hAltonJones

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
What are the factors that cause pool water to end up with a high pH. I'm in Arizona (yes, it's hotter than [never would have dreamed that was a "curse" word, especially in view of the fact that my brother lives in [curse word] Michigan.]) with an 17,000 gallon IG pool (fresh water, sand filter). It doesn't get a lot of use, but the pH seems to work itself up in the 8.5+ range without much effort.

I thought most of nature's processes, e.g,, decaying plant life, flying bird turds, etc., tended to lower the pH. What are the possible causes for this?

Also ... I searched for site and couldn't find answers in pool chemistry or anywhere else. Surely, this question has been answered countless times. Any help in what steps I might have taken to find it myself will be appreciated.

Aimee hit on the big 3:
1. High TA
2. Lots of aeration (waterfalls, spa overflows, fountains)
3. SWG (which really is another form of aeration)

I am going to assume your CH is on the high side, if so, you really need to keep your pH below 8.0 at all times to lessen scaling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.