Just opened first pool tests done, now what?

Yes, if you added enough CYA to raise to 40, go ahead and SLAM at FC=16.

Ignore CC until the end. Will save reagents. Typically, OCLT first, Clear pool is second and CC last.

So wait...I added enough stabilizer to, supposedly, raise my CYA levels to around 40. So 10ppm of FC isn't the goal, I'm aiming for 16 per the FC/CYA SLAM chart, right?
Yep, the 10ppm is the minimum SLAM level for any CYA level, that’s why I referenced it since I didn’t know what your CYA actually was.

Great thank you. I should mention - the pool is clear. No green or cloudiness.
That’s a good sign. You can to an OCLT to verify nothing is consuming chlorine and then decide to keep the levels raised all the way up while you finish scooping out all the junk or let it drop a bit. With all that stuff in there I’d at least keep it elevated since the picture makes it look pretty green. Take a look at the TFP clear pools thread to compare your with to get an idea.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm curious - am I following SLAM procedure because of the near absence of chlorine on initial test or is this just good practice for opening?
Because you added chlorine and 40 minutes later had next to none. And your water is not clear until all that junk is gone.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
That’s a good sign. You can to an OCLT to verify nothing is consuming chlorine and then decide to keep the levels raised all the way up while you finish scooping out all the junk or let it drop a bit. With all that stuff in there I’d at least keep it elevated since the picture makes it look pretty green. Take a look at the TFP clear pools thread to compare your with to get an idea.
I think the photo I posted was a little misleading. I took that at night. Here is current photo for clarity.

Attachments

• PXL_20220417_104701542.jpg
    PXL_20220417_104701542.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 22
Looking better. So a 1.5 FC loss overnight? What is your water temperature?

Yeah about that. I added more chlorine and waited an hour, also did some cleaning. We are now at around 16 FC, sun just reaching the pool. Not adding more but will monitor as much as I can. Little to no CC.

Water temp is around 55. Temp dropped here today after a few nice days.

Because you added chlorine and 40 minutes later had next to none. And your water is not clear until all that junk is gone.
Gotcha, thank you. Working on the junk. Lot of it just breaks up into fine particles which are hopefully getting to the filter. I still need to open that up and check condition of the filter but for now I am assuming it's more important to keep pump running and keep levels maintained. Pool will be fully cleaned tomorrow morning but I'm still going to keep at it when I can (holiday + baby)

Reactions: MITBeta and Bperry
Tested again. FC down to 11.5. No CC. I'm assuming I should be worried about that drop.

I did alot of cleaning so that did kick up a bunch of particles and the sun is out. I don't know if it's factor at all but very windy.

Will get FC back up to 16 with chlorine dump.

I'm assuming I should be worried about that drop.
A slam is not a worry, just a process. If the sun is out, it will consume some of the FC. Don't worry about CC, I wouldn't test it again until OCLT passes and pool is clear, then test CC.

Keep the process up, do your last chlorine add an hour before sundown, test FC after sundown. Test FC in the morning before sunrise for your OCLT. See what happens.

If you can test and add every two hours it will help it go faster.

A slam is not a worry, just a process. If the sun is out, it will consume some of the FC. Don't worry about CC, I wouldn't test it again until OCLT passes and pool is clear, then test CC.

Keep the process up, do your last chlorine add an hour before sundown, test FC after sundown. Test FC in the morning before sunrise for your OCLT. See what happens.

If you can test and add every two hours it will help it go faster.

Not a problem. I also found the working extendable pole so I'm getting alot more junk out.

Frankly, the water looks good, in my opinion, aside from the junk. But I know from reading here that can change in a flash.

I know I'm not supposed to worry about CC right now, so I assume I don't need to worry about CYA either? I am slamming based on the target CYA level I added stabilizer in order to reach.

Reactions: PoolStored
Anything 0.5 ppm or less is okay. Don't knock yourself out trying for zero because some pools *never* get to zero.

So when do the folks come vac your pool? Tomorrow?

Your pic shows a pool that is ideal for a robot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.