My pool test results

I'm a little worried now. I just tested my water for chlorine and here are the results:

FC is 2.5
CC is .5
TC is 3

Water temp is about 50 F

Am I not waiting long enough to test? I can go get more bleach if needed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I think i know why my FC was so low....

I got the pump running at 430pm....then put the bleach in after making sure that the pump was running fine.
I realized later that my skimmer wasnt really working, then saw that my waterline was above the top 2 screws...so I did a rookie mistake and backwashed until the waterline was about mid-way of the skimmer box. Skimmer is now happy and working great....

Around 530 or so, I started to clean the pool, that is, with the brush and really gave the pool a good scrubbing. The clear water, that it was, became murky and cloudy. Having large aquariums I knew this to be normal after cleaning it so I didnt think anything of it.

I think between the 4-5 inches of water I purged plus striring the pot if you will, caused my FC to plummet.

Since my wife is out of town till tomorrow, and to make sure I have a nice jump on things, I put in 242 more oz of bleach. With my existing 2.5 plus according to poolmath, this would add 6.6 for a total of 9.1 FC..or so I thought

Here are my new results:

FC - 13...I think I inadvertantly shocked my pool XD
CC - .5
TC - 13.5
TA - 100
CYA - waiting to check in a week or so

It is currently raining lightly, so I somewhat expect these results to go a little outta whack. Rain is expected for Sunday also. I wonder if I should make any adjustments for the next 24-48hrs aside from testing.

Rain...even a lot will always have very minimal effect on your pool chemistry. It's a common assumption that it will, but it is just untrue.

You lost a little FC to backwash, but Chlorine is consumable. You have things (organics) in the pool, even if you can't see them. They are consuming your FC and it will have to be constantly replenished. More so when you are completing a SLAM process, which you should be doing. With Cya 60 your SLAM level will be 25 FC. You can read about how to SLAM in Pool School, but please read about Chlorinating your pool as well. Chlorine gets used up, particularly in a newly opened pool like this.

Since the Cya is dispersed and sunk, I would be brushing and stirring it around every time I had the chance. Hopefully it won't make any marks on the liner.

Thanks brushpup. I just checked my chlorine and pH.

FC holding steady. A little loss of fc. Went down by .5ppm

New results:

FC 12.5
CC .5
TC 13
PH 7.5

I'll do as you say and move the stabilizer when I can.

Btw, I'm pretty excited. I've read about how to chlorinate your pool. And been consulting he cya/chorine table. I'm going to install my swg but per the recommendations of the folks here I will wait till my pool is stable first before plugging it in.

One thing though, the water is cloudy, is it ok to use water clarifier?

Clarifier can cause more problems than it helps, and is generally just a waste of money. Your pool is cloudy because you have stuff growing in it. You'll have to follow the SLAM process to clear it up.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I am a little confused though, I've been directed to have my FC not very high, initially around 5 but your saying I should be slamming it instead?

My CYA isn't 60 yet. It registered under 20 last night, but then again I had just added the stabilizer. I understand that it can take up to a week for the test to show accurately .

One other thing. I read on the stabilizer containers that my filter psi will go up.

My clean pressure is 11 but its now at 24. I assume this is to be expected?

The instructions on the stabilizer assumes you dump it in the skimmer. If you did that, it would temporarily "clog" the filter and raise the pressure. If you used our sock method, disregard the label.

As for your FC level, it will depend on your CYA level. If there's no CYA in the water, you want to keep it low for two reasons...1) the chlorine is unbuffered and will be harsh on the liner and 2) sunlight will burn most of it off anyways.

If you've added any CYA to the water, even though you can't test it yet, assume it's there and adjust your SLAM level accordingly.

Gotcha, thanks very much. So ill target for an FC of 24 to shock it. I added the stabilizer directly to the pool. I noticed that I did not see any movement at all from my return jets. I back washed for 10 seconds and put it back. Pressure is back to 12psi on the filter.

I'll recheck the chlorine this afternoon per the OCTI or however it's called and retest tomorrow morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just checked my chlorine and... was interesting. My OCLT actually went from 17.5 to 18.

New results:

FC 18
CC .5
TC 18.5

Its raining atm, i'm dying to know what my CYA is at. I did put enough stabilizer to put it up in the 60's but will take a few more days before I "really" know, however, based on poolmath, it should be 50-60 or so. Should I keep raising my FC until I get to 24?

Heh no worries, it's getting slightly clearer but it's still cloudy esp more so in the deep end. I just got a manual vac head and hose. Worked on cleaning the deep end. I couldn't see more then maybe 4 feet but I did get some dead worms and whatnot. There wasn't as much big stuff like leaves that I got so I was somewhat relieved but until it clears up some it's up in the air. I wish o had the vac before scrubbing the pool. Live and learn :)

I checked my CYA...I know it's early but since I didn't see much of of the white granules I figured I'd test out of curiosity. It was right at 20ppm. Maybe a stupid question but with me moving the stabilizer alot these past few days would it be the reason that the pool is cloudy? It's whitish cloudy.

Gotcha

Just tested after putting more bleach in this am (around 121 oz @ 8am) FC is now at 23. Think it's fine enough for shock level? CYA is still low since I put it in 3 days ago. I tested it last night and it was at 20

Consider that it takes a lot of bleach at that first dose to start the algae kill, yet the FC gets depleted as it kills off the algae and will need more chlorine replenishment to *maintain* that kill level until all the cooties are dead and gone.
The more often you test, perhaps even hourly at first, the better! You're trying to get your chlorine level up to SLAM level and KEEP it there with frequent repeated doses of chlorine. The repeated doses aren't always as much as that first dose, just enough to bring your CL level back up to your desired SLAM level.
If you don't test often enough, how do you know when your CL drops below the level required to kill the algae? If you wait too long and find the CL way low and depleted all you've done is give the algae a chance to re-bloom.
Twice a day testing might be okay near the end of a SLAM, but I'd be concerned that its not enough in the early hours/days.

Understood. Question thought about the white cloudyness. Would it be due to the stabilizer granules I spread out a few days ago? It did appear to cause it to get cloudy then. My OCLT was no greater than .5ppm lost. Is that an indicator if I have algae or not?

Gotcha

Just tested after putting more bleach in this am (around 121 oz @ 8am) FC is now at 23. Think it's fine enough for shock level? CYA is still low since I put it in 3 days ago. I tested it last night and it was at 20

How much CYA did you add with your goal being what final CYA reading? You should consider your SLAM level based on the entire dose you added, not just the 20 showing up this quickly. You know it takes up to a week to show up on the CYA test so your CYA might actually be much higher and require a higher level of CL for the process.

I put 13lbs on Saturday..3/15. Yep I understand it takes up to a week. What I mean is if I should be shocking based on the total put in. Now that I think of it. Someone already said this in thus thread. Sorry for asking again. This is overwhelming and I may be just double checking when the answer was already given.

As always thank you guys for helping it is very much appreciated!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.