New DIY IG Pool Build Pittsburgh PA

Skelly_GSR

Feb 24, 2024
Pittsburgh PA
Hi all, finally took the plunge and ordered my diy IG vinyl pool kit from Royal.

Size: 18x36x26 L-shape
Wall height: 4' steel
Depth 4' to 8'

Personal background: Automation Engineer with four young kids. All boys. They will be my helpers on this project.

I will say my experience working with Royal was extremely pleasurable. My ordering process was probably unconventional, however the salesman was easy to work with through the entire process. To help trim some costs, he suggested I explore building my own full width steps and tanning ledge, which is the route I'm going. I was a bit shocked at how expensive the full width step kits were. As I'm doing the install on my own, I only initially ordered the bare minimum of what I needed to get started. I still don't have a lot of the major pieces figured out yet (pump,filter,heater,liner, etc), but I didn't want to delay getting the walls and coping forms ordered.

I picked up my permit from the township last week, they weren't too thrilled with my doing it on my own. I feel like the permit process will end up taking longer than the install itself.

I apologize, I will probably have a million questions that have already been asked, I'll try my best to search before asking.

Question #1: I have to approve the design/build drawing for the pool and I requested two cutouts on the panels for skimmers. Being that I have not ordered the skimmer boxes yet, am I going to run into issues where the hole they punched out isn't compatible with the skimmer box I order? Are skimmer box holes a standard size across the board? Or should I just tell them to not punch the holes for the skimmer just to be safe and handing cutting out once I determine which skimmers I'm buying?

Question #2: Being the pool I ordered is pretty bare bones, I don't think the locations for the skimmers is ideal for my end design. When they drafted this up, I dont think they knew that I was planning on making the bottom "L" portion of the pool a tanning ledge. Since I am doing that, it's probably not ideal to have the skimmer on the tanning ledge, right? If so, where would you recommend I have them relocate them to? It might all be a moot point, it looks like both skimmers are on 8' panels straight panels, which are interchangeable I'm guessing. Either way I need to get this figured out quick because I need to approve the print before it goes to fabrication.

Question #3: Similar to above, they proposed Q2 discharge returns on the drawing. I assuming I will want/need more. Should I just have them not drill for these and I can worry about that later? I plan on also adding two bubblers on the tanning ledge.

Question #4: I tried to do some research on this, but any good articles/videos on how to build your own steps and tanning ledge for a vinyl pool? I poked around and found a few different approaches that seemed to get the job done. Some used block and backfilled with gravel with a layer of concrete on the top, some built forms and did the entire thing with concrete. My FIL has experience with both block and concrete, he can give me a hand. I thought this video did a good job explaining how he does them.
. Unfortunately not a ton of info on this topic. I wasn't about spending $4k for some sheet metal steps from Royal.

Appreciate the help!

-Kevin

Attachments

• Proposed Pool Layout.jpg
    Proposed Pool Layout.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 9
Skimmer mouths are not a standard size. You need to choose the skimmers you are using and what dimensions the cutouts need to be.

Skimmers should be placed into the prevailing winds. The winds will have the most effect on the surface flow of the pool.

Skimmers and returns should be on opposite sides of the pool for best circulation. You have to consider skimmer and return placement as part of overall water flow circulation in the pool.

Where are you putting pool lights?

You need to plan all your wall penetrations and work with steps, benches, and ledge locations.

Skimmer mouths are not a standard size. You need to choose the skimmers you are using and what dimensions the cutouts need to be.

Skimmers should be placed into the prevailing winds. The winds will have the most effect on the surface flow of the pool.

Skimmers and returns should be on opposite sides of the pool for best circulation. You have to consider skimmer and return placement as part of overall water flow circulation in the pool.

Where are you putting pool lights?

You need to plan all your wall penetrations and work with steps, benches, and ledge locations.
Hi, thanks for responding. Appreciate the input.

I followed up with the vendor, and they confirmed that the pool will come with "wide mouth" penetrations. I'll make sure I purchase the appropriate sized skimmers.

I provided an updated sketch taking into account prevailing wind direction. I initially would not have taken wind direction into account, but it makes sense.

In total, 2 skimmers, 6 returns. I added two return on the step of the tanning ledge as well. I'm guessing you will need some circulation there. If I plan on also putting bubblers on the floor of the tanning ledge, are the returns on the tanning ledge overkill?

Also forgot to mention, I will have a main drain in the deep end, due to the significant amount of trees in my back yard.

Attachments

• Skimmer Returns.jpg
    Skimmer Returns.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 8
Why do you think having a main drain has anything to do with the amount of trees in your yard?

You have more returns then necessary. Your pump flow will be divided by the number of returns. Let's say your pump runs at 60 GPM, which is very high, with 6 returns then each return will have 10 GPM of flow without the bubblers being on.

With 4 returns at 60 GPM your returns will will have 15 GPM of flow.

I would rather have 4 returns running at 15 GPM.

I would delete the return on the top left and have one return centered on the tan ledge.

Put a return on the tan ledge since you will not always be running the bubblers.

Why do you think having a main drain has anything to do with the amount of trees in your yard?

You have more returns then necessary. Your pump flow will be divided by the number of returns. Let's say your pump runs at 60 GPM, which is very high, with 6 returns then each return will have 10 GPM of flow without the bubblers being on.

With 4 returns at 60 GPM your returns will will have 15 GPM of flow.

I would rather have 4 returns running at 15 GPM.

I would delete the return on the top left and have one return centered on the tan ledge.

Put a return on the tan ledge since you will not always be running the bubblers.
The main reason I was considering installing a main drain was concerns about starving the pump suction side if the skimmers get clogged with leaves. In addition, it should help maintain a consistent temp of the pool at the bottom of the deep end. If you think it's not worth the added expense and labor let me know and I can skip it.

See attached updated sketch with your recommendations on returns. What do you think? Thanks again for all your input!

Skimmer Returns V2.jpg

What is the depth profile of the pool?

How deep will the main drain be?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you see any other concerns with the revised layout of the skimmers/returns/bubblers?

Nope.

The devil is in the details of pipe sizes, plumbing layout, equipment selection, and valving.

If it makes any difference, I'm targeting to go with the Pentair Intelliflow 3HP 220VAC pump with variable speed.
Makes no difference.

I did a DIY build last summer and can tell you that you are in for some fun! Yeah, let's call it that ;) I'm an experienced DIYer and can tell you that it tapped into just about every DIY project I've ever had - general construction, plumbing, electrical, landscaping, etc. There is a TON to learn - as you've started here.

One item that wasn't touched on yet - the DIY stairs. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm curious to know how! We went with acrylic 8x4 steps because of the price of the full-width. With a vinyl liner, the full-width steps have liner bead built into it which secures the liner to the steps. I imagine you'll have to add same. Not sure if this will change the price of the liner as it may need to be measured on-site?

I did a DIY build last summer and can tell you that you are in for some fun! Yeah, let's call it that ;) I'm an experienced DIYer and can tell you that it tapped into just about every DIY project I've ever had - general construction, plumbing, electrical, landscaping, etc. There is a TON to learn - as you've started here.

One item that wasn't touched on yet - the DIY stairs. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm curious to know how! We went with acrylic 8x4 steps because of the price of the full-width. With a vinyl liner, the full-width steps have liner bead built into it which secures the liner to the steps. I imagine you'll have to add same. Not sure if this will change the price of the liner as it may need to be measured on-site?
Glad to hear I’m not the only crazy person doing a diy pool. I’m a little nervous but I’ll be fine. I’m handy enough to be dangerous.

Yeah I thought the pricing from Royal for the liner over stairs was crazy expensive. I think it was like $4.5k for full width stairs, which I think is crazy. I’m trying to research as much as I can on doing a diy tanning ledge / stairs and bench, unfortunately there isn’t a ton of information out there. I’ll make it work one way or another.