IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
First time post from a first time pool (soon to be) owner in Central Illinois. This site has been tremendous from an educational standpoint thus far, so thank you. I have three quotes from area pool builders and quoted prices are similar. Here is what we think we are going with:

16x36 vinyl pool - 3.5’ to 5’ with 6’ tanning ledge (9” deep) and 2 corner seats
Auto Cover
1.5 HP Variable Speed Pump
Electric Heat Pump
Plumbing for future slide
Additional electrical runs to pool area for future use (thanks TFP!)

Here are some of the areas I am not quite comfortable with yet and hoping for feedback:

• One PB swears by the DE filter (says I probably won’t be happy with a sand filter) and the other 2 quoting the sand filter. My research on TFP tells me that the DE filter would provide superior filtering, but the sand filter is much easier to clean/maintain. Anything else worth mentioning or advice?
  • 2 of the PBs are pushing Auto Clorinators to the point that they both told me SWG is a passing fad and the salt will corrode anything metal including the auto cover. The other PB says he has not seen corrosion issues as long as the equipment is spec’d and installed correctly for use with SWG. The contractors are very enthusiastic about their particular choice in this area. This decision has now become my biggest points of confusion/concerns.
  • LED Lights with Intellibrite Controller. Looks pretty cool, but anything I need to know here? It is about a $800 upgrade over the standard halogen bulb. Worth it or something that looks cool at first but will come with buyer’s remorse?
  • One PB uses Pentair equipment and the other uses Hayward. These seem to be the main players from my research. Any advantages to one over the other?

Welcome to TFP.

DE vs sand filter each has their pros and cons. I am suprised you are not considering a large cartridge filter. It is probably the easiest to maintain.

It is your pool. Get a SWG.

Intellibrites have reliability issues - Pentair LED Pool Lights - Further Reading

Pentair vs Hayward is Ford vs Chevy. Give a complete equipment list with model numbers. Both of them have some good equipment and some clunkers.

Thank you for the advice! I will have them also quote the cartridge filter.

The more I read the various threads on here, the more comfortable I am with the SWG. It seems like most (all) of the bad press may come from PBs not familiar enough with SWG or benefit more from selling you something different.

Thanks for the Intellibrite link. Is there a different led lighting brand/setup that TFP deems as the best?

Once I get the detailed equipment list from all PBs, I will definitely post for advice and possible changes/upgrades.

Thanks so much again for your guidance.

There is no pool LED light that has demonstrated long term reliability. They fail and are often expensive to replace. A white incandescent light is the most economical. If you want cool color light shows you pay for it.

Reactions: bgoz98
What is the preferred width of the tanning ledge? We will want to be able to put a couple of chairs on it, but want to limit the loss of swimming space as well. Any particular brand of vinyl-safe chairs recommended by the site for durability and comfort?

What is the preferred width of the tanning ledge? We will want to be able to put a couple of chairs on it, but want to limit the loss of swimming space as well. Any particular brand of vinyl-safe chairs recommended by the site for durability and comfort?

@kimkats tanning ledges are not my thing.

With a vinyl pool you are going to have to be VERY careful with the bottom of the legs. I am not going to recommend any one brand. Instead I will suggest you look for the chairs to have rubber caps on the legs.

Now for size-you want to be able to walk between the chairs. Depth-do you want your bum in the water or just above it? Do you think you will just sit on the shelf? Where do you want the water to hit you on your body?

Sorry for more questions than answer but you know what you want so this might help you dial in your shelf.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: bgoz98
Thanks @kimkats. Are tanning ledges in vinyl pools not a common thing or maybe even a bad idea? Not sure what you would do with the ledge without some sort of chair/lounger to sit and/or tan on.

Welcome to TFP.

DE vs sand filter each has their pros and cons. I am suprised you are not considering a large cartridge filter. It is probably the easiest to maintain.

It is your pool. Get a SWG.

Intellibrites have reliability issues - Pentair LED Pool Lights - Further Reading

Pentair vs Hayward is Ford vs Chevy. Give a complete equipment list with model numbers. Both of them have some good equipment and some clunkers.

The contractor we ended up choosing is the one that normally installs Hayward equipment. He said he would spec the equipment and provide specific models or if there are specific models that I wanted priced, I can let him know. Are there one or two models that fall under the "good" category you mentioned above that I should consider up front? We decided to go SWG (thanks to the confidence I have gained from TFP) and the sand filter. We will also have an electric heat pump. We will opt out of the LEDs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any advice on the breaker box setup for the pool? The breaker box for the house is full, so I will have to add a subpanel for the pool equipment. I have 200 amp service for the house. Do I also want 200 amp for the pool? I will be running the auto cover, pump, heat pump, etc from this subpanel. I am also going to have them run wires for future lighting for the patio area around the pool. I want to make sure I set this up with as much future-proofing as I may need. There is already a light above where the pool equipment will be also. Thanks!

Tell us what your contractor specs with model numbers.

Here are the models that are in the initial quote:

Heat Pump Pool Heater – Raypak 103,000 Btu titanium core
Salt System w/ conversion accy. Hayward Aqua-rite T-9
Pump - Hayward SP3400 vari-speed
Auto Cover - Automatic Pool Cover Brand system
Underwater Light (Pentair Amerlite 500w)

Please let me know if I should make any changes. Thanks!

How many gallons will be in your pool?

• Heat pump looks fine.
  • T-9 cell is rated for 25,000 gallons but if your pool is over 12,500 gallons you should get the larger T-15 cell. The T-15 cell is probably better to get either way.
  • You don't want the EcoStar SP3400 pump. They have been lemons. Get the TriStar VS pump.
  • Cover is fine
  • LIght is ok
  • No automation?
  • Get all diverter valves, no ball valves.

How many gallons will be in your pool?

• Heat pump looks fine.
  • T-9 cell is rated for 25,000 gallons but if your pool is over 12,500 gallons you should get the larger T-15 cell. The T-15 cell is probably better to get either way.
  • You don't want the EcoStar SP3400 pump. They have been lemons. Get the TriStar VS pump.
  • Cover is fine
  • LIght is ok
  • No automation?
  • Get all diverter valves, no ball valves.
Thank you for the advice. The pool should be 16,000-18,000 gallons.

Based on a high level google search, the T15 appears to be a couple hundred dollars more than the T9. If true, this seems like a no-brainer.

The TriStar VS also appears to be a couple hundred dollar upgrade over the Ecostar, so again a no-brainer if pricing holds through the contractor.

I had not planned on any automation immediately, but is there something I should make sure to do in case I want to add it later?

I will be sure to confirm the valve type on the bid. Thanks for the tip!

I also had an earlier post on the electrical setup I need for the pool. Is this in your area of expertise also? Haven't received a response on it yet.

Thanks again for all of your guidance. I truly appreciate it.

The breaker box question fits in with the automation question. A Hayward Aqua Plus system includes a load center that covers all your electrical needs and the SWG cell and controller. When you look at what the load center saves you over separate electrical wiring you get the automation for little additional cost.

The Aqua Plus takes 100 amp service. 50 amp HP, 20 amp pump, cover, SWG and some lights will fit in 100 amps.

The breaker box question fits in with the automation question. A Hayward Aqua Plus system includes a load center that covers all your electrical needs and the SWG cell and controller. When you look at what the load center saves you over separate electrical wiring you get the automation for little additional cost.

The Aqua Plus takes 100 amp service. 50 amp HP, 20 amp pump, cover, SWG and some lights will fit in 100 amps.

I am definitely going to talk to my PB about the Aqua Plus system after your feedback and reading up on its features. Any idea of a ballpark cost I should expect for this system? Thanks.

I am definitely going to talk to my PB about the Aqua Plus system after your feedback and reading up on its features. Any idea of a ballpark cost I should expect for this system? Thanks.

I think they should be close to a wash. Looking at Internet prices the Aqua Plus with a T-15 cell may be within a few hundred of an Aquarite with a T-15 cell. Then you net out the cost of the subpanel and wiring that it eliminates.

Here are the models that are in the initial quote:

Heat Pump Pool Heater – Raypak 103,000 Btu titanium core
Salt System w/ conversion accy. Hayward Aqua-rite T-9
Pump - Hayward SP3400 vari-speed
Auto Cover - Automatic Pool Cover Brand system
Underwater Light (Pentair Amerlite 500w)

Please let me know if I should make any changes. Thanks!

Here is the equipment list from the other PB:

Heat Pump: Rheem 119,000 btu w/titanium heat exchanger

Pump: Pentair VS Variable Speed 1.5 hp

Filter: Pentair FNS 60 Plus

@ajw22 Please let me know if I should swap for different models. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Here is the equipment list from the other PB:

Heat Pump: Rheem 119,000 btu w/titanium heat exchanger

Pump: Pentair VS Variable Speed 1.5 hp

SWG: Pentair FNS 60 Plus

@ajw22 Please let me know if I should swap for different models. Thanks again!

That is all good. Confirm the VS pump is the 011056 VSF model.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.