Chlorine problem

@ChandlerInFBGTX
You likely have one of two things going on - either you have an organics problem that you just can’t quite see yet
or
- your cya is very low so the chlorine you are adding has no protection from the sun.
Cya is sunscreen for chlorine - you need some but you don’t want too much.

** Note that problem #2 can in turn lead to problem #1 due to fc falling too low.

Keep feeding the pool the 5ppm/ per day until your kit comes & you can find out what’s what. This is keeping your pool from turning into a green monster 🤢
When it comes,
You can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae being the culprit before increasing cya. The pool looks good but looks can be deceiving.
We’ll help you sort things out but we simply gotta have accurate data to do so.
Fwiw- The tfpro is very nice & in my opinion the best all inclusive residential pool kit one can buy - you’ll be happy with it no doubt.
We look forward to seeing your first results 😊

@ChandlerInFBGTX
You likely have one of two things going on - either you have an organics problem that you just can’t quite see yet
or
- your cya is very low so the chlorine you are adding has no protection from the sun.
Cya is sunscreen for chlorine - you need some but you don’t want too much.

** Note that problem #2 can in turn lead to problem #1 due to fc falling too low.

Keep feeding the pool the 5ppm/ per day until your kit comes & you can find out what’s what. This is keeping your pool from turning into a green monster 🤢
When it comes,
You can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae being the culprit before increasing cya. The pool looks good but looks can be deceiving.
We’ll help you sort things out but we simply gotta have accurate data to do so.
Fwiw- The tfpro is very nice & in my opinion the best all inclusive residential pool kit one can buy - you’ll be happy with it no doubt.
We look forward to seeing your first results 😊
Wow! What a genuine, kind reply ! Thank you. Thanks to everyone’s replies. I will do what you say.

Wow! What a genuine, kind reply ! Thank you. Thanks to everyone’s replies. I will do what you say.
I try to explain the trajectory so folks can understand why they need the tests that we recommend.
I know it can feel overwhelming and like you’re flying blind (right now you are).
But that will change soon!
This is a learning/teaching forum - its our goal to teach you how to care for your backyard puddle - not just blindly follow instructions but actually have an understanding so you can make the correct moves
😊

Check out the Poolmath app (or the older classic web version) to help you determine how much of each chemical you may/do need. it is all based on current test results.
If you can tell us the Length, Width and depth levels on the pool we can get you a fairly close estimate on water volume. As you work with the liquid chlorine and your test kit, you'll be able to hone in on a more precise level.
*You picked out the best kit to buy- its the better buy IMO. And they're dirt easy to use. Just go one test at a time as you read the instructions.
Pool Care Basics

Maddie 🇮🇹

Reactions: Mdragger88
Please let me know what to do first and I will submit results for you guys.
Block off everything but one test at a time. Get the bottles together, in order, and have at it. You don't even need to know what they are, other than you need bottle 0009. :)

If you look at the whole sheet, it's overwhelming for most folks. If you only look at one line at a time, it's a joke. 'Fill vial to 10ml' and. Swirl' and such. :ROFLMAO:

Run em all, then post em up.

Ok! Kit arrived. Please let me know what to do first and I will submit results for you guys.
Everybody has their own way. I always do pH first because it uses the color comparator. Then I do FC and CC because they are 10ml sample, then CH (another 10ml sample), Salt (another 10ml sample) and TA (a 25ml sample), Then finally CYA because that uses different tubes.
As pointed out by @Newdude - only pull out the reagents needed for each test 1 for pH, 3 for FC&CC, 3 for CH, 2 for Salt, 3 for TA and 1 for CYA. set them in order of use for each test - i.e. 007 then 008 then 009, etc.

Happy Spongebob Squarepants GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude and mgtfp
I rearranged my kit (pro-100 salt) to suit each test. the salt test I do least often so it sits to the side. The drops for the CC portion of the FC test sit in the tube for storage, same with the yellow drops bottle. i keep my DPD powder in a tiny tupperware box with one or two of those silica bags you get in electrc stuff.

Everybody has their own way. I always do pH first because it uses the color comparator. Then I do FC and CC because they are 10ml sample, then CH (another 10ml sample), Salt (another 10ml sample) and TA (a 25ml sample), Then finally CYA because that uses different tubes.
As pointed out by @Newdude - only pull out the reagents needed for each test 1 for pH, 3 for FC&CC, 3 for CH, 2 for Salt, 3 for TA and 1 for CYA. set them in order of use for each test - i.e. 007 then 008 then 009, etc.

I have three testing cylinders - with caps.

The first thing I do is measure out equal amounts of CYA test regent and water in two of the cylinders, and then pour one into the other, cap it and shake.

Then I let it sit while I do my other tests.

Finally I give it an other shake and do the CYA test.

This way it has time to sit, and I don't have to wait for it.

I also use the cylinders instead of the mixing bottle because I have a larger size sight tube, and sometimes the little mixing bottle does not have enough capacity

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support