New Austin, TX Owner Build

Your pool turned out amazing!!! Love seeing your little helper brushing! Looks like you have a really nice large deck area for when the kids get older and have their friends over. Your house will be the hangout for sure!
Post more pictures when you do your landscape and finishing items. Would love to see how it all comes together.

Your pool turned out amazing!!! Love seeing your little helper brushing! Looks like you have a really nice large deck area for when the kids get older and have their friends over. Your house will be the hangout for sure!
Post more pictures when you do your landscape and finishing items. Would love to see how it all comes together.

Thanks! Yeah, she's brushing and I've got the oldest (9) testing the water. :) she takes it very serious and is doing a good job. yay for child labor.

Glad I did a pretty large deck, mostly at the suggestion of ummmgood early in the thread. My remaining landscape items are: stepping stones with rock garden around back side and right side of pool, trees (palms and shrub type), and cleaning out the hillside of all the weeds and putting in somethin purdy.

Haven't posted in a while. We are not done yet. Well, we are done with the pool but everything else is adding up. In software development I've heard a saying, "the last 10% is 90%". Totally applies here too.

The yard was a mess after the backhoe of course, especially since we had wetness pretty much during the entire build process on our property. We also are working on doing river rock on the right and back sides of our pool with stepping stones (like we had in our original designs but on the opposite side). We can't put concrete there due to septic setback requirements, but rock should be good. We went with the large 4" rocks so as to reduce likelihood of ending up in the pool.

A couple weekends ago, we rented a bobcat (down south Austin by you, ummmgoood). It was a lot of fun to drive. My pregnant wife got a little tired moving around the materials. We brought in 27 yards of "yard mix" (compost and top soil) and 3 yards of the river rock. I initially only order 9 yards of dirt and thought that would be plenty, but it did not go very far. 2 dump trucks later and up to $1500 in materials later, I feel we blew the budget on landscaping but we still have to put in trees. At least the bobcat was fun.

Right before I did that, I fixed the three valves and surrounding piping on our sprinkler system that the back hoe had run over. It was a ton of work (full day), but was better than the $800 I was quoted for somebody to replace those 3 valves. Now that we fixed those and got dirt in there, I have to fix the rest of the sprinklers coming off the valves. That will be a fun phase 2 there (I will be hiring a day laborer to help me dig).

I want to fix the sprinklers so I can plant grass. We're working on the river rock so that we can then put up a fence. We also need to finish covering some of the electrical trench (the area in the hill where I could not get the bobcat in). Preparing for final inspections.

I think the last steps of building the pool will take longer than the actual pool took, but at least it's in the 70s right now. Turned the heat pump on with the solar blanket and we are now swimming regularly - yipee.

Wow nice that you are swimming. My kids get on the splash pad and make a big mess but aren't fully swimming. We might try tomorrow.

Bobcats are fun. My father-in-law is a heavy equipment operator so he always has equipment around for doing stuff himself. I have tried bobcats a couple of time and I alway seem to get the thing to buck like crazy.

Wow nice that you are swimming. My kids get on the splash pad and make a big mess but aren't fully swimming. We might try tomorrow.

Bobcats are fun. My father-in-law is a heavy equipment operator so he always has equipment around for doing stuff himself. I have tried bobcats a couple of time and I alway seem to get the thing to buck like crazy.

My kids are a little crazy. I just finally am getting in with the heat pump set to 80 to take the edge off. I was actually surprised how quickly the heat pump was able to heat it up. Went from 66 to 76 in 6 hours.

The bobcat was fun except for the part where I was on a 45 degree angle sideways on a hill feeling like I was going to tip over. Had to go on the septic field, ended up hitting a drip line on the septic that caused me some stress (though wasn't a big deal - $75 service call).

And5555 are you still around? I thoroughly enjoyed reading over this tread as I live just north of you in Georgetown. I will definitely be able to relate to the rock issue during the excavation. I'm considering an owner build as well and I wanted to follow-up with a couple of questions?

1. Have you run into any problems since the build that would have normally been covered under a PB warranty?
2. Did you have a checklist of phases that needed to be done? I found another post that included the different phases, was yours similar.
3. Would you have done anything differently?
4. Would you be able to share any of the contractors contact information that you used?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.