Metals in pool

So, if it is not iron, what do YOU think is the source of the stain? Didn't the AA treatment work?,,,,,,,,,,that would be iron. Where is it coming from?
I’m not sure. All 4 of the AA treatments worked. But, as soon as I start raising the chlorine, bam, orangy steps.

I thought yellow was Iron in the CuLator. I don't remember seeing anything from orange/pink (you'd be best off asking CuLator what that color means). Just because the water tests clear of iron, doesn't mean there's not iron in your water (unfortunately).
When it 1st started capturing, it was the color on the Culator for iron. It’s in my filter basket which is difficult to open. So, my description may not be accurate. I feel certain it’s iron.

Read and follow these instructions carefully...

Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Here are the directions to use Ascorbic acid to rid your pool of metal stains: Here is the ascorbic treatment: Take your chlorine down to 0 and PH down to 7.2, if there is chlorine in the water it won't hurt, it will just eat up the ascorbic acid, so you will need more to get rid of the...
www.troublefreepool.com
www.troublefreepool.com

1 gallon is probably small, not sure how well the test would work, never tried it.. You can buy 5 gallon white buckets at a hardware store or Home Depot or Lowes or Menards or something other place like that for a couple bucks. Might be worth getting one or two, they come in handy for lots of things.
I’ll get a white one today and try that test. I don’t have any kind of auto-fil on my pool. I drag the way hose across the yard and put water in it when it gets low. Lol

I’ve done this 4 times. Lol
How much sequestrant did you add and what product did you use?
Did you wait 24 hours after treatment to bring up FC?
Were you absolutely sure your pH was no higher than 7.2?
As you were SLOOWLY bringing up FC, what increments were you using?
How much chlorine did it take and over what time period?
When you saw stains while slowly raising FC, did you add more sequestrant?
Did you keep your ph 7.2 for two weeks?

I don't believe that you followed the process and added too much FC too quickly, or didn't add more sequestrant, or didn't carefully manage pH.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
How much sequestrant did you add and what product did you use?
Did you wait 24 hours after treatment to bring up FC?
Were you absolutely sure your pH was no higher than 7.2?
As you were SLOOWLY bringing up FC, what increments were you using?
How much chlorine did it take and over what time period?
When you saw stains while slowly raising FC, did you add more sequestrant?
Did you keep your ph 7.2 for two weeks?

I don't believe that you followed the process and added too much FC too quickly, or didn't add more sequestrant, or didn't carefully manage pH.

If you can comment what sequestrant you're using with your AA treatments, that will help.

If you are NOT using a sequestrant at all then doing an AA treatment is just going to result in more staining all over again when FC starts accumulating, there is no way around that other than a) sequestering the metals with the AA treatment and maintenance dosing, or b) draining water and refilling, or c) filtering it out BEFORE the iron goes into suspension so it's can't stain in the future (that is not easy, and requires a sequestrant regardless, combined with CuLators or filters combined with a Fiber Filter from Jack's (to catch lower mircon junk), or d) filtering the iron out AFTER it has gone into suspension (when your water turns green'ish from the iron) and then remove it via your pool filters (not so effective) AND polyfill (but even with this, you're like to see some staining again before you catch it all).

Metals suck.

The 1st 2 times I didn’t do it correctly. That’s all in the post. The 3rd time, I tried using a sequestrant from homey depot, there’s a pic in the post. I used whatever they recommended, plus one bottle. I’m pretty sure I waited about raising the chlorine. I was using Clorox and testing after an hour. By the time I got to 2 ppm FC it was coming back. And, my CUlater is changing colors like it’s working. The 4th time I used Clorox sequestrant. And, I just did it about a week and 1/2 ago. I’m 6 bottles in and I’ll attach a pic of my steps . My Ph has been between 7.0 and 7.2 when I did the treatments. This time it did take a little longer for it to brown. I put two bottles of chlorine in this weekend to raise it up to safely swim. But, I get my chlorine up if I put a bottle of chlorine or Clorox in, it raises it to 1ppm. And, I’ve been keeping it there. And, it’s like ground hogs day. (The movie). Today my chlorine is zero! I have spent $100’s. I have a Culater kit. But, I don’t know if I want to keep doing this . It’s not safe to swim in and it’s still brown. I’m thinking about super chlorinating so we can at least swim.

Attachments

• IMG_3010.jpeg
    IMG_3010.jpeg
    593.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2997.jpeg
    IMG_2997.jpeg
    469.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3011.jpeg
    IMG_3011.jpeg
    745.3 KB · Views: 11

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would switch Sequestrants. No idea if the kind you used is an HEPD sequestrant or not, it might be an EDTA kind... Unsure without looking at the bottle or specs.??

You have a SWCG pool, so pick yourself up some Jack's Purple Stuff (if you're using your SWCG typically). I might also pick up some Jack's Filter Fiber to add to your cartridge filter as well so it filters down to a lower micron and you have a better chance of filtering out the sequestered metals. I would stay away from anything Clorox or Home Depot branded. I have done numerous AA treatments (in fact some very large dosage AA treatments that I've not see anyone here at TFP even come close to) and with the combination of the Purple Stuff (I use a Purple/Magenta mix actually, but disregard), I've always been able to keep my metals sequestered AFTER doing the AA treatment, even bringing my FC up to 4, 6, and 8 -within- 24 hours of AA treatments and constant (by the hour) additional Chlorine dosing to keep neutralizing the AA.

Just out of curiosity, how many pounds of AA do you use, typically? (I dont see how many gallons your pool is, in your signature, just shows the size) The more AA you using, the more Chlorine you will need to add to neutralize the AA eventually (but the more AA you add, the better it does at lifting stains, obviously).

Reactions: PoolStored
My pool is 26,000 gallon. I’ve used 10 lbs all together. The first time it was 2 lbs. I have tried to just use it some on the steps without doing a whole treatment. The last treatment I did, I ran my pump for 36 hours. It looked good the whole time. I’ve done 3 algae treatments because someone told me it could be iron bacteria. Maybe I’ll give it another shot. How often do you use sequestrant after the initial treatment?

How often do you use sequestrant after the initial treatment?

Read and follow these instructions carefully...

Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Here are the directions to use Ascorbic acid to rid your pool of metal stains: Here is the ascorbic treatment: Take your chlorine down to 0 and PH down to 7.2, if there is chlorine in the water it won't hurt, it will just eat up the ascorbic acid, so you will need more to get rid of the...
www.troublefreepool.com

www.troublefreepool.com

Get the right sequestrant.

How many pounds of AA did you use JUST on the last AA treatment? Just curious.

With 26,000 gallons, IMHO you're probably looking at 3 bottles of Jack's Purple Stuff for the initial dose and roughly 24oz additional each week (Yes, I overshoot the recommend #'s a bit, which is why I'm recommending more than what you might read on the bottle itself). Jack's isn't super cheap, but at this point, if you're like me, you probably don't care and just want issue addressed so you can enjoy your pool.

Iron bacteria is more common if you have a well (another crappy issue I deal with as well, as the well has to be shocked/chlorinated 2x a year to treat the bacteria) as it leaves a filmy-slimy (dead skin-like) coating along the water's edge. I have not really seen this in my pool, though I definitely see it in the back of my toilet tanks if I let my well chlorination go too long between treatments. If you don't have a well, I doubt you'd have iron bacteria (just $.02).

How many pounds of AA did you use JUST on the last AA treatment? Just curious.

With 26,000 gallons, IMHO you're probably looking at 3 bottles of Jack's Purple Stuff for the initial dose and roughly 24oz additional each week (Yes, I overshoot the recommend #'s a bit, which is why I'm recommending more than what you might read on the bottle itself). Jack's isn't super cheap, but at this point, if you're like me, you probably don't care and just want issue addressed so you can enjoy your pool.

Iron bacteria is more common if you have a well (another crappy issue I deal with as well, as the well has to be shocked/chlorinated 2x a year to treat the bacteria) as it leaves a filmy-slimy (dead skin-like) coating along the water's edge. I have not really seen this in my pool, though I definitely see it in the back of my toilet tanks if I let my well chlorination go too long between treatments. If you don't have a well, I doubt you'd have iron bacteria (just $.02).
Probably a couple of pounds. It was what was left in my 8 lb bucket.

I'm not sure the math, and I'm guessing there is a sort of math to help calculate it, but if for example, you used 2 pounds of AA, it might take roughly 2-3 gallons in total of 12.5% chlorine over a couple days to neutralize the AA that was added to the pool. I could be OFF here and maybe someone else can locate the math or estimate for that (I tried finding it in Pool Math but couldn't see anything for it).

(I vaguely seem to recall that when I previously used about 8 pounds of AA, it took about 8 gallons (overall, over time...) of 12.5% chlorine in my pool because the FC would start to stabilize, but that's off the top of my memory.... like I said, there might be some math that could be used to determine this?).

I'm not sure the math, and I'm guessing there is a sort of math to help calculate it, but if for example, you used 2 pounds of AA, it might take roughly 2-3 gallons in total of 12.5% chlorine over a couple days to neutralize the AA that was added to the pool. I could be OFF here and maybe someone else can locate the math or estimate for that (I tried finding it in Pool Math but couldn't see anything for it).

(I vaguely seem to recall that when I previously used about 8 pounds of AA, it took about 8 gallons (overall, over time...) of 12.5% chlorine in my pool because the FC would start to stabilize, but that's off the top of my memory.... like I said, there might be some math that could be used to determine this?).
I was using the pool math app to bring the chlorine up. I was checking it every hour. But, the highest it got was around 4. And it didn’t stay there. The next morning it was one or zero. I was using bleach. It’s only about 6%, I think. I’m still having to add bleach after a week and a half. Today it was back to zero.

The AA will eat up chlorine/bleach pretty quick, but eventually it will all be neutralized. I really think if you switched to Jack's Purple Stuff, and switch to 12.5% liquid chlorine, you're going to be okay.... Maybe add some Jack's Filter Fiber to your cartridge filter as well.

Did you add any Polyquat-60 with your AA treatment? or did you skip that? If you skipped it, it's also possible (not saying that's the case) that you some low level algae in your pool that is also eating up the chlorine added. Have you kept track of how much TOTAL 6% bleach you've added to the pool since the AA treatment?

The AA will eat up chlorine/bleach pretty quick, but eventually it will all be neutralized. I really think if you switched to Jack's Purple Stuff, and switch to 12.5% liquid chlorine, you're going to be okay.... Maybe add some Jack's Filter Fiber to your cartridge filter as well.

Did you add any Polyquat-60 with your AA treatment? or did you skip that? If you skipped it, it's also possible (not saying that's the case) that you some low level algae in your pool that is also eating up the chlorine added. Have you kept track of how much TOTAL 6% bleach you've added to the pool since the AA treatment?
I should have written it down because it’s all running together now. I did have some liquid Chlorine. I’ve used about 3 gallons of that and about 5 gallons of bleach, maybe. I checked it everyday and put enough in to raise it to 1-2 ppm. I did use two different kinds of algae killers. But, they were both made by Clorox. I just went to Walley World or Homey Depot and got what I could find while I was off work. I did have some pink looking algae in the skimmer recently. We cut a tree back that we thought may have been contributing to the problem when I thought it was iron bacteria. My husband is worried we’re going to start glowing after we get in because I’ve put so much in it. I’ll order some polyquat60. I’ve ordered some purple stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.