Help understanding the difference of quotes

HamburglarPKT

Apr 22, 2024
Charlotte, North Carolina
First - thank you all for helping me understand the differences in these quotes from the two pool companies.

I am no engineer so I can't decipher if the reinforcement is a sales pitch or serious improvement. Also, this is the first time I have come across a Salt mineral vs salt system discussion. Then the filter sizes, plumbing, and jandy stealth motor; are those going to make my life easier???

System: Salt vs Salt Mineral System

Plumbing: 1 or 1.5" plumbing vs 2 or 2.5" Plumbing

Motor: 2.7hp Jandy variable speed vs 2.7hp Jandy Stealth variable speed

Filter: Jandy Cartridge filter 340 vs Jandy cartridge filter 460

Lights: 6x Nichless multi color LED pool lights w low voltage transformer vs

Reinforcement: #3 rebar 10" on center, 12" bond beam w/ 8" walls vs 4 bar bond beam with 1/2 in steel 3/8 inch rebar on 10' centers, 1/2 in the entire floor.

Size: 20' x 33'6 free form with a 7'x7' spa

Price: Same - the company on the right of the options came down to match the company on the left.

Thanks SO much for your help.

Having just gone through what you are doing and being in the middle of a build myself, I would pay very close attention to the size of the plumbing. All else being equal, the larger plumbing will perform much better and be better on your equipment.

Thanks. I did a lot of learning around various subjects last night and agree about the plumbing. I also realized the 1 or 1.5" plumbing was accidental and was never accurate as part of the quote/bid. They reference they will use proper plumbing per the pump (Jandy ePump 2.7hp) which says on their website 2" or 3" plumbing. Ill request they use 3".

They reference they will use proper plumbing per the pump (Jandy ePump 2.7hp) which says on their website 2" or 3" plumbing. Ill request they use 3".

2" or 2.5" plumbing is adequate for most lines unless you have something that has high flow needs.

3" pipes get you into a higher cost level with pipe, fittings and valves. Only use it where required.

Reactions: dfwnoob and JamesW
Size: 20' x 33'6 free form with a 7'x7' spa

Ill request they use 3".
Going all 3" does not make sense.

Follow the velocity rules.

For skimmers, you will never put more than 60 gpm on a skimmer, so 2" is fine.

For the spa suction, 3" is likely the right choice.

It depends on the number of jets you have and the flow per jet.

Pipe Size and Flow Rates.

You want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec on the suction and below 8 ft/sec on the pressure side of the pump.

Pipe Size6 ft/sec8 ft/sec
1.5"38 GPM51 GPM
2"63 GPM84 GPM
2.590 GPM119 GPM
3.0"138 GPM184 GPM
4.0"235 GPM312 GPM

Last edited:
Reactions: dfwnoob
Make sure that you get at least 2 skimmers and maybe 3 or 4 depending on how much leaf debris you will get.

Are you getting a main drain?

A main drain should have a 2.5" line.

Returns are less of an issue.

You can do (4) 1.5" lines or (2) 2" lines for returns.

Are you getting any water features?

Water features, like sheers, can use a lot of water, so they need more suction if you have a separate pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support