New Austin, TX Owner Build

Ask him if he's heard of juntas de expansión and juntas de control. If not, run! And also for his layout of how they will go. Some guys do it on the fly, others are very detailed and thought out in advance. They can have a big impact on performance of the deck AND also the appearance due to the geometry of them visually.

We have some progress now. The tile is in and the ledger panel has been started. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so probably won't start coping until Thursday.

Here are the pics: Tile work

The quartzite is turning out great so far. We were a little worried that so many tiles were dark (like slate), but luckily I way over-ordered so we'll be able to swap those with different colors. To anybody doing quartzite in the future, I'd recommend getting lots of extra since there is such a variety of colors that you'll want to be able to have more to choose from when doing the job.

My wife took over on this part with the subs since she's more in tune with aesthetics. She did great. She was out there separating all the colors for the guy and giving feedback on a variety of things.

Did you check on the cost of pavers, or, were you set on the concrete? We are getting about 1050 sf of pavers at about $6,600. Not sure how common pavers are in your area, or, labor, but, it may be worth checking out as an option.

I was looking at Kool Cote so that the ground wouldn't be too hot for the little ones feet since it will be in direct Texas sunlight all day. I might look into that a bit more though. Thanks.

I'm probably too late for suggestions on some of your earlier questions (just saw this thread), but just wanted to pass on that we went with the 360 on a VS/VF pump and it's working out great for us. We don't run the pump at a higher flow when it's in use. It does not take that much flow.

BTW, fantastic backyard for a pool w/ trees and hills. That is going to be nice!

I'm probably too late for suggestions on some of your earlier questions (just saw this thread), but just wanted to pass on that we went with the 360 on a VS/VF pump and it's working out great for us. We don't run the pump at a higher flow when it's in use. It does not take that much flow.

BTW, fantastic backyard for a pool w/ trees and hills. That is going to be nice!

Thanks. I was still worried about that since it doesn't seem to be done very often.

I haven't given an update in a while because I've been lazy. Sorry. I'll post pics soon.

They started on the deck and it's now ready for pouring, which will probably happen Tuesday.

I got got lots of quotes from patio guys and they were all a lot more than I thought it would cost. Estimating costs based on say $6/sq ft doesn't work because there are a lot of additional costs the add up. Concrete pump since they can't get a concrete truck in the backyard, loads of backfill material, pipes, turndown on all edges that are above the ground.

It was down to 2 guys, both that are pretty reputable, but one of which is basically the best (30 years of experience, used by the best builders, sounded like he knew what he was talking about, etc). It came down to $5k for the one guy or $6100 for the best guy. With prodding from my wife, we ended up going with the expensive one. For the drainage issues, he recommended a gravel base instead of road base and also put several corrugated pipes underneath to deal with water coming under the deck. He's also putting in a deco drain on top but pointed out that most of the water is coming from underneath.

Had something almost go wrong today but thank goodness for my deck guy. The electrician told me to call him next when the deck was poured. My deck guy said that he needed to come bond it. Turns out not only does he need to do that before they pour, but we need to get it inspected before they pour (which is why they aren't pouring until next Tuesday). They could have made us tear up the concrete. I'm a little upset with the electrician.

Were trying to figure out what we want to do with the side of the pool in between the septic field and the pool where we could not put concrete. Thinking about maybe planters or river rock with stepping stones (as I originally had on the left side of the pool). Any ideas welcome.

Also realized that we need to do a "clean and prep" before the gunite where the smooth it out, clean up the inside, power wash, etc. My guy charges $250 for that. I would not have know that I had to do this.

Were in the home stretch here. Feeling a little overwhelmed but also relieved.

Also realized that we need to do a "clean and prep" before the gunite where the smooth it out, clean up the inside, power wash, etc. My guy charges $250 for that. I would not have know that I had to do this.

Can you elaborate on this? How do you power wash before gunite? Inside the pool? Or did you mean after gunite and before plaster?

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't given an update in a while because I've been lazy. Sorry. I'll post pics soon.

They started on the deck and it's now ready for pouring, which will probably happen Tuesday.

I got got lots of quotes from patio guys and they were all a lot more than I thought it would cost. Estimating costs based on say $6/sq ft doesn't work because there are a lot of additional costs the add up. Concrete pump since they can't get a concrete truck in the backyard, loads of backfill material, pipes, turndown on all edges that are above the ground.

It was down to 2 guys, both that are pretty reputable, but one of which is basically the best (30 years of experience, used by the best builders, sounded like he knew what he was talking about, etc). It came down to $5k for the one guy or $6100 for the best guy. With prodding from my wife, we ended up going with the expensive one. For the drainage issues, he recommended a gravel base instead of road base and also put several corrugated pipes underneath to deal with water coming under the deck. He's also putting in a deco drain on top but pointed out that most of the water is coming from underneath.

Had something almost go wrong today but thank goodness for my deck guy. The electrician told me to call him next when the deck was poured. My deck guy said that he needed to come bond it. Turns out not only does he need to do that before they pour, but we need to get it inspected before they pour (which is why they aren't pouring until next Tuesday). They could have made us tear up the concrete. I'm a little upset with the electrician.

Were trying to figure out what we want to do with the side of the pool in between the septic field and the pool where we could not put concrete. Thinking about maybe planters or river rock with stepping stones (as I originally had on the left side of the pool). Any ideas welcome.

Were in the home stretch here. Feeling a little overwhelmed but also relieved.

Your concrete experiences are very interesting. Thank you for sharing. It will help when we get to that phase.

I'm so glad for you that a major problem was averted with the deck bonding. Good for you for hanging in there this far. You're almost done!

I meant before plaster. During the tile and coping, some concrete falls in the pool that needs to be cleaned out. Also they have to smooth out the sides really well and I also have white calcium stains on the side of my pool from the hard water from the yard penetrating the gunite.

I meant before plaster. During the tile and coping, some concrete falls in the pool that needs to be cleaned out. Also they have to smooth out the sides really well and I also have white calcium stains on the side of my pool from the hard water from the yard penetrating the gunite.

That makes sense. Is this something you can do yourself, or do you really need the right kind of tools/supplies to do it, so it's worth paying someone?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That makes sense. Is this something you can do yourself, or do you really need the right kind of tools/supplies to do it, so it's worth paying someone?

Great question. One that I'm wrestling with myself. I'm just worried about what I don't know. They said something up chipping away at areas and going around the light sockets. If it's cleaning, I can do that. I just don't know enough, and the Internet is not much help on this one. Not a lot of people doing their own pools I guess.

That looks fantastic! I love the LEDs too! I don't remember... what Pebble Sheen color did you go with?

Thanks. It's aqua blue. I'll have to get better pictures in the light tomorrow. Only issue has been that the colorcascade hasn't been working. It sometimes has one of the three lights lit and another blinking and sometimes won't turn on at all. I called pentair and they're going to send someone out.

My water flow is not very good on my bubbler and waterfall, but I'm guessing that is because I haven't put the eyeballs on the wall fittings yet. I just ordered those on Amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

Great question. One that I'm wrestling with myself. I'm just worried about what I don't know. They said something up chipping away at areas and going around the light sockets. If it's cleaning, I can do that. I just don't know enough, and the Internet is not much help on this one. Not a lot of people doing their own pools I guess.

To revisit this, I paid the $250 for them to do it. It wasn't too hard what they did and I could have done it but oh well. Essentially wet dry vac, hose to spray everything into drain area, sump pump, scrape any uneven areas of gunite, seal around the light, acid wash the wall where there were some calcium stains. I'm fine having paid him, but I do feel like I could have done it.

To revisit this, I paid the $250 for them to do it. It wasn't too hard what they did and I could have done it but oh well. Essentially wet dry vac, hose to spray everything into drain area, sump pump, scrape any uneven areas of gunite, seal around the light, acid wash the wall where there were some calcium stains. I'm fine having paid him, but I do feel like I could have done it.

I wonder if its common for PB's to do this step? I'm currently watering my gunnite, stone work starts tomorrow. I can't help but want to break out my shop vac and clean all the loose debris in the pool.

I can see how it would be doable, but for all that, I'll be happy to pay them! Since it was factored in to the plaster price I was quoted, we've essentially budgeted for it, so we'll have them do it. Thanks for listing what it entailed though.

I wonder if its common for PB's to do this step? I'm currently watering my gunnite, stone work starts tomorrow. I can't help but want to break out my shop vac and clean all the loose debris in the pool.

As Jamie just noted, it's typically part of the plaster subs job. I would have done it with them, but they were $300 and also the guys that did it are my go to pool pros that did most my work. These two brothers have been building pools since they were 9 years old with their dad (over 30 years).

Also, the tile and coping guys make a big mess of concrete that falls down.

Two comments:

1. The pre plaster cleanup is sometimes the plaster subs job but its generally the responsibility of the general contractor or PB. It depends on local custom. This is generally when the PB doses the major clean up and the finish grading so the clean up is often done by the PB or a crew hired by him that may do other work required to fill the pool like make sure the fencing is up to code.

2. It is the PBs (or owners) job to call the electrical sub for the pre deck bonding work. Its not the electrician's job to call every few days. The concrete sub should know that he needs a pre deck inspection on the deck bonding grid and should refuse to pour before there is one if required. But ultimately this falls on the general contractor, not the subs. In an owner build that is the homeowner.

Remember an owner builder has to do the job of the general and that includes the responsibility for general site conditions no matter who caused them.

Two comments:

1. The pre plaster cleanup is sometimes the plaster subs job but its generally the responsibility of the general contractor or PB. It depends on local custom. This is generally when the PB doses the major clean up and the finish grading so the clean up is often done by the PB or a crew hired by him that may do other work required to fill the pool like make sure the fencing is up to code.

2. It is the PBs (or owners) job to call the electrical sub for the pre deck bonding work. Its not the electrician's job to call every few days. The concrete sub should know that he needs a pre deck inspection on the deck bonding grid and should refuse to pour before there is one if required. But ultimately this falls on the general contractor, not the subs. In an owner build that is the homeowner.

Remember an owner builder has to do the job of the general and that includes the responsibility for general site conditions no matter who caused them.

1. The local custom in Austin is for the plaster guy to do the cleanup. That being said, yes. There are some cleanup crews that some builders hire around here.

2. If you're alluding to my previous comments about the electrical inspection, the reason why I was upset with the electrical sub was because he specifically told me that the next time he needed to come out was after the deck was poured. He is responsible for knowing what inspections he does in order to get paid for the job. I was very clear in my question to him of when he needed to come back. I disagree with your point that the concrete sub should refuse to pour concrete or anything like that. It's not his job to ensure that you got a bonding inspection. Also, in this case, I live outside of city limits but inside of city zoning, something that he should not be expected to know since he's not the one having to get permits.

I added a whole bunch more pics to this folder: Finished

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm glad that I did the extra patio. Thanks, ummmgood, particularly on the side. I'm glad I went with the extra light and the sand filter. Thanks, Kim. There were so many pieces of advice here that I don't even remember all of them, but I appreciate it. I'm very pleased with how the project turned out and it was in large part to your help.

For reference for future owner builders, my cost breakdown is available here: Pool - Google Sheets

Note that those costs are very specific to a) Austin, TX and b) the specifics of my project. For example, we decided to do Koolcote on our existing porch so that it matches. That's $631 extra in our patio budget that would not be the same for others. You can use it as a rough cost breakdown of how dollars can add up in a pool price. I ended up spending more than I initially expected because I went upgrading things (doubling patio, more equipment, quartzite coping, etc), but I'm glad I spent all those extra dollars.

With the winding down of the contractors, I'm coming to the sad realization that now my part begins. I actually have to start working now - doing landscaping, brushing the pool, speaker hookup, fence install, etc. I could pay someone to do all that but I feel guilty paying someone for work that I know how to do. And so phase 2 begins...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.