New Build CT

My builder said I have 3 returns right now.. 2 in the pool and 1 in the spill over spa. But he did mention an upgrade to the Venturi skimmers.. Said he has only put a dozen on but heard good feed back. Anyone have these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not consider the spa return to be the same as a pool return. Yes, the spillover does return water to the pool but it does not impact circulation. I have 3 returns in my pool and one in my attached spa and I wish I actually had four in the pool.

I do not have a Venturi skimmer, just a standard one. I have heard of them but have no idea what the major advantage is?

We have three returns in a large pool. It works to distribute my regular MA additions pretty quickly - especially so if the pump is on high if needed really quickly. Actually a fourth return is the pressure side cleaner. I always forget about that one.

This was what my builder said about a chlorinator..

I would strongly recommend against using liquid chlorine. Handling liquid chlorine is always a big concern from a safety point of view. Liquid chlorine has a very high PH and makes balancing the water more difficult. Liquid chlorine is “non-stabilized” and has lots of “waste”. We do sell these on commercial pools, but would never recommend on a residential pool. They are also fairly expensive. You are correct that you would need a separate chlorine pump and also a crock to hold the chlorine. This starts to take up a lot of space as well. If you decide to go this direction, I will get you pricing but again, this is not something I would recommend.

Opinions???

BUT the good thing about the liquid chlorine IS the fact it is "non-stabilized"!

That is where the pucks (aka stabilized chlorine) will get you in trouble over time. The stabilizer (CYA) will build up over time and become so high your FC (free chlorine) will not be able to keep up and you will have algae problems. The only way to lower CYA is to drain and replace water!

I do NOT have a problem with high PH from the liquid chlorine I use on a daily bases. My PH goes up from aeration from rain, splashing, etc. It is an easy fix--add some muratic acid and all is good again for a long while.

One day I would like to get a chlorine pump system but until then I will just add my chlorine each evening. No big deal!

Kim

How's this -

I would strongly recommend against using liquid chlorine. Handling liquid chlorine is always a big concern from a safety point of view.

Aside from perhaps getting some bleach spots on your clothes, wear a standard pair of safety glasses and there's no problems. Tens of thousands of TFPers use bleach/LC everyday without issue

Liquid chlorine has a very high PH and makes balancing the water more difficult. Liquid chlorine is “non-stabilized” and has lots of “waste”.

All bleach/LC has both excess lye (sodium hydroxide) and salt in it. However, you are using, at most, a few cups at a time and so the dilution into tens of thousands of gallons of water makes little or no difference to the pH. Since you are in the New England, your average annual rain fall along with backwashing, etc, will more than help keep the salt levels under control.

There is no "waste" in bleach/LC, so that statement is nothing more than a scare tactic. Stabilized chlorine is either dichlor powder or trichlor tablets. They both add CYA (cyanuric acid) to your water. Long term use of those chemicals without significant water exchanges leads to excess CYA in your water, over stabilization and then algae blooms.

We do sell these on commercial pools, but would never recommend on a residential pool. They are also fairly expensive. You are correct that you would need a separate chlorine pump and also a crock to hold the chlorine. This starts to take up a lot of space as well. If you decide to go this direction, I will get you pricing but again, this is not something I would recommend.

Thousands of TFPers have installed DIY Stenner LC pumps for less than a $1000 and, in many cases, under $500. They are not expensive and, if you have even modest DIY skills, then you can easily install one after the PB is done.

aa5616edcea88f3ce81cda11bef21afe.jpg

It's becoming more real! Thinking of flipping the pool so the shallow end is the opposite of where it is now.

Double check those skimmers. You want separate runs all the way to the pad, not skimmers in series.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, by running them separately is this allowing better pressure?

I will look to see if I can find the drawing of the valves.

It lowers the suction side head loss by having more parallel runs of pipes to the pump AND it allows you to better control the pool circulation and skimmer action. If you connect them in series, then the skimmer that is furthest out from the pump will have much less flow than the closer one. By having independent runs, you can better control each skimmer's flow independently.

Also, I still see there are only two returns to the pool, you know my feelings on that matter already ;)

Make sure all of that adding/changing is in writing!

I tried to google iJets but nothing came up. I would love to learn about them please.

I really don't know much about the Venturi skimmer so cannot help there.

What is your time line now?

Kim

Are you familiar with the mottling that will occur with dark grey colored Marcite? Just something to be aware of and go into it informed. We have grey tinted plaster and love it. The finish will not be consistent throughout. That's what we love about it. See our pool build in my signature for more details and pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.