can see the dust accumulating there and I just can't get the brush in right. Its annoying me.

I'm about to have an argument with the PB about running a vacuum. He said don't run anything lest it gouge the plaster and I can't see how one of those triangular things they make for above grounds with brushes on the bottom and rubber bumpers is going to do half the damage I probably do when I ram the hard metal brush into the wall because I can't see for all the plaster dust on the bottom.

Besides I have no vacuum plate for the skimmer and how am I supposed to keep the spa clean? The pool cleaner won't go in it. So I'm going to have to run something.

And then, the PB coming over in the am to do the chemicals, has turned into mid afternoon and still not here, God Forbid I should need to go out and do anything right? Or Gasp, perhaps having the courtesy to let me know so I can rearrange my schedule rather than just not get any of it done while I wait for his Highness to appear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ooh that looks beautiful! And I do see a resemblance between your gorgeous pool and what I hope ours will look like one day. What kind of pool finish did you get - plaster? pebble? Would love to know the color. I'm sure it will change a bit too as you brush it. Thanks for the advice on the corner brush too. I wouldn't have thought of that. I'm just going to stare longingly at your photos for a while...

Aprillh - my finish is DiamondBrite in french gray.

So, anyway, the two guys here the other day installed the lights and 'cleaned up'. Then someone came on Friday and installed the control cables for the pump and heater to the easy touch. Apparently they weren't happy with the back pressure in the plumbing and my spillover wasn't working unless they had the spa valves and pump almost wide open, so they installed smaller returns in the pool. My bubblers are now much higher too. I can also play with my pump settings on the screen logic.

There is an issue with my cleaner pump though. Not sure what. It kicked on - because the PB set a program to make it turn on daily, but we heard it attempting to run and it sounded like it was trying to run dry and it was HOT. So we popped the breaker on it - I don't think the guy who came the other day fixed it because the breaker is still popped.

We weren't there when the guy came because we went off on a plant buying trip! My PB gave us a tip on a place in central LA where all the wholesale nurseries are - so we headed out and got a bunch of plants and some Italian cypress trees to dress up the pool area and an area by the pathway. Today we rented a tiller, tilled the whole yard, we bought some soil to build up planting beds around the pool, got some edging and a little bit of sod to go right around the pool. We have rye grass to plant in the rest of the yard and in the spring we'll sod the rest - probably in a checkerboard pattern to save on cost. It should grow in completely by the end of the year I think.

Monday I think they are coming to finish the tile on the back of the spa, seal the coping, finish the spray deck coating, fix the issues that need fixing etc. Well he said Monday, so that probably means Thursday or something.

We put off the plumber on Friday to hook up the heater, so we could go plant shopping but he's coming Tuesday instead. There's still way too much plaster dust in the pool for my liking to run it anyway.

As far as how its looking chem-wise, I'm not sure whether I've had a pool school or not yet. My PB came out and tested the water. Which I'd already tested. Of course. I told him not to bother getting me a test kit after he forgot to bring me the one 'he had to bring me'. Which was a pentair kit that did an FAS chlorine (not DPD), pH, CYA, TA and CH. At least he came with a K-2005 to test the pool. Not strips. So he went up slightly in my estimation. He asked me to show him what I had, I have a kind of conglomeration of test kits - a Taylor FAS-DPD, and a Taylor kit that I got from Leslie's that does the rest of the stuff, plus big bottles to refill the CYA test and the FAS-DPD reagent, my sample sizer and my speed stir. Any questions. No I think I'm good.

My free chlorine is was running 3.5ppm, but I had a cc of 1ppm. We have 2 'tablets' in each skimmer basket - I am trying not to cringe too badly. I keep telling myself its just for 30 days.

I'm keeping tabs on the pH, the first day I tested the water color was fuchsia and took 18 drops of acid demand to get it to 7. Good grief. Its running 7-ish now. My Calcium hardness is really low though, so we are adding calcium 5 lbs - directly in the skimmer (cringe) at a time to get it higher. We also added stabilizer on Friday. In the skimmer. Sigh. I offered him a skimmer sock and everything, but no.

My PB keeps telling me how impressed he is that I understand the chemistry so well. He asked me if I had backwashed it - and was quite impressed when I told him since he added all the chemicals direct in the skimmer, its likely its all now caught in the sand and needs time to dissolve so why would I backwash it. Apparently it takes people who don't read TFP a long time to get that concept.

Oh and I've kind of been in the pool - brushing - which is highly over-rated by the way, is easier if I stand on the benches and steps. So I've been in up to my thighs. Considering the water temp has only been around 70, thats about all I'm willing to do without a heater working.

The lights work!

52kI6b6.jpg

dNufdzJ.jpg

This last one I just took. You can see the higher bubblers

yDUwnPl.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.