New House with Salt Water System - Need chemical help!

OK, so let me throw this out there, and see if I'm correct.

Backwashing will clear the filter. So if the filter is full when I vacuum, it will just pump it back in the pool. But after backwashing the filter will be cleaned and I should be able to vacuum. Once the filter is full again, I would see it being pumped back in the pool...

Is that close to being correct?

After you backwash, what is your filters PSI using the gauge mounted on it? Once your filter starts allowing stuff (what exactly are you vacuuming up?) into the pool, if you quit vacuuming and turn the valve on filter and let the pump run what is your PSI on the filter?

If it has gone up by 25% then you need to backwash.

SportzTawk said:
Ok, I was only wondering because when I tried vacuuming with it on Filter, It was just shooting everything back into the pool.

That, at least to me, sounds like a re-circulation setting where the water is bypassing the filter media. If stuff is shooting back into the pool, then you either have no filter media or you are bypassing it. I could see colored water exiting through the filter, but not sediment passing through completely.

As mv suggested, if you are on backwash and not on recirculate then something may not be right.

SportzTawk said:
OK, so let me throw this out there, and see if I'm correct.

Backwashing will clear the filter. So if the filter is full when I vacuum, it will just pump it back in the pool. But after backwashing the filter will be cleaned and I should be able to vacuum. Once the filter is full again, I would see it being pumped back in the pool...

Is that close to being correct?
Backwashing will remove the debris the filter has caught. If the filter is full, your vacuum will have less vacuum, but your filter will catch even more stuff until the flow stops.

I think duraleigh was suggesting to do this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html. I too would suggest trying that. While you are in there, confirm the filter is ~2/3 full with sand.

Your sand could be channeled but sometimes with some filter/pump combos some algae - especially if there is a lot of it, will blow back into the pool. I agree opening it up and investigating is worth it... just for the piece of mind.

PSI was at 12, and I was about to go look at it again.

I'm only trying to vacuum up the dead algae. That's why I was asking if that's something I can let the pump handle by itself by just brushing it loose occasionally.

After checking, it had gone back up to about 16 psi, backwashed, it was dark green, then turned it back on filter. Doing this the last couple hours has made the pool noticeably bluer.

I will go check the sand filter shortly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still confused as to how if I run the pump by itself and backwash, it's getting rid of the algae and slowly getting the pool better, but if I run the vacuum it immediately shoots it all out the jets. Would I not be seeing the same thing since the pump is sucking up algae either way? I checked and the PSI was about 13 when it was pumping the algae back in when vacuuming.

I have a hose running now to give it a little water since I have been backwashing, which means I'll probably put some more stuff in to keep in in shock level.

I don't know if there is an easy way to check my sand levels, as it looks like I have to dismantle the top to get to it. I'll try to get to that once I find the manual.

I don't think it is the sand channeling thing, as when I run my backwash, it is quite filthy so I think it is all running fine which is why I haven't checked it out quite yet. Looking around online, it says the common cause was vacuuming on the filter setting and to run it on waste. I guess that's why I'm confused. Multiple different solutions to the same problem.

Also, it doesn't take very long for the filter to need a backwash... Maybe every 10-15 minutes.

This is the reference I was using:

The "Filter" position is the correct multi-port valve setting for vacuuming a relatively clean pool. That is the setting we use on our normal weekly cleaning vacuum jobs. However, when vacuuming a pool that has just had it's mesh safety cover removed and is covered with a layer of fine dust, the multi-port valve setting should be "Waste".
This also applies to a pool covered with dead algae after shocking the pool or lots of dirt. If you use the "Filter" setting in these cases, you will notice the dust (or algae) blowing right back into the pool, if you watch the returns (the holes where water comes back into the pool).

Either way works. If you vacuum on filter, much of the stuff gets caught in the filter, then you backwash it when you pressure goes up 25% from clean. If you vacuum to waste, you will have to replace a lot more water, but it works as well. Generally, unless you have thick gunk on the bottom that you can get quickly, I would leave it on filter. You should still be catching more then is sent back to the pool. Also, unless you have a ton of gunk on the bottom, I would just run the filter without the vacuum and brush brush brush the pool occasionally. This will get the stuff that may be attached to the walls and floor loose and into the water for the chlorine (and eventually the filter) to take care of it.

Pool clarity hasn't really progressed the last few hours, though the backwash is still spitting out the green stuff pretty regularly. So I will just be patient and see what happens.

Did another water test:

pH: 7.8

Chlorine: 27

CC: 0

Alkalinity: 70

CYA: ~65

"I would just run the filter without the vacuum and brush brush brush the pool occasionally. This will get the stuff that may be attached to the walls and floor loose and into the water for the chlorine (and eventually the filter) to take care of it."

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing now. I believe I've only got algae to worry about, so I'm putting the vacuuming on hold.

I haven't exactly reached a stand still, but I have noticed the pool is clearing up much slower than it has been. I can just barely make out the bottom ring along the wall now on the deep end (~11-12 feet) and the entire pool now has a blue tint rather than green! I haven't performed the Overnight FC test yet, but plan on doing that tonight.

I guess this is the part where I just make sure I brush often and be patient?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.