aurnhammer

Sep 13, 2023
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
New pool owner. Pool was like this when I bought it October 22. Had to replace the filter and pump and I am trying to anticipate what I’ll need to do when I reopen. Tile is is damaged in some places and water maybe leaking. I have a pot by the pool that doesn’t show the same loss as pool due to evaporation. I tried doing my own leak test with dye (the local companies don’t return my calls😔). Frankly, my water bill is manageable compared to my concerns for what I imagined it would cost to run a pool (less than 200) and I keep a Pool Sentry attached to a hose to keep my motor from burning out. The leaves are a pain. I plan to cut back/down some of the trees in either the fall or spring and replant evergreens further from the pool.

I know I am in for a long journey to get this pool back in shape and want to prioritize. None of this is keeping me from enjoying the pool but I’d like to have a 5 year plan to bring this back to its former beauty.

I want to diy when possible. I have acid washed another pool before and am generally handy. I have a pool guy who replaced the filter and pump but I do my own, almost daily, maintenance.

IMG_0154.jpegIMG_0151.jpegIMG_2324.jpegIMG_0153.jpegIMG_0155.jpeg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, a bit of a journey ahead. If your budget allows, I could foresee stripping it all down for a new plaster job and waterline tile. It looks like the plaster has some imbedded stains with scale, and those tiles go back a couple decades. A new plaster job would probably alleviate most of your cosmetic concerns.

You might also have a company do some pressure testing of the plumbing to see if there are any issues to repair. This would also be a good time to have that skimmer evaluated. Looks a bit old and you want good water pull from the weir flap into the throat of the skimmer.

It sounds like you are capable of some DIY stuff at the pad, so really that's about it other than perhaps the condition of the pool decking. One thing at a time I suppose. If you're closed already, now's a good time to search our forum for more ideas. If you're still open for a week or so, get those laps in now. :swim:

Reactions: aurnhammer
Thank you. Pressure testing is a good idea.

I am hopeful an acid wash might help with the aesthetic and at least not be a waste if I need to re-plaster. Re-plastering is too a big a job for me by myself.

I’m going to start looking into what’s involved with repairing the tile and caulking in the expansion joints.

I hope to keep swimming until the leaves get to be too much.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.