New House with Salt Water System - Need chemical help!

I haven't added any myself, not sure if the previous owners put any in. We've only been in the house for a month tomorrow. I did add some more bleach to get the FC level back up from 20 to ~25.

I am brushing every 45 minutes or so, and change is still occurring, just much slower than previously.

We're getting there! While the pool is not 100% crystal clear, I can now see the bottom two filters and their markings on the 11-12ft end! So I would imagine it will be crystal clear within the next 24-48 hours!

I believe my Chlorine level is 21.5, so I will probably be putting in another jug to get up to 24 again for another night.

So I am actually doing the overnight test TONIGHT. After that, I'm hoping the CC level is still 0 and the water is crystal clear so that I can conclude the Shocking process.

I guess from that point it will just be getting the levels back to normal?

FPM was referring the to process of putting DE in your sand filter to speed up the getting rid of the dead algae from your water. Each time you backwash, more DE needs to be added to get this additional filtering boost. I bet if you put some DE in there, you water will go clear quick now and your filter pressure will go up fast requiring more frequent backwashing until the water is clear. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter

SportzTawk said:
So I am actually doing the overnight test TONIGHT. After that, I'm hoping the CC level is still 0 and the water is crystal clear so that I can conclude the Shocking process.
And if the water is clear (the third criteria, see my sig). This is sort of a final sign that all of the algae are dead. Since you have a sand filter, adding DE can really speed this up, if everything is actually dead. If the stuff is not dead, the DE won't clear it.

SportzTawk said:
I guess from that point it will just be getting the levels back to normal?
After you pass all 3 criteria, then yep back to normal FC level for your cya.

I tried finding the manual for the Sand Filter we have, not sure where the previous owners left it. Without it, I'm not sure if I feel comfortable opening up the sand filter since it looks like I will have to dismantle a good bit of the set up to. If I do find it though, I will look into doing that.

How much does DE typically cost?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool is Crystal Clear, though my wife forgot to keep up with it while I was working 7-7 for the last 7 days.

Pool is still crystal clear, but levels have dropped. I did go get another store sample done (it was free) because I needed to see my salt levels. The levels they gave me definitely differ than the home kit tells me.

Current Level:

pH

By me: 7.2
By Store: 7.0

CYA

By me: ~40
By Store: 65

Alkalinity

By me: 60
By store: 36, adjusted is 16

Chlorine

By me: 1.5
By Store: .5

So my next question is, do I need to re-Shock the pool since she let it fall below the 4-5 ppm?

Get the FC back up using liquid chlorine ... may want to raise to shock level at first and then do the OCLT to see if you are safe. Then let the FC drift back down and get the SWG fired up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.