How much chlorine to use

Jul 28, 2013
This website is a bit confusing. I’m a long time pool owner. I’ve always used tablets and granular shock. MyCYA is at 66. I’m afraid that it will get worse if I continue to use the tablets. My question is how question is how much liquid chlorine do I need to use to keep my free chlorine levels up enough to keep my pool properly sanitized. I know it should be based on my pool size and FC readings. I can’t seem to find that information

Well hello there! So glad you posted! I can help you with this! Take a look at this: PoolMath This will do all of the work for you!

Do you have a good test kit yet? Here are the ones we use:Test Kits Compared

I hope you find this helpful. If you have any questions PLEASE make sure to ask them. We were all where you are now in the beginning! :hug:

Kim :kim:

Tablets and powdered shock are not sustainable long term. They raise your CYA or CH along with the FC.

The more CYA you have, the more FC you need to sanitize at the same level.

Screenshot_20230304_131304_Chrome.jpg

The whole operation hinges on an accurate CYA and FC level. The other parameters need to be trusty also, but won't gift you a swamp in the short term.

When you're looking at the kits it's as confusing as anything else the first time. The TFPro from Tftestkits.net includes a $48 stirring device for the same cost of a K2006c. It also has a really nice case. Don't be fooled by the larger supplies in the K2006C, you won't be testing those ones often and they will go to waste when they expire.

Get a reliable test kit and post up the results. We'll show you how to do it on the cheap and easy, with spectacular results.

How Clear is TFP Clear?

Reactions: Bperry
I finally received my taylor 2006 test kit. Here are my readings.
FC = 11
CC= 1
PH = 8
ALK= 150
CH = 370
CYA =85. ( a week ago the pool store tested 63, I’ve only added shock Calhypo and liquid chlorine.since that reading)
24 hours before this testing I added 1 Lb of Cal Hypo shock. . I opened it 2 weeks ago it was dark green I used yellow out shocked and clarifier and ran the filter for several days straight. now it is clear but,no one has been swimming yet

Hi and welcome! For CYA readings, you can't interpret between the lines so round up to 90. Pool store readings are notoriously bad and unreliable. The CYA can be the hardest for people to get right as it's somewhat subjective but I would trust your reading of 90 with the prior use of tabs. A CYA of 90 is pretty high and will require a lot of liquid chlorine to keep your FC correct. Your minimum is 7 and the target is 10-12. Our first season with our pool we survived with high CYA but it was rough. You may want to consider draining and replacing some of your water (probably about 1/2) or you can a no-drain exchange depending on your pool type and location.

For CYA that high, you should run a diluted test just to be sure.

For CYA > 90ppm, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:

Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark (15 ml line) with pool water.
Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark (30 ml line) with tap water.
Shake briefly to mix.
Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark (15 ml line).
Continue the test normally from adding R-0013, but multiply the final result by two.
If you need to dilute the pool water further then apply these ratios:[7]

Pool water Tap or distilled water Multiply result by
1 1 2
1 2 3
1 4 5
Note that when doing a diluted test not only do you multiply the range of the test you multiply the error rate of the test, so results are a ballpark - no t an absolute.

Try to stick with liquid chlorine, cal hypo adds calcium to your water as your CH reading is indicating. If your CYA is very high and it sounds like it is you may want to consider dumping some of your water and refilling. This should do 2 things - lower your CYA and if your tap water is low in calcium it will lower your CH as well. Do not use anything else in your pool other than chlorine, preferably liquid chlorine. You can use bleach as well but make sure it is just plain regular bleach ... I just want to warn you that plain old bleach is getting more difficult to find, they are putting other things in bleach these days.

It gets easier as you get used to the TFP way!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.