HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to turn

Re: HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to

Before you go to bed see how much FC you are losing an hour. Then see what time you will get up tomorrow to check the FC level. You have to add enough bleach to cover the FC loss per hour times how many hours you aren't able to monitor it. Some loss occurs from the sun, some occurs from evaporation and the rest goes to combine with the nastys.

I think i've messed up the chart because i stirred prior to getting the numbers instead of what i have been doing which was stirring after i got my levels and put in more bleach.

So maybe you won't use these, however you want to do it.

FC 9
CC 7

harleysilo....i've been keeping track. As of today, bleach and including my test kits and refills, i've spent close to $500.00. And just to give a total and may be partly revealed in my many tears today, combine that number with another 500 spent on Bacqua yuk in May...it's most likely over $1,000 so far this year alone. Yes water is pretty cheap here, when i filled the pool a couple of years ago, it was about 60 bucks. It wasn't completely empty but it was about 1/4 full. I called the water company and they deducted any extra cost of waste water that would have normally been added to that much water consumption.

In hind site that may have been the better idea. But, heck i don't know. I do realize not scrubbing has been my downfall.

It is what it is, so i guess best to keep going.

I was wondering about the drain and refill also. I didn't want to suggest it in fear of driving you over the edge lol. Honestly I came super close to doing it myself.

You're right .... It'd be a long drive from here to bring some bleach but if the food is good enough .... :p

By the by ... I'm Chad everyone *waves*

I feel like I just outted myself at an AA meeting lol

I hear you!!!!

Hello my name is Niki and i have a dirty pool.

Test just now, without scrubbing between testing this time...

FC 9.5
CC 4.5

As far as the draining and filling thing (trying to hold my composure). Ya'll wouldn't suggest that at this point would you? Or would you. :|

The trick is to get all the dirt out of your pool you can so the bleach cost is minimum. You did lose a few days by not scrubbing and letting it sit. And also there were times where FC was way above the necessary level.

FC 9 and CC 7 is to be expected. You stirred the junk around and more chlorine gets combined. When the numbers move there's always a reason for that. I do see that CC is coming down quickly now last count at 4.5 and free chlorine is still ticking upward.

You should be pretty close to seeing bleach use really reducing.

NikiBelle said:
I hear you!!!!

Hello my name is Niki and i have a dirty pool.

Test just now, without scrubbing between testing this time...

FC 9.5
CC 4.5

As far as the draining and filling thing (trying to hold my composure). Ya'll wouldn't suggest that at this point would you? Or would you. :|
I don't know not an expert but I wouldn't to vacume to waste....

CC 5.5 slightly unexpected but not a big move. Could be still from stirring.

Now you have a loss of only 1.5 FC over a hour. Before bed I would put yourself at 20 FC and you should make it through the night without falling too much below 15 by morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ok deal. Then when i get up i'll vacuum and vacuum and vacuum. THEN i'll test, right?

I know today was a setback. But, at the end of the day, when we scrub the middle about 1/2 the yuk that was coming up is coming up now. Big difference than this morning. And the water isn't as brown. So, that bleach is doing it's job i think. I just have to help it out and grab all i can with the vacuum.

Scrubbed 7 times
Bleached 10 times
Water is a little lighter with less crud in the middle than this morning.

Algae 2 points. Niki 1 point

Game is still on!!!!

Rah rah rah bleach em in the knee! Rah rah rah bleach em in the other knee!

4a0583ed-9517-fb44.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

If the gunk is settled to the bottom and water is cheap I'd suggest vacuuming to waste. It will quickly get rid of ALOT of the dead bodies, but will use ALOT of water. After running the vacuum keep having your son brush. He's kicking butt at it. It's now his new job full time. I'll even offer a trade....I'll vacuum with the robot vacuum if he brushes our pool. :)

I know you're using alot of bleach and looking back, draining would have been cheaper, but this entire process has taught you how to fully care for your pool. The rest of the year should be a snap! How is your filter running? If its able to run all night do so, my gut says you'll see a huge difference in the morning.

Thank you so much Leebo and Kias and gosh if i haven't thanked all of you individually, i do so in my heart.

My son, Brad, is out there as we speak scrubbing for the 8th time today. He is the bomb. You are right, i am learning and actually it is making sense to me. The reason my water was still cloudy is because it wasn't as good as it looked. I still had critters, hiding. Makes sense and even makes me feel a little better. At least my pump isn't screwed up or something even worse. My pump, i think, is a good one. Seems to be. It holds pressure really good and rarely goes up above 15 (which is my backwash level). I run it 24-7.

I will no longer believe my water is clean just because it looks that way IF it is still cloudy. I see it now as a catch 22 of sorts. If my water had not been so cloudy, i could have seen more of what was in the bottom. But, it wouldn't clear BECAUSE of what was in the bottom. Thank goodness you figured out there was a problem by my test results. Or it could have went on and on and on.

I am also glad that all of this is recorded online. Even though it may be the size of a novel when it is all said and done, it may help someone like me who is in this mess.

Well, that is my wish anyway.

OH and of note: Was talking with my mom tonight and she suggested that if this doesn't work, take the pool down and plant a tree in the middle of my deck. But, i was thinking more like a club house.

Well, surely this time, it will work.

Hi Nikki! I have been following your thread...I just enjoy reading these stories I suppose!

I can tell you from experience that vaccuuming the crud to waste will help tremendously! I, too, live God's country (AKA TN!) and have been through a tough algae fight (although it did not involve a baq conversion). The more you can get out of the pool the better off you will be. Think of it this way...if you vacuumed to filter, you would still have to kill it with bleach. If you get it out for good, you are saving money because whatever you get out you don't have to kill. I know water Columbia where I live is cheap enough to warrant vacuuming to waste. It sounds like it also is in Knoxville. I wish you the best and I am not an expert by any means. Just thought you could use a little encouragement from a fellow Tennessean!

BTW - It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!! (Hopefully you feel the same :-D )

Hi kdubya815!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to my algae world!!!!!

Yes i will take all of the advice from everyone and vacuum to waste, which is what i did originally but my pump got stopped up every 2 minutes with leaves. I'm hoping, after using the leave catcher for days and days prior to starting the conversion and now with the amount of bleach i have bestowed upon the monsters that lie within, i can do this way easier this time. I am letting it all settle down again tonight and will start the vacuuming in the morning.

Thank you sooooooo much for chiming in!!!!!! It means so much to me to see where peeps are following my journey and are cheering me on. Honestly, it gives me extra strength!!!

And yesssssssssssssssssssssss I'm a vols fan of course!!!! Went to a bunch of home games with the lady vols this year and it was priveledge to see Pat Summit in her final year as coach. She is amazing. I do follow football too, i mean, how could i not? I live 2 miles from the UT campus. I'd be hung from the highest tree around here if i didn't bleed orange. LOL

Welcome and thank you again!!!!

I am so jealous you got to see Pat! She will never be equaled in women's basketball!! Next UT home game I go to I might have to come over for a dip!!! LOL!!

I think you will find it much easier this time to vacuum to waste. You will probably still see a lot of green yucky water, but not much leaves and solids. At least that's my hope for you!! Take your time, make sure you get every inch of the bottom, and keep us posted with the results! Good luck and happy vacuuming!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.