New house, New-to-me pool, new adventure!

I don't have a sand filter but I also have dirt/sand that accumulates in the bottom of the pool. Wind and rain blow it in and with the whopper of the storms that blew through it might be that. I had to run my robot 3 times to get the pool clean from this mess...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Are you sure it is sand? Not dead algae? Just wanted to make sure. You can put a sock over your returns to catch it to see if that is how it is getting in the pool...........Storm=wind, rain run off carrying dirt/sand............kids in and out of pool=dirt in pool from little feet and such......

Just throwing ideas up to see what looks good to you.

Kim:cat:

Well, while vacuuming it last time it would easily settle in the bottom and (trying to figure out how to describe it) "looked" like the movement of sand in water.... Picture incoming.

A close up and an overall shot to see the spread of it all....

f067c72e2e34afe2fd4a1b39c2f98896.jpg

087f30eb72220ebadfb2729defd4d276.jpg

I did not check the laterals... The sand level seemed to be at a good level from what I have researched about my specific filter.

So the kids got in today and I was in as well. I had brushed the shallow end sediment to the deep end and this time it actually brushed fairly easy.

When in there I went to the deep end to get a feel for it. It's definitely not sand. I did find a very small patch by the ladder that was gritty and it didn't relocate as easily.

I'm guessing that is algae. My poor attention to keeping track due to the rather busy week since Father's Day weekend and the two huge rains we had back to back over three days.

Not at all upset but happy I figured it out.

Does this mean like a 1 day SLAM or can I raise FC and keep it at a steady 7 or 8 ppm while brushing and vacuuming.

It was REALLY hard for me to NOT say, that looks like algae... But, the good news is that it looks like the sediment is dead algae. That doesn't mean you are algae-free.... Just that you have enough FC to kill some of it.

You can do an OCLT or just go into SLAM mode; either way it's an eventual OCLT. Since it's the weekend, you may want to raise your FC up to shock level and do the OCLT from there. It's what I would probably do depending on if there were any parties happening.

I realize I have a lot of years under my belt, but we all know our own pools.... I have learned to trust my gut. What does yours say?

Looking at the edge of your concrete where it meets the grass, sure looks like sandy soil to me. I basically live on an inland beach, all sand here, and the wind and storms blow it in my pool all the time. Just part of life with a pool me thinks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm thinking take it to shock level.... Just to get it killed. I'll vacuum to waste what's in the pool (most of the visible stuff is in the deep end) and take it to shock level. Then do some brushing to make sure all areas are good and loosened of any algae.

Purrfect plan! It will not take near as long as when you first started out that is for sure! Check your test regents to make sure you are set there.

Life happens BUT you know what to do to fix it.

Kim:cat:

Going to test now... Then brush and adjust FC before bed... Stand by.

-------Updated--------

FC: 3ppm (was out all day so I expected this)
CC: 0 (didn't expect that)
Ph: 7.8
TA: 190ppm

Didn't test CH as it doesn't seem worthwhile and didn't test CYA due to it being after midnight. [emoji12]

So, what's your plan? If slamming, you have a pH issue. If OCLT, you need to stay up for a while. Remember that you need to verify your last addition to know your base level.

- - - Updated - - -

And a CYA test might not be a bad idea if it's sunny tomorrow as I know you have replaced some water lately and I'm not sure when you last checked it.

I actually started the slam this afternoon. I had checked Ph the day prior and it was in between 7.2-7.6 so I called it an even 7.4. So ph may be off due to that. Plus kids got in yesterday and were quite "bubbly" with their movements. [emoji847]

I do plan to do CYA as I have an additional 6lbs on hand to raise it up if needed. I would like, within close enough reason to keep CYA at 30ppm since I have done some replacement of water...

Thank you MarianParoo! I feel like you're that mother that "gently" reminds me to keep my room clean at the first sight of a piece of clothing on the floor...

I operate best when I have that soft nudge.

I noticed the dead algae while out there as well, brushed it all to make sure there isn't anything lurking underneath it.

I'll go back out and check FC again before bed to make sure it is at SLAM level.

I would need to go buy some more MA anyways.

----Update----

Before bed check:
FC: 14.5ppm
CC: 0.5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.