Metals in pool

PS --- you have (1) CuLator 1.0 and (1) CuLator 4.0, correct? Are you able to place the 4.0 in your pump basket instead of the skimmer? And leave the 1.0 in your skimmer?

What's your CYA at?
My CYA is 60. I turned my my chlorinator back on @ 50% which is where I usually run it. I’m going to check and add chlorine every hour. I do have some pink stuff in my filter basket which I’m guessing is algae. I’ve been trying to keep my chlorine between 1-2 based on advice from David. But, I’m used to keeping it much higher. I’m going to go as slow as possible. I did get a 5 gallon bucket to do my “science experiment.” My pump has been running 24/7 since Thursday. I ordered more purple stuff for maintenance. Maybe the planets will line up this time.

PS --- you have (1) CuLator 1.0 and (1) CuLator 4.0, correct? Are you able to place the 4.0 in your pump basket instead of the skimmer? And leave the 1.0 in your skimmer?
They’re both 4.0. One is in the pump basket and one in the skimmer. The one in the pump basket has been in there about a month. I just added the one in the skimmer.

Reactions: jesse-99
My CYA is 60. I turned my my chlorinator back on @ 50% which is where I usually run it. I’m going to check and add chlorine every hour. I do have some pink stuff in my filter basket which I’m guessing is algae. I’ve been trying to keep my chlorine between 1-2 based on advice from David. But, I’m used to keeping it much higher. I’m going to go as slow as possible. I did get a 5 gallon bucket to do my “science experiment.” My pump has been running 24/7 since Thursday. I ordered more purple stuff for maintenance. Maybe the planets will line up this time.
Got it. With a CYA of 60, I'd be shooting around the 3-4 FC mark, and NO higher than that for that first week.. Remember you did add Polyquat60 so that should help with any algae prevention for awhile (until your chlorine eats up the Polyquat60 eventually, though I don't remember how quickly that happens, but someone else might be able to chime in!). Also it shouldn't hurt to go 24 hours after your AA treatment before you start trying to bring FC up (because of the Polyquat60). What's the temps this weekend?

One other quick mention, for a pool your size, 1 pound of AA may not be enough to get rid of all your staining. The typical wisdom is adding .5lb to 1lb per 10,000 gallons, but in the past, for me (my experience may vary from others) I have a lot more success with 2lb-3lb per 10,000, for -real- heavy staining. (though I'd always always recommend that someone starts on the lower .5lb - 1lb end if AA treatments are still new for you and if the staining is light.

Crossing my fingers for you!

They’re both 4.0. One is in the pump basket and one in the skimmer. The one in the pump basket has been in there about a month. I just added the one in the skimmer.
David told me I didn’t need it. But,
Got it. With a CYA of 60, I'd be shooting around the 3-4 FC mark, and NO higher than that for that first week.. Remember you did add Polyquat60 so that should help with any algae prevention for awhile (until your chlorine eats up the Polyquat60 eventually, though I don't remember how quickly that happens, but someone else might be able to chime in!). Also it shouldn't hurt to go 24 hours after your AA treatment before you start trying to bring FC up (because of the Polyquat60). What's the temps this weekend?

One other quick mention, for a pool your size, 1 pound of AA may not be enough to get rid of all your staining. The typical wisdom is adding .5lb to 1lb per 10,000 gallons, but in the past, for me (my experience may vary from others) I have a lot more success with 2lb-3lb per 10,000, for -real- heavy staining. (though I'd always always recommend that someone starts on the lower .5lb - 1lb end if AA treatments are still new for you and if the staining is light.

Crossing my fingers for you!
It’s 85 degrees and the water temp is 84.

David told me I didn’t need it. But,

It’s 85 degrees and the water temp is 84.
My AA treatment is going pretty well. But, I feel like I’m in a holding pattern with the chlorine. I had to add a lot of chlorine in the beginning and MA to keep my PH down. And, of course, more sequestrant when the staining returned. My chlorine still hasn’t really stabilized. And, when I get it around 2 ppm the stains come back. I started last Thursday night with my AA treatment. But, really didn’t start bringing my chlorine up until Saturday. So, it’s been about 4 days. I’ve kept my pump running most of that time. It kept the FC from dropping to zero. The last 2 days I’ve only done adjustments 7a and 5:30 p because I had to work. I’m off today. Any suggestions? The pool looks good except for a little bit of pink algae on the skimmers. And, the water temp was 88 degrees when I got home yesterday.

With the amount of Jack's you threw in, I can't imagine why your staining would return just bumping FC up to 2ppm, that doesn't make sense to me. Just for giggles, can you post your full test results for pH, TA, FC, CYA, and CH too? I'm interested in pH and CH in particular. Just by chance, have you called Jack's and spoke with a rep to get their thoughts?

Can you re-check the color of both CuLator packets and what color they appear to be when you hold them up to the sky? Please check that today if you can.

Did you acid wash clean that metal band that showed all that staining? Just curious. Do you have any water features with your pool that it might be leeching iron from? Any rusted screws, lights, or rocks/coping that are underwater, etc.?

FWIW,
I wanted to share my white bucket test with you...

From 8:55am
Left Bucket: Filled from Well, and passed through 4 13x52 iron filters.
Right Bucket: Filled from Well, and passed through 4 13x52 iron filters and through dual tank Water Softener
20230628_085914.jpg

From 9:15am (20 mins later)
Left Bucket: Filled from Well, and passed through 4 13x52 iron filters, and 1TBS of 12.5% chlorine (mixed)
Right Bucket: Filled from Well, and passed through 4 13x52 iron filters and through dual tank Water Softener, and 1TBS of 12.5% chlorine (mixed)
20230628_090843.jpg

From 9:55am (1 hour later)
Left Bucket: Filled from Well, and passed through 4 13x52 iron filters, and 1TBS of 12.5% chlorine (mixed)
Right Bucket: Filled from Well, and passed through 4 13x52 iron filters and through dual tank Water Softener, and 1TBS of 12.5% chlorine (mixed)
20230628_095417.jpg

Note: FC is 23PPM in the 2nd and 3rd picture, and STILL no changing of the color in the bucket that was filled through my Soft Water system. (yes, 23PPM, I verified/tested)

I know it's not scientific but, anyone that wants to check for Iron in their fill/auto-fill water, can EASILY do this and not have to pay for testing (and we know LOTS of people "test' Iron at 0ppm even though they have iron in their pool!) So I feel this test is more accurate and basically costs *nothing* ... If anyone thinks this iron-test isn't valid please add your input, I'm no science wizard and plenty of smarter people on TFP than I am.

EDIT: Crud, I can't remember if it was 1TSP or 1TBS, just to note for others who try this. I'm thinking it was 1TSP!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mdragger88
With the amount of Jack's you threw in, I can't imagine why your staining would return just bumping FC up to 2ppm, that doesn't make sense to me. Just for giggles, can you post your full test results for pH, TA, FC, CYA, and CH too? I'm interested in pH and CH in particular. Just by chance, have you called Jack's and spoke with a rep to get their thoughts?

Can you re-check the color of both CuLator packets and what color they appear to be when you hold them up to the sky? Please check that today if you can.

Did you acid wash clean that metal band that showed all that staining? Just curious. Do you have any water features with your pool that it might be leeching iron from? Any rusted screws, lights, or rocks/coping that are underwater, etc.?
We didn’t clean the bands. I’ll get my husband to try that this weekend. I’m going to try the white bucket test today. And, I guess I’ll try reaching out to the Jacks guys. There’s no obvious iron contamination. I have a dolphin Triton that is in the pool most of the time. I added 6 oz of jacks this morning and it didn’t remove the stain.
CYA. 60
TA. 60
FC 1.5
PH 7.2
Salt 3400
I’m going to add some MA and jacks. These numbers are from this morning. I added about 6 oz of jacks. But, the stain is still there.

Let me know who you talk to at Jack's? I've talked to both Pete and Don in the past (talked to Don this morning as well).

FWIW, you could also consider (I know it sucks, cause there's a cost) buying Jack's Sequestrant Test which allows you to test the PPM level of your Jack's Purple Stuff. But I have to imagine with the amount your dosing, you're definitely above the PPM level you need to keep your metals sequestered? I'm confused why you are seeing staining all over again.

Can you share your CH reading? I'm really interested in seeing that. Your PH is excellent, keep it around there if you can... don't let it go above 7.4 or so if you can help it.

If AA treatments and Vitamin-C tablets lift/remove the stain, it has to be iron. I can't think of anything else unless other TFP'er can chime in? I supposed it could be copper but I -THINK- copper won't lift from AA treatments (I would need to double check that) -- someone else can confirm?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let me know who you talk to at Jack's? I've talked to both Pete and Don in the past (talked to Don this morning as well).

FWIW, you could also consider (I know it sucks, cause there's a cost) buying Jack's Sequestrant Test which allows you to test the PPM level of your Jack's Purple Stuff. But I have to imagine with the amount your dosing, you're definitely above the PPM level you need to keep your metals sequestered? I'm confused why you are seeing staining all over again.

Can you share your CH reading? I'm really interested in seeing that. Your PH is excellent, keep it around there if you can... don't let it go above 7.4 or so if you can help it.

If AA treatments and Vitamin-C tablets lift/remove the stain, it has to be iron. I can't think of anything else unless other TFP'er can chime in? I supposed it could be copper but I -THINK- copper won't lift from AA treatments (I would need to double check that) -- someone else can confirm?
I’ve never checked CH. I thought you didn’t have to check that with a vinyl liner. But, I’ll check it.

You normally don't, correct. I just want to verify it's not something crazy high which WOULD effect how well your sequestrant might work. Water can only hold/absorb so much stuff, and if your CH is off the charts, that will DEFINITELY affect your ability to sequester and keep from staining.

I’ve never checked CH. I thought you didn’t have to check that with a vinyl liner. But, I’ll check it.
You normally don't, correct. I just want to verify it's not something crazy high which WOULD effect how well your sequestrant might work. Water can only hold/absorb so much stuff, and if your CH is off the charts, that will DEFINITELY affect your ability to sequester and keep from staining.
CH is 70 ppm. I started my bucket test. I really wish I could figure out the source. I added some more sequestrant and the CUlater in the skimmer hasn’t changed color since I just put it in 4 days ago. I’m attaching a pic of the CUlater in the filter basket. It is quite impressive. But, I can’t get that basket opened without help. IMG_3065.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3066.jpeg
    IMG_3066.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 3
Unfortunately, that pic doesn't really help (at least for me, I'm a bit colorblind so makes it more difficult for me). I think ideally you want to take the CuLator out and hold it up to the sky (I would do this with BOTH of your CuLators and take a pic of each) so we could see the color the packet is? (you can probably leave the CuLator INSIDE the egg crate thing too when you do the pictures, but taking the egg thing apart might be better for a picture and its pretty easy, you just have to press and turn it (counter clockwise I believe).

Your CH is really low which, for you, is good. Some places have very hard water (700+ and I just wanted to make sure that wasn't you as that would definitely have an effect on your ability to sequester).

I’m going to try to get in touch with Jandy and see if I can get a replacement for the band.
Unfortunately, that pic doesn't really help (at least for me, I'm a bit colorblind so makes it more difficult for me). I think ideally you want to take the CuLator out and hold it up to the sky (I would do this with BOTH of your CuLators and take a pic of each) so we could see the color the packet is? (you can probably leave the CuLator INSIDE the egg crate thing too when you do the pictures, but taking the egg thing apart might be better for a picture and its pretty easy, you just have to press and turn it (counter clockwise I believe).

Your CH is really low which, for you, is good. Some places have very hard water (700+ and I just wanted to make sure that wasn't you as that would definitely have an effect on your ability to sequester).
I did find a replacement for the filter band. My white bucket water is still white after 5 hours. I feel like it’s got to be the filter band continuously adding rust. I’ll get the CUlater out and take another picture when we take the filter apart. I left a message at Jacks. Maybe I can keep the stains off until I can get to the bottom of this.

Attachments

• IMG_3063.jpeg
    IMG_3063.jpeg
    538.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: jesse-99
If that bucket is still clear as it was before you added the liquid chlorine, then I'd say your fill water is iron free. That's great news. Means you don't have to worry about battling iron from your fill water, so now it's a matter of figuring out where your current iron came from or is coming from, still. Starting with the filter ring is a good idea. Any other areas of concern in your pool? Metal ladders, light fixtures, rocks/boulders/coping that gets underwater or runoff rain water?

Reactions: Mdragger88
If that bucket is still clear as it was before you added the liquid chlorine, then I'd say your fill water is iron free. That's great news. Means you don't have to worry about battling iron from your fill water, so now it's a matter of figuring out where your current iron came from or is coming from, still. Starting with the filter ring is a good idea. Any other areas of concern in your pool? Metal ladders, light fixtures, rocks/boulders/coping that gets underwater or runoff rain water?
Not that I can identify. We took our ladder down last year because it was rusting. I didn’t even know iron in the water was a thing. But, it looked janky.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.