I got my TFTestKit. Now what?

drsteven23

Jul 1, 2023
Houston
My pool is looking at me asking me what’s next?
Are there videos on what to do daily & weekly? I read through the laminated sheet that came with the kit along with the the other inserts. I have a mixed saltwater/ chlorine pool. Where do I find acceptable ranges for my type of pool? Is there a forum specifically for this? Sorry, newbie questions. I appreciate any direction!

IMG_7678.jpeg

I have a mixed saltwater/ chlorine pool
Steven,

Just to be clear, all saltwater pools are chlorine pools. The Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) just uses the salt in the pool water to make the chlorine (FC) that your pool will use each day.

Check out our Pool School. Pool Care Basics Archives

You should run a set of tests and report back with our findings and we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Like this...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temp.

Thanks,

Jim R.

have you read this if not start here.

Pool Water Chemistry​

Also you do want the get the Pool Math app and input you pool information ( the paid version is the one you want about $10.00 bucks I think) this is where you will enter your test results numbers and the app will give your proper operational ranges.

Are there videos on what to do daily & weekly? I read through the laminated sheet that came with the kit along with the the other inserts.
Here is a basic pool care schedule:
I have a mixed saltwater/ chlorine pool. Where do I find acceptable ranges for my type of pool?
and
Link-->>FC/CYA Levels
AND
Pool Math Link-->>PoolMath
Is there a forum specifically for this? Sorry, newbie questions. I appreciate any direction!
Yes.

Reactions: PoolStored
Hi! Thank you! My kit did not have this bottle labeled. Is this the R-0871 solution?

Steven,

Just to be clear, all saltwater pools are chlorine pools. The Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) just uses the salt in the pool water to make the chlorine (FC) that your pool will use each day.

You should run a set of tests and report back with our findings and we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Like this...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temp.

Thanks,

Jim R.
IMG_7689.jpeg

Steven,

Like this...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temp.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim:

Here's what I have so far:
Like this...

FC= 1.5
CC= 0.5
pH= 7.5
TA= 70
CH= 350
CYA= 0??
Salt= 3600
Water temp.= 93 degrees

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would add 30ppm of Chlorine Stabilizer. Use pool math to figure out how much (Link-->PoolMath) Add it using the sock method.

Use this tool...Link-->FC/CYA Levels to determine how much FC you need to target for 30ppm in a salt pool. Once the sock is IN the pool (not when it is disolved), raise your FC to the top of the recommended range with liquid chlorine and adjust the amount of time you run your pump and % output on the SWCG to maintain your FC at the high end of the range. Pool math will help you with how much FC run time and your SWCG will add.

When you get the hang of it and you are in control, then I would raise your CYA to 60 and do the same thing. When you have control at 60, then I'd go to 70. Every time you raise CYA, use the FC/CYA tool and target the higher FC associated with the CYA you are adding when the sock hits the pool. Raise with Liquid, maintain with SWCG.

It may take 24-48 hours for your CYA addition to show up in the test. Sometimes even 3-4 days. Don't go add more quickly when it doesn't show on test after 24 hours.

All your other numbers look great!

Steven,

It looks like you have a SWCG.. If so, in Houston, with no CYA your FC (Chlorine) will last about a micro-second... :mrgreen:

How long do you run your pump/SWCG each day???

Your CYA should really be up at about 70 with a SWCG. But... for now, just add enough to get it up to about 30 ppm.. I'd add 48 oz. of dry CYA using our "sock" method..

I also suggest that you add enough Liquid Chlorine to get your FC up to about 4 ppm for now. I'd add half a gallon of 10% LC

All your other numbers look just fine.

Do that and we can go from there.

Note.. It appears you have a pressure side cleaner.. See your other post about robots.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Steven,

It looks like you have a SWCG.. If so, in Houston, with no CYA your FC (Chlorine) will last about a micro-second... :mrgreen:

How long do you run your pump/SWCG each day???

Your CYA should really be up at about 70 with a SWCG. But... for now, just add enough to get it up to about 30 ppm.. I'd add 48 oz. of dry CYA using our "sock" method..

I also suggest that you add enough Liquid Chlorine to get your FC up to about 4 ppm for now. I'd add half a gallon of 10% LC

All your other numbers look just fine.

Do that and we can go from there.

Note.. It appears you have a pressure side cleaner.. See your other post about robots.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you Jim. Very helpful. Yes, we have a Saltwater pool & pressure side cleaner.

Raise your FC to 5 ppm without delay. Test in an hour or so and report your results.

Next, raise your CYA to 50 ppm. Measure carefully and assume it's in there. Test CYA 48 hours later but put it in right after FC

Keep reading and asking questions.

pH, TA, TA, CH, and CC are all fine......do nothing

Last edited:
Oh we run the pump about 6 hours a day
Steven,

With a SWCG, 6 hours is not very long for 15K pool. :scratch:

A SWCG, has to run long enough to make the chlorine your pool uses each day.

We need to know what brand SWCG you have, and what "size" pool it is rated for?? What output is your SWCG currently set to produce??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Raise your FC to 5 ppm without delay. Test in an hour or so and report your results.

Next, raise your CYA to 50 ppm. Measure carefully and assume it's in there. Test CYA 48 hours later but put it in right after FC

Keep reading and asking questions.

pH, TA, TA, CH, and CC are all fine......do nothing
Ok going to store today. Is Leslie’s Pool a decent place to buy products? Thank you!!

Steven,

With a SWCG, 6 hours is not very long for 15K pool. :scratch:

A SWCG, has to run long enough to make the chlorine your pool uses each day.

We need to know what brand SWCG you have, and what "size" pool it is rated for?? What output is your SWCG currently set to produce??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Let me know if this what you are asking for: I have a Pentair 3500-4500, Intellichlor salt chlorine generator model IC40.

Thank you again. Sf

Your SWG produces about .45 FC per hour at 100%. 6 hours is 2.8 FC per day and likely too little for Houston this time of year.

Click 'effects of adding' in the upper left menu of poolmath. Type in 1.4 (lbs chlorine) in the 24 hour output and you can play with runtime and % to see the results at the bottom.

I consider 'low target' as my minimum that I never want to get near.

swcg_chart.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.