Help: algae bloom I can't control

This is definitely not the fastest or most efficient way but it is your pool. You’re not “saving” chlorine this way - the algae gets the upper hand when you don’t don’t replenish fc so the slam takes longer to complete. It’s like cutting the top 1/2 off a blanket to put it on the bottom. More work, takes longer - same blanket in the end.
Why not during the day and all those at night & get it done?
I was short on chlorine today and wanted to save it to tonight till I get more tomorrow. I believe 5 ppm will prevent algae to take the upper hand and night time will kill what is left.

I added 2 lbs of CYA today to try and control the UV a bit. I used the sock method. But I can't see the jets on the deep end, so I added Infront of the jet I can see in the middle depth, does it have to be in the deep end? Will CYA damage plaster if it is shallow? I can see small granules leaving the sock and entering the pool and want to make sure it will not be an issue with the plaster because if so, I can just put the sock in the skimmer

Undissolved cya should not be left to rest on the plaster.
Vac it up.
You can put the sock in the skimmer until it’s really squishy then squeeze it out into the pool.
Be sure to raise your fc level accordingly
2# will raise your cya by 13ppm.
If you’re a solid 30 now then that makes 43 —-> round up so 50.
Slam level is now 20ppm FC/CYA Levels.

Undissolved cya should not be left to rest on the plaster.
Vac it up.
You can put the sock in the skimmer until it’s really squishy then squeeze it out into the pool.
Be sure to raise your fc level accordingly
2# will raise your cya by 13ppm.
If you’re a solid 30 now then that makes 43 —-> round up so 50.
Slam level is now 20ppm FC/CYA Levels.
I can't see the floor yet. I will run the dolphin couple cycles, should be enough to suck up undisolved CYA in the dolphin fine filter.

I don't believe I was at 30, I was diluted this week because of 2 heavy storms. I believe I will be in the 20s range. I will also add some tabs before I leave tomorrow evening (will fill the chlorinator up) so that will add more CYA and will keep the FC manageable until I get back.

I will keep the slam level tonight and all day tomorrow.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Sadly, failure is on your not too distant horizon.

Most of us were in on helping you. If you go off on your own and don't follow the procedure, I'm out.
Good luck and God speed!
I don't see it as failure. I am happy with the color as it is now. I will be ok if I used clarifier or floc to clear it up.

But I am so stubborn and want to finish the SLAM even if it cost more. I just had a situation yesterday that I only had 2 gallons of chlorine and couldn't get more so had to make the decision to maintain 5 ppm in the morning and raise it at night. I added CYA yesterday so hopefully UV loss won't be as bad

I don't see it as failure. I am happy with the color as it is now. I will be ok if I used clarifier or floc to clear it up.

But I am so stubborn and want to finish the SLAM even if it cost more. I just had a situation yesterday that I only had 2 gallons of chlorine and couldn't get more so had to make the decision to maintain 5 ppm in the morning and raise it at night. I added CYA yesterday so hopefully UV loss won't be as bad

Keeping being stubborn. Don’t stall the process. You’re close. Floc only works on stuff floating on the top of the water so you don’t need that. Clarifier clumps particles under water into larger particles so they can be filtered out and then filters washed to remove the stuff from the water. But both of those products can cause big problems if used incorrectly or at the wrong time. Floc needs to be vacuumed to waste and not allowed to go through a filter. The clarifier (depending on which one) isn’t as bad but if you haven’t killed all the algae yet, it’s just fooling you into giving up the SLAM too soon and then you’ll be doing it again later.

Hang in there! Your 50 gallons isn’t all that uncommon.

@martink I feel you as I am going through a similar exercise. The my water was crystal clear on July 4th (when we dipped in the pool with friends) then it "suddenly" turned cloud the next day. Since I was able to clear up the water in the past with less than 5 gallons of liquid chlorine, I added 5 gallons but didn't improve at all. A long story short, I continue to add 5 gallons at a time last few days and still not crystal clear (and still bubbles). This is my first time experiencing such as "prolonged" algae clean up.

I think my main "mistake" is not adding enough liquid chlorine (i.e., not getting to SLAM level) all at once. I am also fighting rusty water as well so the fight continues....keep us posted - I think I am 75% there but still not 100% crystal clear and bubbling (indicating algae's dying) - oh, I did clean out the light housing last year but will check again.

I raised it twice to slam this morning, I can finally see some stairs or the brush when cleaning them. My trip is delayed till Wednesday so hopefully in today and tomorrow it will be cleared. I went to bed yesterday at 10pm and FC was at 11ppm, woke up this morning and tested around 7am and FC was at 8PPM. 3 ppm loss overnight is not as bad as it used to be.

I think not running the fountain at the beginning of the SLAM was my main problem, now I run it everytime I dose for 30 mins to replace the water in the pipes with freshly chlorinated water. I think algae was spreading from the fountain piping as the fountain pump share the same suction with the pool pump.

Reactions: Bperry
Understood..my set up is rather simply (no fountain) and I think too much ascorbic acid is reducing the efficacy of liquid chlorine (dealing with the rust stain at the same time). Let's keep at it as this forum helped me maintain the water over the years. Just having the toughest time this year.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New Progress pictures, not sure if any difference is noticeable. I belive it is slightly more clear.

Still lose 3ppm overnight

Attachments

• 20230711_105152.jpg
    20230711_105152.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230711_105212.jpg
    20230711_105212.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230711_105321.jpg
    20230711_105321.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 8
Another mistake on my part that I didn't learn of earlier mistakes.

I haven't run the spa for a year, I suspected that might be a contributing factor to the overnight FC loss and the pool not clearing fast enough. So I ran the spa jets without the overspill today, and an overwhelming amount of green water emerged from the jets. I will run the jets couple times to replace the water and clean the pipes.

Can this be a contributing factor to the SLAM taking longer than expected and hight usage of FC? Can algae move from the closed spa jet pipes to the pool?

For reference, some pictures. I am running the spa only and shocked it to 16ppm. What should I do?

Attachments

• 20230711_163830.jpg
    20230711_163830.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230711_163838.jpg
    20230711_163838.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 5
For reference, some pictures. I am running the spa only and shocked it to 16ppm. What should I do?
Treat it as one body of water (do you really want to manage 2?) Turn the spa jets on so overflow to pool is running and resume SLAM in the pool. This is how I operate my pool with same set-up. Also, I’ve never had to SLAM in 6 years now , assuming I make it thru this summer.

Treat it as one body of water (do you really want to manage 2?) Turn the spa jets on so overflow to pool is running and resume SLAM in the pool. This is how I operate my pool with same set-up. Also, I’ve never had to SLAM in 6 years now , assuming I make it thru this summer.
The problem is the spa jets don't overflow the pool, the overflow is from a jet on the floor. It is either the floor jets or the spa jets, can't run them both. I have pantair control panel with automated valves and I use screen logic

I attached some pics to see the system if you have any ideas how to run the pool with the spa wall and floor jeta

Attachments

• 20230503_135645.jpg
    20230503_135645.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230503_135420.jpg
    20230503_135420.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230503_135404.jpg
    20230503_135404.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The problem is the spa jets don't overflow the pool, the overflow is from a jet on the floor. It is either the floor jets or the spa jets, can't run them both
M,

That is not a problem, that is how it should work. You can never be in the Pool mode and Spa mode at the same time.

The spa jets should NEVER cause the spa to spillover into the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

M,

That is not a problem, that is how it should work. You can never be in the Pool mode and Spa mode at the same time.

The spa jets should NEVER cause the spa to spillover into the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.
But they should be mixing pool & spa water correct?
That is what he is trying to accomplish to slam both bodies of water as one.

But they should be mixing pool & spa water correct?

When in the pool mode, the spa will overflow into the pool.. That is the only way the spa can get any fresh chlorinated water.

If you are SLAM-ing, you want the spillover to run constantly.

I kind of got into this thread in the middle, so maybe I just don't understand the issue.. :scratch:

If the problem is that there is no spillover due to the filter clogging then the filter has to be cleaned more often..

Thanks,

Jim R.

When in the pool mode, the spa will overflow into the pool.. That is the only way the spa can get any fresh chlorinated water.

If you are SLAM-ing, you want the spillover to run constantly.

I kind of got into this thread in the middle, so maybe I just don't understand the issue.. :scratch:

If the problem is that there is no spillover due to the filter clogging then the filter has to be cleaned more often..

Thanks,

Jim R.
The problem is if the spa jets are not used, algae grows inside the pipes from the equipment all the way to the jets. That happened to me with the fountain and spa jets when I don't use them for long periods.

Spillover works from a jet in the floor.

I am fine with the way the system set up. But I just want to see if there is a way to have all jets working when slamming so I can clear all the piping from algae

after slamming, I willl run the spa jets on a schedule to make sure all piping has fresh water all the time.

The fountain has a separate pump so that was an easy fix and will be easy to manage as well

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.