Help: algae bloom I can't control

Maintain the slam level untill the 3 parameters are met. Do the oclt test without letting FC drop below slam level.

If you are losing 6 ppm at night your not there yet.

Brush frequently.

I dose to 12, but to do the overnight FC test, I was told to take a reading at night without dosing and check again in the morning, that is why it was 6. Let me know if it is wrong and what should I do, so far I have used around 45 gallon in the SLAM
Martin, I think perhaps you’re focusing on the OCLT a little too soon. Remember, there are 3 criteria to passing the SLAM:

You are done when:​

• CC is 0.5 or lower
  • AND you pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (i.e. test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less)
  • AND pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae (dead or alive) on floor and walls
Your pool water is not crystal clear, so you don’t really need to be conducting the OCLT yet. Even if you theoretically passed the OCLT, you’re still slamming anyway based on clarity. So sorry about getting the water clear first.

To do that? Maintain SLAM level as often as possible! Going all night well below SLAM level is just giving algae a chance to multiply again. Then, the next day is just spent killing the “new” algae, and you won’t get ahead.

Maintain. SLAM. Level. Dosing back up to it as often as you practically can. That, and cleaning the filter if pressure rises >25%, are all you need to worry about until your water is crystal clear.

Once the water is clear, THEN you’ll do the OCLT — to see if you’re “really done”.

Make sense?

Reactions: Mdragger88
The OCLT is used to determine when you’re done with the SLAM. Visually, you can see you’re not done. By testing and dosing as often as possible, every 2 hours, if possible, you can get through this.

You’ll know when you’re getting close to perform an OCLT when you does to 12 and two hours later, it might only be 10, dose to 12, two hours later it might be 10.5, dose to 12, two hours later it might be 11. Notice the trending?

The
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test night test is to be done 30 minutes After the last fc addition. Maintain slam level fc as often as possible to speed things along. While doing an oclt at this stage can help you gauge how things are going until the water is clear your primary objective is to Maintain slam level fc.
I may have missed it - did you ever add cya & test to confirm you have 30ppm?

The
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test night test is to be done 30 minutes After the last fc addition. Maintain slam level fc as often as possible to speed things along. While doing an oclt at this stage can help you gauge how things are going until the water is clear your primary objective is to Maintain slam level fc.
I may have missed it - did you ever add cya & test to confirm you have 30ppm?
Thanks all for your comments. I am concerned that the pool is not getting clear, and I am suspecting the new filter media are the reason and not doing a good job with the dead algae.

I dosed to 30 and tested, but we had 2 heavy rainstorms this week, each was about a foot of water, so it might have diluted the water. I see some UV loss during the day but not that much, I will start adding my readings on the app as well

Did you dose FC to 30?

What is your cya? There is no reason to go higher than recommended.

I suggest you go back an read the slam procedure. The more closely you follow the directions, the quicker the pool will be tfp clear. And sanitized. This method works, but if you don't follow the procedure, your only making it harder for yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.jpeg
    IMG_1225.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: an1vrsy
Did you dose FC to 30?

What is your cya? There is no reason to go higher than recommended.

I suggest you go back an read the slam procedure. The more closely you follow the directions, the quicker the pool will be tfp clear. And sanitized. This method works, but if you don't follow the procedure, your only making it harder for yourself.
I dosed CYA at the beginning to 30 not FC, but it was diluted because of this week's rain.

No reason to suspect the new cartridge media is the reason for the pool staying Cloudy?

Reactions: Mdragger88 and RLP
Great, I missed that it was cya.
It certainly could be the filter, I have found over the years that the manufacturers original equipment is usually of a better quality than "aftermarket" items.

you should fill out your signature at the bottom, with as many details as possible. It helps the people who are trying to help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Progress pictures, not much improvement in Clarity. Didn't do OCLT test as clearly I was still losing FC at night (See pool math).

I will be away all next week. How can I maintain the pool from deteriorating while I am away so I can resume when I am back?

PS. Pool math is 5 hours off when I open it. I added chlorine last time around 3am

Attachments

• 20230709_102715.jpg
    20230709_102715.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230709_102731.jpg
    20230709_102731.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230709_102853.jpg
    20230709_102853.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I was out of town and can see some progress in your pics... but your pool math logs are scary. You seem to be testing and adding often which is good, but I see lots of FC of 2-4 which is well below the minimum SLAM level and sometimes below the plain old minimum for just maintaining your pool.

Have you tested 15-20 mins after your additions to make sure you are hitting your SLAM level FC when adding?

Progress pictures, not much improvement in Clarity. Didn't do OCLT test as clearly I was still losing FC at night (See pool math).

I will be away all next week. How can I maintain the pool from deteriorating while I am away so I can resume when I am back?

PS. Pool math is 5 hours off when I open it. I added chlorine last time around 3am
Hit it hard- every couple hours if you can! The more you maintain slam level fc the faster it will go. You’re getting close.
Keep doing all the things.
Have you gotten to checking/ scrubbing light niches, ladders or any other hidden areas? This is a must.
How quickly are your filters clogging? Keep them clean!
Is there anyone who can add a gallon of liquid chlorine for you while you’re away each day?

I dose to 12, but to do the overnight FC test, I was told to take a reading at night without dosing and check again in the morning, that is why it was 6. Let me know if it is wrong and what should I do, so far I have used around 45 gallon in the SLAM

Where were you told this?
Keep the FC at 12 (SLAM level FC for CYA 30).

So the pool sat overnight with a starting FC of 6 - one half of the SLAM lefel FC needed.
This is one reason why your progress is so s-l-o-w.

Don't rush the OCLT - your pool is still WAY too cloudy to even consider an OCLT.
When it's time for the OCLT, dose to FC of 12.
Test 30 minutes later to be sure you are at 12.
Test again in the morning before sun up.

If you think the CYA has fallen, do a CYA test and if it's below 30, dose back to 30.

For now, your focus is to keep the FC at 12.
The more times daily you do this the better.

I don't test after adding. I will start doing that.

Filter is not getting clogged that is why I am suspecting it is working. I add chlorine 4 or 5 times a day to boost it back.

I run the bot 4 or 5 times a day and brush the stairs and spa couple times a day.

I did some mistakes that I will be honest about. I didn't run the water feature pump when slamming. I ran it couple days ago and I saw green water coming out if it. It disclored the pool for a minute but didn't last much as it was killed by the chlorine. I run it daily now for 30 mins after dosing.

I also didn't clean the bot regularly. I did couple days ago as well and it was full of leaves and the additional filter media in it was very dirty.

I think it all started when I ran the water feature in my son's birthday in April. Last time I ran it was in Decemeber. Probably it was full of algae and I ran it in the pool then left for 10 days to come back to a green pool. Lesson learned

Glad you are getting it worked out.

Stick with it, your hard work will pay off!

Stay focused on:
  • Keeping FC at SLAM level for your CYA (CYA minimum of 30)
  • Brush entire pool/spa twice daily - in addition to running the robot
  • Main pool pump running 24/7
  • Run separate water feature pump for 30 minutes at least twice daily
A couple times - test the FC 30 minutes after adding to be sure you are attaining the needed SLAM level.
This will ensure the chlorine is the strength you think it is, the pool volume is correct and the amount you calculated to add is correct.

I see improvemt in Clarity. Can finally see a hazy yellow brush when brushing the stairs.

I made a decision that most of you might not agree with. I decided to save my sanity, fighting power and chlorine to night time. I will keep maintaining 5 ppm in the morning hours then superchlorinate to 12, 3 or 4 times at night time.

I see improvemt in Clarity. Can finally see a hazy yellow brush when brushing the stairs.

I made a decision that most of you might not agree with. I decided to save my sanity, fighting power and chlorine to night time. I will keep maintaining 5 ppm in the morning hours then superchlorinate to 12, 3 or 4 times at night time.
This is definitely not the fastest or most efficient way but it is your pool. You’re not “saving” chlorine this way - the algae gets the upper hand when you don’t don’t replenish fc so the slam takes longer to complete. It’s like cutting the top 1/2 off a blanket to put it on the bottom. More work, takes longer - same blanket in the end.
Why not during the day and all those at night & get it done?

Sadly, failure is on your not too distant horizon.

Most of us were in on helping you. If you go off on your own and don't follow the procedure, I'm out.
Good luck and God speed!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.