Help me get my pool ready

Just got home and tested: FC 15
Added chlorine

Wasn't able to brush today but the water is crystal clear it seems. I'll brush in the morning and give it an extra day to make up for not brushing today. I'll post in the morning but won't be able to do an overnight test till tomorrow night...

Does that seem reasonable?

Tested FC this morning: 19.5
Vacuumed and Brushed the pool.
Added chlorine to get me through the day.

Removed the steps from the ladder as I will be replacing them with plastic steps.

Removed the drain cover and found some kind of a blob of rust affixed to the bottom of the drain cavity. I removed what I could and vacuumed it out. I'll try to get the rest tomorrow.

Removed the light and brushed and vacuumed the niche.

Water was crystal clear before I performed the work above:
asasy4aq.jpg

I have some concerns though. The finish of the pool definitely shows a lack of maintenance prior to, and some during, my ownership of the house. There is calcium scaling and pitting. The scaling is green which tells me there is some kind of algae in it. The pitting also has a ting of color leading me to believe there is algae in it as well.

The scaling is not that bad and can be addressed with a pumice stone I believe. What should I do about the algae in the pitting?

Also, there is a black algae, I believe, that grows like little cotton balls:
rudevyse.jpg

The previous owners had a finish applied on top of the existing finish but stopped below the tile line. This black algae is most prevalent where the two finishes meet. The shock process hasn't killed this algae yet.

I'm willing to bet the overnight test is going to be fine tomorrow and I will be able to take the FC up to Mustard Algae levels which is the plan. Although, I plan on getting some pumice stone and getting rid of the scaling first. Is there anything else I can do to help resolve the problems listed above?

I'm not going down to normal levels, I am raising the FC to Mustard Algae levels. Should I still wait to raise the levels? (BTW, Love your kit. I should have bought the XL option though. I had to reorder some reagent to get me through this...)

Also, should I be brushing with a stainless steel brush? All this time I have been using one with plactic bristles...

So, now I plan to focus on the calcium scaling with pumice stones and the black algea with a stainless steel brush. Once those issues are resolved I'll raise the FC to Mustard Algae levels... Any advice on the pitting that seems to have algea in it?

Attacking black algae is a long-term proposition. It includes brushing with a steel brush as often as possible (without damaging plaster) and persistent dosages of higher than normal chlorine but not shock value levels.

I would suggest a guideline of about twice the normal FC for your CYA level and then hold that FC by testing ONCE every other day or so and then adding enough chlorine to get back to that same level.

This may take more than a couple of weeks even. Meanwhile, it is fine to swim in your pool and enjoy it once your temps allow.

I assume you have POSITIVELY identified it as black algae by getting some between your thumb and finger and rubbing it flat. It should be slimy and VERY dark greenish.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I suppose it might help remove other things on your pool walls, floor or decking. I have suggested it to you for working with black algae.

I have a vinyl-lined pool and do not have a stainless brush

Okay, I was able rub some of the black algae between my fingers and it is in fact a dark green. I wan't able to really tell if it was slimey though... So, I would think it is definetly algae because it is green and from what I've read it seems like black algae. Is there another type of algae it could be?

Alright, I tested last night when I got home:
FC 14.5
PSI 12.5

I added chlorine last night and tested again this morning:
FC 21
PSI 12.5

Today I will hopefully be able to attack the scaling with a pumice stone and the black algea with a SS Brush. My larger concern at this point is the remaining issue with what seems to be algea in the pitting on the walls. Is that possible or could it be another type of stain?

Today I will hopefully be able to attack the scaling with a pumice stone and the black algea with a SS Brush. My larger concern at this point is the remaining issue with what seems to be algea in the pitting on the walls. Is that possible or could it be another type of stain?
I do not understand. It sounds like you have identified the black algae correctly and we have discussed how to treat for it. Rephrase what you are asking (or maybe I am just not getting it :oops: )

I'm dealing with a multitude of issues; Likely Mustard Algea; Black Algae, Algae in calcium scaling and what seems to be Algae in some pitting of my finish.

I have maintained the pool at regular shock level since Sunday brushing and vacuuming daily (except for one day that my schedule didn't allow for brushing and vaccuming) The water is now clear but I have identified the black algea and algea in the scaling and pitting (I believe) now that I have gone in the pool for other reasons. I'm not sure if that explains where I am. I have tried to be very detailed in my posts from the begining of the thread. A quick read from the begining should provide a clear picture of where I am if your willing and able to run through it. I appreciate all the help. (BTW, the pool does look better now than I've ever seen it. I just want to make sure I address all the issues before I bring the FC to normal levels. Also, I still have to raise the FC to Mustard Algea levels and brush.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.