Hi! new home, new to pools

highkick05

Jan 21, 2024
Australia
Hello, we just bought our first house and have inhereted a bit of a mess older fibreglass pool.
We have been in this house for roughly 6 months - long enough to discover the pool had a suction side leak.
I have just spent 3 weeks breaking concrete, digging a nasty big hole down to replace the 90 degree elbow beneath the insanely deep skimmer (about 1.2 metres deep). Do they make them like that still?!!
So the PVC elbow just fell out from below the skimmer! yay found why my skimmer box fills with air every time I connect the vacuum/kreep kraula! and pump loses all pressure
Even gluing this puppy back in didn't fix the issue! 2 more weeks of fibre glassing it up, filling, testing , drying it out again, fibreglassing it again, testing, and so on and so on until today (2 weeks later)! she don't leak no more ! So I've refilled the pool, turned it all back on and still no leaks. Looks like its good! I think though, before I connect up the vacuum, I'll just put a few more layers of fibreglass around the 90 degree connection to make sure it lasts another 15 years ! That was way to deep of a hole and big of a job to go through again anytim soon.

So now, fingers crossed this puppy can clean herself instead of me half heartedly trying to rake all of the leaves and Crud that accumulates on the bottom of the pool! I'm sure the savings will be immense.
Now to just learn how to balance all the chemicals! Hence, why I have come here.

Hey HK and Welcome !!!

Got any pics of the repairs, or maybe even before/after ?

Purchase a reliable test kit mentioned/linked above

Read up and ask away : Pool Care Basics
Download : PoolMath
Follow : FC/CYA Levels
Witness : How Clear is TFP Clear?
Have absolutely tonnes of photos. Because of the location/depth of the skimmer it was a real PITA to fibreglass. I relied on the phones video to see where I had to fibreglass.
This whole process would have been a lot quicker if I did not have work and other commitments but got there in the end.

Before

Half way

414547402_272228905571484_1329320347021614172_n.jpgCapture.JPG419731572_691524429801523_6905399395153642147_n.jpg

Reactions: Newdude