Repair vs. Replace Hayward Multi-port valve for S-200 filter

May 25, 2015
Hastings, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking for opinions on repair vs. replace or my Hayward MPV. It has been hard to turn for the last several years, and after pool open yesterday, water is now leaking through the top (pics are from last year, trust, me, water is coming out when I switch to backwash & subsequently rinse). On the surface, it seems simpler (and quicker) to repair with this (Key Cover and Handle Assembly Compatible with Hayward SP0710 Multiport Valve, 1-1/2" - SPX0710XBA17 - INYOPools.com) than to replace the entire valve. I don't know the actual age, but it was in place when I bought the house in 2015. Thoughts (and thanks in advance!)?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4712.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4712.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 3
  • thumbnail_IMG_4711.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4711.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 3
  • thumbnail_IMG_4709.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4709.jpg
    732.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Not sure.

I have a leak out of the top and around edges of my sand filter. I have the same one you do.

it's not a bad leak - but it's a leak for sure- you can see the water running down. No idea why. Don't want to spend $600 to replace it. So I'll put up with the leak.

Doesn't make any sense to me. But pools are one problem after another. That's one lesson I have learned.

Reactions: bw_mnpool
You have to weigh the difference in cost for replacing or rebuilding. I don't think the cost is that much to replace. But be aware that you might have to mess with the PVC plumbing if it's not easy to swap over. Or time to add some union to make servicing easier in the future.

Reactions: bw_mnpool