how much chlorine to add after a soak

This might be useful:

Basically, you operate a hot tub similar to pool if the hot tub is using chlorine as the primary sanitation.

Reactions: Newdude
You will need to let your testing before & after each use be your guide. A 30 min 1 person soak session will have a different demand than a 2 person hour long soak. Each tub is also different.
My fc demand will not be the same as yours.
You want to have enough fc to begin with to make it through the session without falling below minimum for your cya & then therafter you need enough fc to make it until the next time you check the tub (standby demand)
FC/CYA Levels
For most folks that means starting out somewhere around the high target or a scootch higher depending upon the bather load.
More bather load = more chlorine.
Use
PoolMath to calculate amounts.

Reactions: Newdude
You will need to let your testing before & after each use be your guide. A 30 min 1 person soak session will have a different demand than a 2 person hour long soak. Each tub is also different.
My fc demand will not be the same as yours.
You want to have enough fc to begin with to make it through the session without falling below minimum for your cya & then therafter you need enough fc to make it until the next time you check the tub (standby demand)
FC/CYA Levels
For most folks that means starting out somewhere around the high target or a scootch higher depending upon the bather load.
More bather load = more chlorine.
Use
PoolMath to calculate amounts.
I have a 190 gal. spa. My CYA is 30. If I start a soak at 4ppm and I get out after 1 hr., how much liqud chlorine do you think I should put in?

You and your suit will have varying levels of residual soaps / detergents. This time you might sweat more and next time you might have more skin exfoliated. Then friday evening has all that too and you also spill more margarita. 😁

Let your testing tell you what the spa needs and respond accordingly.

Rough estimate for me is a 30 minute soak, per person, takes 1oz of Liquid Chlorine.

As others has said, that is for ME, and my consistent usage (how clean we are, how much we sweat, what kind of suits we have)

You will have to come to your own estimate by measuring / testing over time until you can tell consistently

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have a 135 gal hot tub, and the issue I ran into with Pool Math and other apps is basically related to time vs volume of water. A 13,500 gallon pool has 100 times more chlorine than my hot tub, so while one person in the pool for 30 minutes wouldn't change the chlorine level at all, in a small hot tub, it could reduce it by 50%. Although the amounts recomended by Pool Math were correct based on chemical equations, they really only applied to getting the free chlorine up to the correct amount at that specific point in time--meaning it was not nearly enough to last the 23.5 hours until the next usage. With these tiny hot tubs, after you get out, you will need to add more bleach than indicated by the math. Now, if you had a SWCG or an automatic dosing unit, then you could keep a much steadier chlorine level. My tub, using the 2 step bromine method, with fresh fill water, needs about 1 oz of 6-7% bleach after 30 min of use. With older water, it rises to 2 oz or more.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.