IntelliFlo VS-3050 Pool Pump stopped with error light blinking

Brant,

I can't tell if the "black" is from the bad bearing or from the coil... :scratch:

I'd clean it all up.. If you can't see actual damage to the coil, then I'd get the front bearing replaced.

I can't remember the exact place, but there are plenty of shops that sell bearings.. They can look at what you have and tell you what you need.

I suspect you whole pump is quite old, so Allen is right that a new pump makes the most logical choice, but that might not be the most economical choice.

The New IntelliFlo3 is not a drop in replacement for what you have. A standard IntelliFlo would be.. I "assume' your automation system is still working for pump control, if so, then both the IntelliFlo3, and the standard IntelliFlo, can be controlled by your current automation.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you Jim. I'll clean it up and replace the bearing first.
Correct, my automation is still working. The current plumping has the hand screw-on type union nuts, on both connecting points and also at the filter connecting point, which will make it easier to adjust. I'm comfortable with making further adjustments to the plumping to fit if needed (knock on wood).
Out of the pump options, what's recommended or what's the difference? Do I need a 3HP since that's what I'm replacing?

- Intelliflo3 (seems like the latest/greatest, true?) - assuming I do not need the relay board or touchscreen if my automation stays the same?
- Intelliflo VS (multiple options) - is this the new version of my VS-3050?
- VS-3050 (I think this is discontinued and expensive), but a direct replacement. Why buy this over the Intelliflo3 or other that are less?
- Whisperflo - too many options to list
- Intelliflo FX - Also variable speed, similar price
- Pentair Trade Grade products?

The choices are overwhelming and a bit confusing, so hoping for direction on a specific model or two and why.

Thanks!

Brant,

The IntelliFlo3 is not a direct replacement for the regular IntelliFlo. It has a different plumbing lay out.. It is a great pump and has a deeper and bigger basket.

If you have unions, that connect to your current pump, then installing a regular IntelliFlo, means you can use your current plumbing and you will just have to connect the 240 VAC and the control cable. The regular IntelliFlo also has a display, which I would want...

If I were in your shoes, I would get the P/N 011056.

If you want to do a little plumbing work, then the IntelliFlo3 would work for you. It does have an app that you can use to control the pump, but using it seems silly, as you have an automation system. You would not need a relay card.

You do not have to get a 3 HP pump, but... the bigger the pump the slower you can run it and still move a lot of water. I run mine, 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM, for less than $20 bucks a month.

Just for ref... I have three IntelliFlo pump that have been running 24/7 for about the last 10 years.. They all work today just like they did when they were installed. I hope they last another 10 years, but even if they all went bad tomorrow, I have already gotten my moneys worth out of them.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Brant,

The IntelliFlo3 is not a direct replacement for the regular IntelliFlo. It has a different plumbing lay out.. It is a great pump and has a deeper and bigger basket.

If you have unions, that connect to your current pump, then installing a regular IntelliFlo, means you can use your current plumbing and you will just have to connect the 240 VAC and the control cable. The regular IntelliFlo also has a display, which I would want...

If you want to do a little plumbing work, then the IntelliFlo3 would work for you. It does have an app that you can use to control the pump, but using it seems silly, as you have an automation system. You would not need a relay card.

You do not have to get a 3 HP pump, but... the bigger the pump the slower you can run it and still move a lot of water. I run mine, 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM, for less than $20 bucks a month.

Just for ref... I have three IntelliFlo pump that have been running 24/7 for about the last 10 years.. They all work today just like they did when they were installed. I hope they last another 10 years, but even if they all went bad tomorrow, I have already gotten my moneys worth out of them.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,

Thank you for the advice - this really helps! This is what I needed - a specific part number so I don't drive myself crazy :).

I agree, on IntelliFlo. The pump I'm replacing is about 12-14 years old and who knows, it might still work if I clean it up and fix the bearing. Given the age and time/money investment to try and fix the current pump, I'm going with your recommendation.

I also appreciate the advice on running the pumps on low. I'll be changing my schedule from 8-10 hrs a day on high to 24 hrs on low.

THANK YOU again and now for the clean up and install.

Brandt

Brant,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim - One more question. Polytecpools did have the best price, but they are out of stock. I put myself on the list. The cheapest otherwise I found is Amazon for $2100 ($2272 after tax).

Any experience buying off eBay? The seller has 1000's of positive reviews on pumps and it's eligible for the Allstate protection plan (Costco uses them for TV/Computers). Refurb, 2 yrs is $239 and they replace or reimburse the replacement cost (100%). I know people who have used it and they say it's hassle-free.
eBay Pump details: 2021 rebuilt pump for $1245 + $239 = $1484 ($1645 after tax). $627 savings. If there's no downside feedback, I guess I could be the guinea pig and let everyone else know my experience.
Thanks again!

Update: Polytec called me and said 011056 is discontinued and the direct replacement is 011028. He siad the only difference is that you used to be able to program it two ways (GPM or RPM) and the new version is only one option, but virtually the same otherwise. Assuming there's no negative feedback on that pump, I'll order that unit.
Again, thank you for all the help! This site is a god send for any pool owner.
Brandt

Thank you again for saving my pool! I bought the pump, installed it, and it is back up and running!

I have one more question: I have driven myself crazy trying to figure this out alone and finally just did a workaround, but I know it's not correct.

Programming the pump: I have an old CompPool LX3600 automation system. I believe it's been doing all the scheduling in the past. What settings do I need to put the pump on to let it control the pump?

My current workaround: Programed the Compool automation to run "Pool" 24 hours a day and programmed the schedule on the pump to run 24 hrs a day (I know this is obviously wrong because my cleaner needs to run and the automated valves stay open (if the pump were to turn off, the water would drain out of my spa because the automation leaves all the valves open thinking the pump is still running 24 hrs a day). I'm sure there would be issues with my heater as well if I kept it this way.

I'm sure this is simple and there's a simple setting on the pump to let it be controlled by the power, but I can't figure it out (feeling really stupid for asking).

Thank you!

Did you install the cable for the RS485 connection from the pump to the automation? The pump display should show Display Not Active when properly connected.

Did you install the cable for the RS485 connection from the pump to the automation? The pump display should show Display Not Active when properly connected.

The Compool LX-3600 does not have RS-485 support.

Really it is time for that old Compool system to be upgraded to an EasyTouch if an upgrade kit can be found or an IntelliCenter Lite system.

Compool Upgrade to EasyTouch by Pentair Model 521107 will to change a Compool system into an EasyTouch.

Attached is the Compool LX-3600 manual.

Attachments

• Compool CP3600 Pool-Spa Control System Manual.pdf
    607.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: mknauss
Correct, there's nothing to connect.

In the short term, other than replacing the automation system, is there a setting on the pump to let the system control it? I heard this new pump would be a direct swap for the old one. Just not sure how to program it to that setting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.