New IG Pool Build - Buckeye (Phoenix) AZ - Excited and Impatient!

Grats Diva! So happy that the pb is being cooperative with you and even gave you blue surf pebble sheen, very nice :) Can't wait to see how the color turns out for you (I've chosen the same for my own pool). I think you still need to wait the 30 days for the salt start up, even with pebble sheen.

Grats Diva! So happy that the pb is being cooperative with you and even gave you blue surf pebble sheen, very nice :) Can't wait to see how the color turns out for you (I've chosen the same for my own pool). I think you still need to wait the 30 days for the salt start up, even with pebble sheen.

You are going to LOVE the blue smurf, er um, I mean blue surf! :) They also added luminous glass, blue blend, so that is making it even extra special. They will be here at 8 a.m. for acid washing and then we will be filling it up! If I could jump for joy, I would! I can't wait! They are installing my handrail tomorrow too, so I can get my crippled butt in the pool and enjoy it. :) I sure hope it is not too cold.

Of primary note - defer to your PB for startup procedures as they are warranting the surface. The link below is from the National Plaster Council for their startup procedures. From there it is has become general guidance to wait 28 days before adding salt.

http://www.nptpool.com/sites/nptpool.com/files/NPC_SwimmingPoolStart-UpProcedures.pdf

Regarding heaters, (although solar is not the heater usually considered) we give guidance that they should not be used for the first 30 days also. The goal is to not introduce plaster dust into the heater system (which would equally apply to solar as the panels can get clogged). NPC above says not until all plaster dust is gone. In the end, you should wait 30 days.

Good for you in not pushing the issue with the test kits! Karma can bite hard so.............better leave her alone!

PRETTY! Good call on waiting on the pour! Sure they will clean it up.............why even chance it!

Kim:cat:

Diva, you will love the Smurf! Were you able to get any shells added? Yes, definitely wait 30 days for salt and heater use. Also, you will need to brush the pool a couple times a day to get rid of plaster dust.

The TF-100 test kit is great and the instructions are pretty easy to follow. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money to get the SpeedStir. It makes testing super easy and fast and is worth every penny!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and put some kind of rag over the hose ends so they don't scratch the new plaster. I also attached an empty water bottle with a rubber band to each of ours so the hoses would float up as it filled (a tip posted here on TFP!). To get an idea of how long it's going to take to fill, time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket and then do the math.

Thanks for the advice, I will get the speedstir and already ordered the test kit. I did the 5 gallon test and sadly, with one hose it took 1 minute to fill the 5 gallon bucket, not a good sign...lol. These photos are after 3 hours of filling with 2 hoses, the deep end is 5 ft., so we have a long way to go. I do love the color and the shimmer of the luminous. I had luminous, blue blend added. I will have my husband go out there and put a rag on the bottom and also attach a bottle, good idea. More photos later when completely full.

THIS IS RIGHT BEFORE FILLING, AFTER ACID WASH.

finalfinal.jpg

THIS IS AFTER 3 HOURS OF FILLING WITH 2 HOSES

water1.jpg

water2.jpg

Attachments

• water1.jpg
    water1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 149

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh wow Blue Surf with glass, sounds fabulous! Can't wait to see if full and the sparkling blue color. :)

I am hoping it will not be the color it is today, the day after filling it, because it is more green than blue and I was adamant that I did not want any green at all in my water color. Hopefully it will change soon and is just part of the initial process.

You should hire yourself out to be a super for other folks who are getting pools built. This thread is absolutely inspiring. Want to come to Tucson and beat up my pool builder? I am 45 days in and they haven't even broken ground.

That would be awesome and I would actually enjoy doing something like that. As long as it would not require any physical labor, lol. It is amazing what you can accomplish when all you can do is sit in a wheelchair all day long. It gives me plenty of time to research, call for best pricing, be on top of everything, and most importantly, pester the life out of the pb to the point that they want your pool done sooner than you do so they can get you out of their hair! Haha.

Sorry to hear your pb is taking so long. That was one of the main reasons we went with Caribbean.......the other pb's we received quotes from estimated a minimum of 25-30 days before they would even break ground, and one of them said it would be 45-60 days before they would excavate, which is ridiculous. Based on the timelines presented by 6 other companies, we would barely have excavation done at this point with any of them and we are already completed with Caribbean. It also doesn't hurt that apples to apples, they had the best price and overall value. Many of their standard options were upgrades and additional charges for the other pb's.

I hope they get the lead out and git-r-done!
Well, this looks like the slowest fill ever! No worries, soon you will be :paddle:

It took 14 hours to fill the pool, so clearly the calculation was off and I don't know if it was because the water pressure changed or what but our pool is about 11,000 gallons and with 2 hoses and 14 hours, that means we actually filled at a rate of 13 gallons a minute. I am just so glad it is filled now.......startup people are coming in a few hours and then we will see the real deal. :)

I am worried about the color of the water.......I was expecting a true medium blue but this is more like a greenish blue, which is the last thing I wanted. I do not like a green hue at all and wanted a true blue. I hope this is something that is just temporary and will work itself out over the next few days. Is this normal to have a greenish coloring for a while?

Here are photos from this morning. The startup people are coming in a few hours so it will be cleaned then. Please excuse all the leaves and debris on the surface. That stupid tree is going to drive me nuts! I am calling the tree service on Monday and having it removed, if possible, otherwise, I will be cleaning those little leaves every day.

filled2.jpg

filled3.jpg

Diva, that is to be expected. I believe most pools start out a green color. Be sure to takes pics so you can see the change just after a few days.
Here is what my Blue Smurf looked like after fill.

Hers what it looks like now. This is in the shade.

That is good to know, thank you for sharing your before and after photos, I appreciate it. cbrach411, I actually like your before better than your after. :)

I am waiting on the startup people to get here so I can get the pump going and get it cleaned up. There is a Mesquite tree that is hanging over the pool and a bunch of tiny little leaves and such are falling in the pool. This is going to have to be taken care of right away. I am contacting my HOA right away to see if we can remove the tree and replace it with something different. I am allergic to mesquite so this has to be taken care of. I did not even notice it was mesquite until just today.

Alright, the startup crew came, they told me I have to wait until tomorrow to get in because they put shock in the water. Not sure what that is yet or why but I wish I could get in tonight. :-( I will be in there first thing in the morning though, I have waited a long time and I am past ready. Oh, the water is much more blue now, such a difference since this morning even. Here are a couple of photos of the smurf bathtub. LOL The startup guy said tomorrow the water will be crystal clear, I can't wait to see it and I will try to get some photos of the sparkle.

waterday2.jpg

waterday2a.jpg

I have a question about the salt in my water.......I will ask here and then if no answers, I will post out on the forum. I am going to be converting to SWG soon but I believe my tap water has a higher than normal salt content so I am going to test the water for salt before adding the salt and then adjust from there so I don't put in too much. Here is my question.....I tested my tap water with my Taylor salt water testing kit and according to the results, I had to put in 9 drops of solution to get the color of red/salmon. Does this mean my tap water has 1800 PPM of salt already, before I ever even add the first bag of salt? It is the same water we just put in the pool so I am assuming this is correct. Isn't that a really high amount of salt?

I use a filter but I have always thought the water and ice still tasted salty, even after filtering. I am starting to see why, lol.

Should I test the water first, then add the salt based on where I want it to be? I don't want to overdo it and end up having to drain the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.