Household drain cleaning tool to clean SWG cell plates.

That's the first I've seen this one mentioned. I will add it to my usual recs for finding something non metallic. :salut:

Reactions: Hal3
I was looking for a larger plastic zip tie to clean the deposits from between the plates of my SWG cell. Then I spotted that plastic tool used to remove hair from a household drain. Worked perfectly!

View attachment 562223View attachment 562224
Do you recall where you got that from?
I've seen a few, but they seem flimsy compared to your pics.

Do you recall where you got that from?
I've seen a few, but they seem flimsy compared to your pics.
I don't recall for this one but Amazon has many choices under "drain hair snake" that look very similar.

FATHER.SON Drain Clog Remover Snake, Plumbing Toilet Hair Snake Drain Cleaner Auger Catcher for Kitchen, Sink, Bathroom, Tub, Shower(4 Pack 20inch) Amazon.com

Reactions: proavia
I don't recall for this one but Amazon has many choices under "drain hair snake" that look very similar.

FATHER.SON Drain Clog Remover Snake, Plumbing Toilet Hair Snake Drain Cleaner Auger Catcher for Kitchen, Sink, Bathroom, Tub, Shower(4 Pack 20inch) Amazon.com
Thanks!

Make sure you address why you have so much scale in the first place. You need to be tracking CSI keeping the value between 0.0 and -0.6 or you will easily end up scaling the cell in a very short time.

Reactions: Hal3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just as a baseline...

I have very hard water where I live. I do my own testing (never at a pool store), and I'm pretty fanatical about keeping my CSI as close to -0.3 as I can. I just inspected my SWG plates a couple days ago, and I can't remember the time before that, but it's been at least a year. It didn't have any calcium deposits then, and it was spotless when I checked it this time. Like, literally spotless. All due to TFP SWG guidelines.

Maintaining a slightly negative CSI is the key. And it's pretty easy to do with Pool Math and my own test kit.

Last edited:
What looks nonstandard?
When we see numbers that don't end in a zero (or two), like CYA 56 and CH 616 and salt 3056, it's a safe bet that those are pool store test results. Numbers from either of our two recommended test kits would be more like 60, 600 and 3000.

When we see numbers that don't end in a zero (or two), like CYA 56 and CH 616 and salt 3056, it's a safe bet that those are pool store test results. Numbers from either of our two recommended test kits would be more like 60, 600 and 3000.
Busted! I was out of CYA reagent. I have more now. I don't test CH very often because it is always high whether I test it or Leslie's tests it and there is not much I can do about it. I just entered the Leslie's salt number but I wouldn't add any salt to the pool without testing it myself.

Reactions: Newdude and Dirk
What test kit are you using? Add it to your signature
Test Kits Compared

Post a full set of test results from one of the recommended test kits

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water Temperature

We don't care right now whether your test results are high or low - but we need to see them ALL in order to best help you.

I don't test CH very often because it is always high whether I test it or Leslie's tests it and there is not much I can do about it.
We can't be of much help without a full suite of test results from one of our recommended test kits. That's why Gene is asking for them. Our MO is based on Taylor test results, not pool store test results (that's the short version).

That said, if it turns out your CH is high, that's what's causing your CSI issues, one of which is the build up on your SWG. But that's not the only issue un-checked CH can cause. My pool was destroyed by that very thing, because the previous owners, and their pool maintenance company, thought similarly as you: CH is high and there is nothing to be done about that.

Well that's not true. At all. It's my pool now, my SWG is spotless, and my finish still looks brand new, after more years than it took for "CH negligence" to ruin the previous finish. So we're going to help you turn all that around. We'll not only show you how to keep your SWG shiny clean, but we'll also show you how to avoid the pitfalls of high CH, including keeping your finish looking great for years to come.

But first things first, and that's you helping us, and the first two steps are in post #16.

Reactions: Newdude and proavia
I was looking for a larger plastic zip tie to clean the deposits from between the plates of my SWG cell. Then I spotted that plastic tool used to remove hair from a household drain. Worked perfectly!

View attachment 562223View attachment 562224Great for the lumps Great for the lumps but the plates will still will be coated. You have a bigger problem. The water balance must be badly out of balance.