New Austin, TX Owner Build

I enjoyed looking through your pictures, especially seeing your little helpers brushing the pool! The KoolCote really looks nice with your coping. What color did you end up choosing?

When I called the company the guy was really nice and would have given me the builder's price you mentioned, but they don't have servicers up here so I'd be paying their travel/overnight expenses and it would add up too much. Too bad... I'm pretty sure it will be impossible to find anyone under $2 around here. Best I've found is $2.50, but maybe I can negotiate down a little considering we have over 1300 sq ft of deck plus an existing patio we'd probably want to match.

Your whole project turned out great! Good luck with all the add on things that now fall to you. It seems there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done!

I enjoyed looking through your pictures, especially seeing your little helpers brushing the pool! The KoolCote really looks nice with your coping. What color did you end up choosing?

When I called the company the guy was really nice and would have given me the builder's price you mentioned, but they don't have servicers up here so I'd be paying their travel/overnight expenses and it would add up too much. Too bad... I'm pretty sure it will be impossible to find anyone under $2 around here. Best I've found is $2.50, but maybe I can negotiate down a little considering we have over 1300 sq ft of deck plus an existing patio we'd probably want to match.

Your whole project turned out great! Good luck with all the add on things that now fall to you. It seems there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done!

Thanks.

I went with a color called Houston Tan. That's too bad that koolcote isn't really an option there. There is a product online that you can get that ends up being about $1 per sq ft for DIY. The coating is very similar to texturing a wall and painting it. My understanding is that you get a nap paint roller to apply it. You mix the material online with whatever color you want. You might even ask KoolCote if you can buy the mix they use. If not, I believe the guy at Sanchez coating sells the mix they use: 512-576-3549

Good luck on the rest of your project. It's coming along so quickly.

Thanks.

I went with a color called Houston Tan. That's too bad that koolcote isn't really an option there. There is a product online that you can get that ends up being about $1 per sq ft for DIY. The coating is very similar to texturing a wall and painting it. My understanding is that you get a nap paint roller to apply it. You mix the material online with whatever color you want. You might even ask KoolCote if you can buy the mix they use. If not, I believe the guy at Sanchez coating sells the mix they use: 512-576-3549

Good luck on the rest of your project. It's coming along so quickly.

what is the name of the online product that is $1/sqft?

Cool deck. Here's the Amazon link but I think you might be able to find it a few dollars cheaper elsewhere online with google. Amazon.com : Cool Pool Deck Coating - 5 Gallons : Swimming Pool Deck Protective Coatings : Patio, Lawn Garden

I haven't used it but it has decent ratings out of 10 reviews.

It's interesting that you point out that product. I'd seen it and have been considering it (even asking if a one on TFP had any experience with it). I'm a little concerned about coverage since some say they ended up using more than they expected. But it may prove to be the way we go if we can't spend the money up front on spray deck.

You could look into buying the same products that spray deck companies use and do it yourself. I don't know about there in Texas but here in AZ there are a couple companies who make and sell the products. There is a powdered concrete type material that is mixed with an acrylic liquid and sprayed on or troweled to produce the texture. It is then covered with a roll on acrylic color coat. I have done some small repairs and recoated with the color coat on my deck. I don't know the exact cost of the base texture but the final color coat was $135 for a five gallon pail that states that it covers 100-125 square feet per gallon.

Thanks Chief. That's an idea, although we'd probably still need to hire someone to apply it with any texture as we don't have experience with that. The Cool pruduct mentioned above is rolled on and has a grittiness to the surface. They claim it acts as a "heat sink" through the concrete to cool the deck. This is unlike the KookCote and SunDek products that say their cooling effect is from the texture (less surface area touching your foot) and the light color. So although it gets a lot of good reviews, I don't know if it's really because of what they say, or just because people are tinting it with a lighter color.

Andy, I was wondering, since they applied your KoolCote to new concrete, how soon after the pour did that take place? Also, what kind of prep work did they need to do on your existing patio before applying the coating?

1. The local custom in Austin is for the plaster guy to do the cleanup. That being said, yes. There are some cleanup crews that some builders hire around here.

2. If you're alluding to my previous comments about the electrical inspection, the reason why I was upset with the electrical sub was because he specifically told me that the next time he needed to come out was after the deck was poured. He is responsible for knowing what inspections he does in order to get paid for the job. I was very clear in my question to him of when he needed to come back. I disagree with your point that the concrete sub should refuse to pour concrete or anything like that. It's not his job to ensure that you got a bonding inspection. Also, in this case, I live outside of city limits but inside of city zoning, something that he should not be expected to know since he's not the one having to get permits.

Bonding around the perimeter of the pool has more to do with the decking sub than the electrician. Concrete contractors that do pool decks should be very familiar with the bonding requirements mainly because they are the ones that tie the bond wires into the rebar grid. The also should know that there is a pre-deck inspection that is required for the pour.

Gwegan is correct, this is no issue on the part of the electrician. If the deck sub didn't do it or missed it, then it falls on the general contractor, or in your case, the owner/builder. If you are going to act in that capacity, then you would be the one to arrange to have the inspection and should know what needs to be done prior to it.

Bonding around the perimeter of the pool has more to do with the decking sub than the electrician. Concrete contractors that do pool decks should be very familiar with the bonding requirements mainly because they are the ones that tie the bond wires into the rebar grid. The also should know that there is a pre-deck inspection that is required for the pour.

Gwegan is correct, this is no issue on the part of the electrician. If the deck sub didn't do it or missed it, then it falls on the general contractor, or in your case, the owner/builder. If you are going to act in that capacity, then you would be the one to arrange to have the inspection and should know what needs to be done prior to it.

In any case, we got it figured out. Just for clarification, though, when you work with a licensed electrician in Austin, they are the ones that pull permits, schedule inspections, etc. I was responsible for getting the building permit (and scheduling its layout inspection and final building). The plumbing and electrical inspection fall under the licensed contractor to pull those permits and schedule the inspections.

I agree that I should have known that the deck needed to be bonded before pour (and I hope that's not the point that were trying to belabor). I was just upset that the electrician told me the wrong thing (since he's the one that has to schedule the electrical inspections). I thought he'd be able to advise me correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

Andy, I was wondering, since they applied your KoolCote to new concrete, how soon after the pour did that take place? Also, what kind of prep work did they need to do on your existing patio before applying the coating?

They said they had to wait 3 days. They wouldn't even give me a quote before it was poured though (since they needed to measure after pour and look for anything they'd need to do extra like grinding.

My understanding on existing patio is that it depends on how smooth it is. On the patio that we did they didn't do a lot of extra. On the side patio that we decided not to do, they said they'd have to grind it a bunch to smooth the surface (which would cost extra and therefore why we decided not to do it). Of note: even the smooth surface that was existing was and extra $1 per sq ft since it wasn't new.

Your pool looks great!!!

I agree with you even my PB calls the electrician that did the work to call for the bonding inspection.

Did you get final inspection already? I thought that was more easy than I was envisioning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pool looks great!!!

I agree with you even my PB calls the electrician that did the work to call for the bonding inspection.

Did you get final inspection already? I thought that was more easy than I was envisioning.

Hey man. Thanks.

I have not done the final inspection yet. I'm actually dreading it a bit. One big thing that I have to get done before then is the fence. I'm a bit stressed about that because the way I was planning on doing the fence might not work. A part of the fence would be within 5 feet from the pool. Since I was going to go with one of those removable online fences, I think it would have aluminum that would have to be bonded. That would be a pain. It also would be kind of hard to go straight up with it on the steep hill. I have to install a pool fence since my yard doesn't have a fence. I'm ghessing you didn't do a pool fence, right? For the final, was there anything to it at all, or did the guy walk around, check boxes, and leave?

I did just get my rock speakers installed though - the important stuff :). Went to a goodwill auction to get a receiver, got some rock speakers that blend right in with the yard, and it's jammin - unfortunately the kids keep wanting the Chipmunks...

Hey man. Thanks.

I have not done the final inspection yet. I'm actually dreading it a bit. One big thing that I have to get done before then is the fence. I'm a bit stressed about that because the way I was planning on doing the fence might not work. A part of the fence would be within 5 feet from the pool. Since I was going to go with one of those removable online fences, I think it would have aluminum that would have to be bonded. That would be a pain. It also would be kind of hard to go straight up with it on the steep hill. I have to install a pool fence since my yard doesn't have a fence. I'm ghessing you didn't do a pool fence, right? For the final, was there anything to it at all, or did the guy walk around, check boxes, and leave?

I did just get my rock speakers installed though - the important stuff :). Went to a goodwill auction to get a receiver, got some rock speakers that blend right in with the yard, and it's jammin - unfortunately the kids keep wanting the Chipmunks...

I honestly think the final inspection has a lot to do with what inspector you get. Mine seemed really down to earth and easy. We have a 6' fence around our yard. He basically glanced to see that the fence went all the way around. Any metal within 5' of the waters edge has to be bonded. I think it is also important that the fence not be easily climbable. I think some fences that have the horizontal slats that a child could climb like a ladder wouldn't pass. All gate latches have to be at least 54" above the ground. If you have a rear yard that is fenced like ours then all windows less than 6 feet off the ground have to have a lock where the window cannot open more than 4" or have to be alarmed. The door has to be alarmed going to the rear yard. He checked all these things and was out of there. The next time he came back after we failed he just checked the two things he failed us for and passed us.

It sounds to me since you don't have a rear fence you probably need a pool safety fence. That or fence your back yard. Not sure what is easier in your case. I do have 3 alarms I am willing to sell cheap if you need some.

Oh and that is so funny about the chipmunks. There were a couple years of my life dedicated to the chipmunks, wiggles, jojo's circus. Now that I have a 12 year old she pretty much controls the music and the other kids follow along so we have less of that now. We have moved on to Radio Disney etc...

I hope you don't have alarms because you used them to pass code inspection then removed them. The pool codes provide for protecting all doors leading to the pool area either with alarms or by raising the latch handle and making the door self-closing. In my case, I did both, and I don't even have any children in the household.

I spent 40 years in Fire & Emergency Medical Services and have seen way too many tragedies. Whole families dying because someone just took the batteries out of a smoke detector. A tragic death of a child due to a few second of inattention. Having a pool is a huge responsibility and safety codes should never be ignored much less intentionally defeated.

(End of lecture) I'll put my soap box away.

I hope you don't have alarms because you used them to pass code inspection then removed them. The pool codes provide for protecting all doors leading to the pool area either with alarms or by raising the latch handle and making the door self-closing. In my case, I did both, and I don't even have any children in the household.

I spent 40 years in Fire & Emergency Medical Services and have seen way too many tragedies. Whole families dying because someone just took the batteries out of a smoke detector. A tragic death of a child due to a few second of inattention. Having a pool is a huge responsibility and safety codes should never be ignored much less intentionally defeated.

(End of lecture) I'll put my soap box away.

Thanks we take our kids very seriously. The alarms required by the city are beyond unusable. They go off if you have the door open more than 15 seconds. I have an old dog and it takes us a minute of coaxing to get him to come in the house because he can barely see. In the first couple days of having them on (we tried to live with them) we had maybe 20 false alarms. We replaced the alarms with very nice locks the kids can't reach that are lag bolted through the door frame and into the studs of the house. I replaced the window alarms with locks that prevent them from opening more than 4". So while we don't have the UL 2017 alarms our pool access is secure. Oh and I looked at maybe 20 homes with pools before we bought this house and even though the pools were newer not one had these alarms on the house. I also couldn't even find them at Home Depot or Lowes and had special order them. While I appreciate the intent to protect kids when you go so far to make the devices completely human error proof it also makes them where no one wants to use them.

Doors should have self closing hinges or devices and a latch that is 48" or more above the floor. It must be a latch type device that has to be activated each time the door is opened. Deadbolts or draw bolts don't qualify. That type could easily be forgotten and it only takes once. I know that many (if not most) don't have doors that comply, but that's the code and there are reasons for it. It did cost me a bit to raise the latches on my doors and add self-closing hinges.

For door alarms, $5 will get you battery powered ones at Harbor Freight that sound only while the door is open and reset as soon as the door is closed. In fact, I think there were two in a package for $5 on sale. That doesn't meet the letter of the code, but is certainly better than nothing. I just use those to supplement the latches and self-closers. Belt and suspenders approach...But then I do take safety very seriously.

And5555- I always chuckle when I open this page 7 and the first thing that catches my eye is that you chose Houston tan, being from Austin and all. Maybe it's just my warped sense of humor....

Haha! This is funny! It looks like we're going to be using something called "Kahlua Cream" for our spray deck color. I wonder if it's the alcoholic reference that's appealing to me after all the stresses of an O/B! ;-)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.