Just received my new Taylor K-2006C - Please tell me how my pool looks.

Only clean it if there is calcium build up in the cell. No need to clean it otherwise. The acid will just shorten the life of the cell.
+1

I'm no expert, but if it was my pool, I'd pour in a half-gallon of bleach and also set the SWC to 100%. Assuming it's been set all along in the controller to run all the same hours that the pump does, 10.5 hours on the IC40 will produce about 2.5 ppm in the 30,000 gal pool, so there's little risk of FC getting uncomfortably high. If FC drops significantly, then I'd re-assess.

Update as of 7:00 AM - I just tested my chlorine this morning to see if it dropped from last night. Nothing changed for the FC.

FC - 3.5
CC - .5

I will leave everything as it is and see what the FC level is when I get home after 4:30 PM today. If it does not change from here I will raise my SWG to 80% and see if that boosts the level of FC over the next few days.

The SWG is attached to a Pentair Easytouch so it turns on when the pool pump is running and will go through its on/off cycle based on the percentage set. Currently it has been set at 60% for about 2 months now. My PB originally had it at 80% but when I read the manual it mentioned to start it at 80% then turn it down to 60% when the chlorine levels are normal IIRC.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

Not likely.

+1

I'm no expert, but if it was my pool, I'd pour in a half-gallon of bleach and also set the SWC to 100%. Assuming it's been set all along in the controller to run all the same hours that the pump does, 10.5 hours on the IC40 will produce about 2.5 ppm in the 30,000 gal pool, so there's little risk of FC getting uncomfortably high. If FC drops significantly, then I'd re-assess.

Okay I just tested the chlorine again at 4:15 PM and it is looking better.

FC - 4
CC - 0

Since the chlorine did not go down I turned up the SWG from 60% to 80%. I will see how that goes over the next few days. Maybe just maybe 80% is needed for the size of the pool. Just guessing :).

Lol Richard, I better not have a green pool after it was just built 2 months ago. Since I am new at this I am testing often. If I ever have any big problems I will ask if I can utilize your services since you are local :). In the meantime I am going to learn everything I can from this awesome forum!

The fact that it's catching up is definitely encouraging. I expected your next update to be "My pool is green." Seriously.

I believe my chlorine from Leslie's is 10%. I will keep it handy for sure, thanks.

I originally thought owning a SWG that we would not need to add chlorine. Thought that was one of the purposes of a SWG.

Keep a couple of jugs of shock 12% just in case ;)

I believe my chlorine from Leslie's is 10%. I will keep it handy for sure, thanks.

I originally thought owning a SWG that we would not need to add chlorine. Thought that was one of the purposes of a SWG.
A SWG can't raise the FC very fast. But if someone has an accident in the pool, you want a lot of FC right now. What if the SWG starts flashing error messages? The power goes out for some reason? Or if you're having a bunch of people over. Sunscreen and dirty kids will decimate the FC. Most of us raise FC a couple points before company arrives, and hit it hard again as soon as they leave. That''s what the bleach is for. If you don't need it, save it for laundry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A SWG can't raise the FC very fast. But if someone has an accident in the pool, you want a lot of FC right now. What if the SWG starts flashing error messages? The power goes out for some reason? Or if you're having a bunch of people over. Sunscreen and dirty kids will decimate the FC. Most of us raise FC a couple points before company arrives, and hit it hard again as soon as they leave. That''s what the bleach is for. If you don't need it, save it for laundry.

This is great information Richard. This makes even more sense as we had our first pool party with about 25 people on Sunday. It was after that I noticed my FC a lot lower than normal. Prior to that it has only been me and my two kids in the pool once in a while since it was filled.

I had no idea that we would need to add chlorine from time to time. I only had some left over from when the pool was first filled before the SWG got turned on. I guess I will need to buy some more chlorine/bleach. I will be doing the BBB method so I will price compare bleach vs chlorine this weekend.

Last month ago I used baking soda from the pool section at Walmart to raise my alkalinity. Originally Leslie's sold me alkaline up for $28.99 plus tax. Only raised it 20ppm. The next weekend they tried to sell me another bag as it was still low. I said forget it and bought the baking soda which I learned from this site. That baking soda was more in pounds and less than $8.00 from Walmart, that baking soda did the trick. Those pool houses are ripoffs!

I don't buy much chlorinating liquid, but my SWG has about the same output as yours and my pool is 12,000 gallons. At 10.5 hours per day, I still think 100% is a good setting for the IC40 taking care of 33,000 gallons, particularly at the beginning of the season.

It's important to be near target FC, and never ever fall below minimum. If my last 3 CYA readings were 70, 75 and 75, I would call it 80. So the previously mentioned target of FC 5 would be the lowest number to shoot for, 6 would be better, and anything below 4 would be ringing alarm bells for me.

I don't buy much chlorinating liquid, but my SWG has about the same output as yours and my pool is 12,000 gallons. At 10.5 hours per day, I still think 100% is a good setting for the IC40 taking care of 33,000 gallons, particularly at the beginning of the season.

It's important to be near target FC, and never ever fall below minimum. If my last 3 CYA readings were 70, 75 and 75, I would call it 80. So the previously mentioned target of FC 5 would be the lowest number to shoot for, 6 would be better, and anything below 4 would be ringing alarm bells for me.

Thank you.

Is this strange or normal.

So I turned my SWG up from 60% to 80% last night. It would have had it full cycle today at 80%. I understand that I have a large volume of water so it could take a few days to increase my FC however checking today and it is now back down. Yesterday it was finally reading 4 and today it is back to where it was before.

FC 3.5
CC 0

I am puzzled.

Okay I just tested the chlorine again at 4:15 PM and it is looking better.

FC - 4
CC - 0

Since the chlorine did not go down I turned up the SWG from 60% to 80%. I will see how that goes over the next few days. Maybe just maybe 80% is needed for the size of the pool. Just guessing :).

Okay so I think my not even three month pool has an issue. Not too sure as I have been monitoring it almost daily. The exception is that I was only using strips up until 3 maybe 4 weeks ago when I bought a Pool Master 5N1 kit. Less than 2 weeks ago I got a Taylor 2006C kit which slightly yields different results than the Pool Master kit.

I am not sure if this would count for the OCLT test but yesterdays test at 4:00 PM with the pump off I was had FC 3.5 and CC 0 and this morning at 6:30 AM (Vacuum is on) it has gone down even more.

I did two FC/CC tests just to make sure.

Test 1

FC - 2.8
CC - .4

Test 2

FC - 2.5
CC - .5

Now this has me concerned,,, we are having a swim party tomorrow at 1:00 PM so can someone help me with what I may need to do? Can I just add more chlorine until everyone goes home tomorrow or do I need to tell people they cannot go in the pool.

Strange enough the water is crystal clear, it does not feel slimy in any way and this is a brand new pool. Since I have a SWG I am not sure how a problem may have even started as it should have been keeping up the chlorine.

Wife wants me to go to Leslie's this morning when they open but I already know I would walk away spending another $100 plus dollars.

Is this strange or normal.

So I turned my SWG up from 60% to 80% last night. It would have had it full cycle today at 80%. I understand that I have a large volume of water so it could take a few days to increase my FC however checking today and it is now back down. Yesterday it was finally reading 4 and today it is back to where it was before.

FC 3.5
CC 0

I am puzzled.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.