San Antonio TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
Hello….my name is Matt Rodriguez. I live in San Antonio TX where it’s HOT. I have fiberglass salt water pool, approximately 25k gallons, running with Pentair equipment. I purchased the pool new 4 years now, and I love it. I’ve had to mostly learn on the fly to troubleshoot problems when they come up, and depend heavily on John, pool store owner. But sometimes he’s not always in the office and I have to rely on information threads like here at TroubleFreePool. Decided to become a member

I do have a question….My pool is 38x14. 3 feet running to 8 feet. I’ve calculated 25k gallons. The saltwater generator that came with my pool when installed is a Pentair IC 15. I believe that this generator is too small for my pool. This is my 2nd IC 15….the original went out. The original had warranty but Pentair could only give me what I already had. I’m i correct?

Welcome to TFP Matt.

I do have a question….My pool is 38x14. 3 feet running to 8 feet. I’ve calculated 25k gallons. The saltwater generator that came with my pool when installed is a Pentair IC 15. I believe that this generator is too small for my pool. This is my 2nd IC 15….the original went out. The original had warranty but Pentair could only give me what I already had. I’m i correct?

Yes, you are correct. We recommend a SWG be 2X your pool volume.

With a 25K pool you can get away with a 40K SWG or even better a 60K cell. Only Pentair IntelliChlor or Circupool has 60K cells.

When your IC15 dies plan on installing a different larger SWG system.

Reactions: UPSMattyRod
Welcome to TFP Matt.

Yes, you are correct. We recommend a SWG be 2X your pool volume.

With a 25K pool you can get away with a 40K SWG or even better a 60K cell. Only Pentair IntelliChlor or Circupool has 60K cells.

When your IC15 dies plan on installing a different larger SWG system.

With the installation of a larger system, Ex..the IC 60, will I have to upgrade my electrical system has well? Thanks for the reply.

With the installation of a larger system, Ex..the IC 60, will I have to upgrade my electrical system has well? Thanks for the reply.
No, SWGs use less then 5 amps regardless of generating capacity.

Matt,

An IC15 on a 25K pool would not really work at all in your location. :scratch:

Were you adding weekly doses of powered Shock? If not, how were you maintaining your chlorine level?

What chemicals was your bud, "John" selling you?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I knew this question would come up. Once i educated myself, I argued with the pool manufacturer that the IC 15 was not the correct salt generator for my pool. I should have been given at least a IC 40. They didn’t agree. So after a couple of episodes of green water, I started to compensated my IC 15 by adding a chlorine tablet in the skimmer every 2 or 3 weeks. Sometimes 2. In the summer, every week. I would keep the cell to 3 lights…sometimes 4, trying to extend the life of the cell. Only going full blast when my pool was full of family and friends. This combination has worked. I have clear, clean water. But I’m very aware that I need a IC 40 or 60.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
This is the 2nd IC 15 for me. And it’s already past its warranty. I’m prepared to pay for the correct salt generator for my pool. Down side….it ain’t cheap.

Reactions: Jimrahbe