Need new automation system.

pkuprionas

Jun 20, 2023
Clermont, FL
I am currently running an Intermatic RC2163BFE (https://www.intermatic.com/Product/RC2163BFE) that is failing. I've had to replace the heater control board and luckily was able to find one for a reasonable price (used) on eBay. I'm not even sure I could get the part new anywhere at this point.

I'm thinking the Pentair IntelliCenter System (Load Center with i5P Personality Kit) - Part number 523448 but I'm not really sure that is the correct one (very confused).

I basically want to have the ability to turn on the spa (currently a very simple rotary timer switch to activate the actuators), monitor the pump (remote/WiFi/app) and allow the heater to work. I don't think I need to do anything for the SWG as it just comes on with the pump currently (but again, I may be not understanding).

My equipment is as follows, any advice is welcome!

At some point I will also replace the gas heater with an electric heat pump - but not for a year or two.

Pool PumpB+D 2HP variable speed pump
Power/Timer/AutomationIntermatic RC2163BFE
HeaterJandy LRZE natural gas
SWGCircupool RJ45 Plus
Spa valves (2) actuatorsIntermatic PE24VA
Lighting (pool/spa and landscape)Suraielec 300W Wi-Fi
FilterJandy CJ200

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Post pics of your equipment pad and let us see the type of valves you have.

You list a Superflo pump next to the B+D pump. Are you playing to replace your pump?

How old is your Circupool SWG cell?

The i5P kit will not control your spa. You need the i5PS kit - 521907 at a minimum.

You really need a way to vary the speeds on your pump so you can run it at a lower speed when your heater is not on and have the IntelliCenter increase the pump speed when the heater is on.

You can control the B+D VS pump speeds with the IntelliCenter using the Smartflo Automation adapter which would require using three of the high voltage relays. If you plan to do that you should get an i8 system with 8 relays rather than 5. However that will not work with the heater control on the IntelliCenter.

Really with the IntelliCenter you want a Pentair VS pump and the IntelliChlor SWG so the automation can control them. I don't know how far you want to go with this but the time to decide is now. If you want an IntelliChlor eventually then you should get the bundle with the Intellichlor as it is a good deal and discount from getting the Power Center and cell later.

Have you considered getting a Pentair VS pump and selling your B+D pump?

Last edited:
You can control the B+D VS pump speeds with the IntelliCenter using the Smartflo Automation adapter
If you decide to go that route, the Calimar pump uses the same automation interface and it's less expensive...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.