New Hayward multi port valve.... assembled backwards???

JamesR

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2015
Nazareth/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
The notch in the indicator says it is in the backwash position, but it’s actually the filter position. Anyone ever see one of these new out of the box that was 180 degrees out?

Attachments

• EA92C118-ACA8-4B2E-B9B5-3FFBF4269620.jpeg
    EA92C118-ACA8-4B2E-B9B5-3FFBF4269620.jpeg
    460.5 KB · Views: 41
Jim,

Notice on the left side of your pic there is a little notch at one of the screws on the top plastic piece... There should be a corresponding notch on the bottom plastic..

That is how to make sure that the top is matched correctly to the bottom.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Aaaah, yes you must be right. There is a little sticker on the bottom of the valve that shows SP0715XR50. So it appears this one was made late on a Friday at the end of shift.
These things are like gold and it took a long time for it to show up. I have no time to mail it back and wait for another. I think I'll try to hit the label with a hair drier and peel it off to reverse it.
Sound reasonable?

Good point on the label. I’ll try to contact them. I tested all positions with compressed air. It’s 180 out. The scary part is that “rinse” is actually “closed”.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On the top union, it says S240, which makes me think that the valve might be this one:

spx0715x32.jpg

But, it seems reversed, so maybe not.

I would probably open it up and check to make sure that it is correct.

img_2671-jpg.55260

This shows how the body is different from the DE filter (left) to the sand filter (right).

It might just be a backward label, but I would probably open it to make sure.

Last edited:
I suppose I could rotate the top, but then the notch wont align. That would just bug me mentally. 🙂
I called Hayward and got a call back from some woman in a 308 area code. Useless! She told me to go to a retail store and buy a new top assy. I explained that this is defective right from them. She couldn’t care less. Anybody have an email address for their tech support folks?

• Wow
Reactions: Andrew_D
Yep, that’s the phone number. Puts me on home for about 30 minutes then disconnects me. So I chose the option for a callback and got that poor response to go to a retailer and buy replacement parts. Nice.
I also submitted through the contact us page. Awaiting a response. I’ll try that tech support address you listed if they do not respond to my online submissions.
Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.