Learning to maintain my pool

trying to learn how to maintain my pool
my cya is at 100
drained 1/4 of the water and it is still high at 70
all the text are spot on except
I have 0 free chlorine and my TA is 160ppm
what do I need to do?
With no chlorine, you have no sanitation. It’s best to plan for the SLAM process to make sure the pool is clear before it gets warmer.

TA is likely from your fill water, and will work its way down naturally as you adjust pH using Muriatic acid.

I would continue to replace water until CYA is in the 30-40 range, commence a SLAM, then once clear, make sure your FC never falls below minimum.

Let us know if you have any questions - all of the above topics covered extensively in Pool School!

trying to learn how to maintain my pool
my cya is at 100
drained 1/4 of the water and it is still high at 70
all the text are spot on except
I have 0 free chlorine and my TA is 160ppm
what do I need to do?
Welcome to TFP!!! :swim:

How are you testing your water?

I have a inground gunite pool 30,000 water
using a Taylor test kit 2005C I’m getting a little better
my water is clear and no algea
according to the wheel my Saturation is 0.2
cya 50 working it down from 100 still need to get to 30
FC 2
TC 2
CC0
PH 8.0
TA 100ppm
cH 120ppm
should I add muriatic acid
so I’m going to add 1 gallon liquid chlorine
I need to get my hardness up so how much sodium chloride (salt) do I add

First, I would add a FAS-DPD kit. This is a drop test for chlorine. You really need this to accurately manage your pool. Taylor K-1515C or TFTEST kits FAS-DPD

You need to get your FC up significantly. As MITBETA indicated, follow the FC/CYA levels link.

Yes, you should reduce your pH. Reduce it by .4 to 7.6. Do you have pool math? Use it to calculate how much. Link-->PoolMath

Leave your TA right where it is. I would read this...Link-->Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.