Just received my new Taylor K-2006C - Please tell me how my pool looks.

Thank you pooldv

I will be buying a bag of conditioner tomorrow after work. I already added liquid chlorine in per pool math an hour ago. I will be checking in a few minutes to see where it is at. I had already put 8lbs of conditioner in the pool when it was first turned up a few months back.

If I am reading it correct I will need to add 2 lbs 8 oz of conditioner per pool math.

As for bleach I have looked at the stores and at +/-$4.00 it is about the same as chlorine is it not? Where are people buying bleach where it is noticeably cheaper? I like the BBB method and will use it as needed. I have already used A&H Baking Soda for my TA, that worked great and was WAY cheaper than Leslies Alk UP.

The salt cell will give an error if there is low salt.

eostrike,
Raising CYA up to 70-80 will reduce your FC loss to the sun and therefore your daily FC consumption. The difference will be noticeable and it is worth doing. Bleach/liquid chlorine is the same thing just different percentages, bleach 6-8.25%, LC 10-12%

If it were me, I'd run the IC40 SWG at 100% for 13 hrs for now, in your size pool. Then if FC climbed higher than 6, I would reduce the pump and SWG run time. I would let the SWG run when the pool cleaner is running.

I'm mainly posting because I notice you're concerned about running cost with the VS pump. At 2100 RPM, you're saving around half the pumping cost per hour vs. running a single-speed pump of similar full-speed capability. Also, there are some simple possible problems that the experts here may be able to diagnose so you can satisfy the SWG flow sensor at a bit lower RPM and save more $. If your pool builder is an accommodating sort of person, maybe you could talk him into swapping out the IC40 (and using it on one of his other builds) and putting in an IC60, and you could save even more $ on pumping.

So according to pool math I should have needed around 8.8 oz (1.1 cu) of chlorine to get me from 3 to 5 for my FC. I had the pool pump on for a little more than an hour and it raised it to 4.5 for my FC. Sadly I put in 3 cups of chlorine so maybe the Home Depot brand sucks. When using pool math I left it at the default for the chlorine type as I was not sure what type I had.

I appreciate the reply. I don't remember saying I was worried about cost. Someone else said "No energy savings there". I thought they meant I was running it too long so I next stated what my schedules are and the RPM's needed to satisfy the SWG.

Since I am new to owning a pool are you saying that running at 2100 RPM is COST savings compared to a single speed pump? Never had one before so I have no clue.

I am going to increase the run time right now starting tomorrow morning.

I have not seen a way to engage the SWG when the pool is in cleaning mode. It is just in the schedule of the Easytouch control system.

If it were me, I'd run the IC40 SWG at 100% for 13 hrs for now, in your size pool. Then if FC climbed higher than 6, I would reduce the pump and SWG run time. I would let the SWG run when the pool cleaner is running.

I'm mainly posting because I notice you're concerned about running cost with the VS pump. At 2100 RPM, you're saving around half the pumping cost per hour vs. running a single-speed pump of similar full-speed capability. Also, there are some simple possible problems that the experts here may be able to diagnose so you can satisfy the SWG flow sensor at a bit lower RPM and save more $. If your pool builder is an accommodating sort of person, maybe you could talk him into swapping out the IC40 (and using it on one of his other builds) and putting in an IC60, and you could save even more $ on pumping.

I just turned on my pump at 2100 RPM and the control system says 485 watts.

I am going to turn my SWG to 100% to see if it keeps up with the demand and monitor daily. I will report back what I see.

In the meantime I am also going to adjust my runtime schedules. Let me know if this looks good or should it be longer.

4:00 AM to 6:00 (2 Hours) for the pool cleaner (SWG does not come on when cleaning)
6:00 AM to 4:00 PM (10 hours) for the pool circulation (SWG will be on)
4:00 PM to 4:30 PM (.5 hour) for the spillway from spa to pool (SWG will be on)

Total runtime 12.5 hours. Would this be a good start from my original 9.5 hour runtime?

Yes, running the Intelliflo at 2100 RPM should use 700 or 800 watts right? A 2hp single speed pump would use more than double that.

I would LOVE to lower the pump speed down more and keep it on even longer but then the SWG will not generate chlorine. To me it makes no sense why to have a variable speed pump if I can not run it slower.

Sorry, my mistake making the leap to cost. I could and should have just said you're doing well and already running it a lot slower by running at 2100 RPM, and I think the experts here can get it lower yet.

Yes, that schedule looks good. 485 watts, even better! A single speed 2 hp pump uses 2000 to 2400 watts.

Does your cleaner need to run that much? I used to only run mine 2-3 hours a week. Then it made me mad, got thrown in the yard, hailed on, broken and hasn't worked in a month! LOL! I just net leaves/snails every day or two and brush to the bottom drain once or twice a week now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry, my mistake making the leap to cost. I could and should have just said you're doing well and already running it a lot slower by running at 2100 RPM, and I think the experts here can get it lower yet.

No need to be sorry, you are all helping me out. In time I will be as good as you all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, that schedule looks good. 485 watts, even better! A single speed 2 hp pump uses 2000 to 2400 watts.

Does your cleaner need to run that much? I used to only run mine 2-3 hours a week. Then it made me mad, got thrown in the yard, hailed on, broken and hasn't worked in a month! LOL! I just net leaves/snails every day or two and brush to the bottom drain once or twice a week now.

Wow 2000 to 2400 watts, I had no clue!

To be honest I probably don't need to run the cleaner daily. Ever since the pool opened I hardly ever get big debris in the skimmer baskets yet alone the pump basket. Currently not much falls in the pool.

What are your thoughts maybe run the cleaner 2 or 3 times a week and shift the off time to the pool runtime?

I was not sure if I needed the cleaner daily.

Again you are the pros. I am learning from your experiences. I will set cleaner to what ever makes more sense.

Maybe move it to 1 hour daily and see how that goes. I don't know how easy it is to program the ET for a few days a week.

Okay I will do just that. The Easytouch is EASY to setup, I can pick any or all days of the week.

I changed my program (runtimes) to go longer and less on the cleaner. I also just added 2.5lbs of conditioner per pool math to get from 60 to 70 on my CYA. I will retest CYA next week. I also have my SWG at 100% now and will monitor it. I think I want to be in the 5 or 6 range.

Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it.

My SWG is always on except for when the pool cleaner is going. When that program is running the SWG has no lights on.

Sorry I didn't make that clear! I meant that i was puzzled you were running the pump without the swg despite needing more chlorine production.

pooldv - Below was the schedule that I changed last night but I decided to lessen my pool cleaner and will change it yet again. I am trying to get more runtime with the SWG and less on the pool vacuum since my pool hardly gets dirty. I can always adjust it again if this is the wrong thing to do.

What I had last night:

Schedule is everyday:

4:00 AM to 6:00 (2 Hours) for the pool cleaner (SWG does not come on when cleaning)
6:00 AM to 4:00 PM (10 hours) for the pool circulation (SWG will be on)
4:00 PM to 4:30 PM (.5 hour) for the spillway from spa to pool (SWG will be on)
Total runtime 12.5 hours. Original 9.5 hour runtime.

Changed to:

Schedule is everyday:

4:00 AM to 3:30 PM (11.5 hours) for the pool circulation (SWG will be on)
3:30 PM to 4:00 PM (.5 hour) for the spillway from spa to pool (SWG will be on)

Monday - Wednesday - Friday 3:00 AM - 4:00 AM (1 Hour) for the pool cleaner (SWG does not come on when cleaning)

This will give me a lot more runtime on for the SWG.

Just tested FC and CC only as everything else was fine. Today I went from FC 4.5/CC 0 to FC 5.5/CC 0 running the pump longer at 100% on the SWG. So it has gone up. I will monitor daily and will retest CYA next week as I just put 2.5lbs of conditioner in this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.