Hello from an excited Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma!!

TM- The place is called Garbe's
Its a local lighting shop but they have a great website and deal with top quality vendors. You might find something you like...

- - - Updated - - -

Once you are swimming in your pool, those patches will disappear! I agree with Suz. They look like natural imperfections. Your deck and waterline tile go great together. How soon to plaster???

I don't have a date for plaster yet, but at least it's soon than it was last week!

Tomorrow is masonry! Finally, some forward movement! Hubby and I will be here all day :)
I asked PB if other things will happen this week, he said not until masonry is done as they will be working over a majority of the deck. It took texting the same message 2xs to get an answer (I'm determined to be VERY "squeaky" until this build gets done.

I'm at least going to try to get the guttering done this week. They won't be in the way of the masonry crew.

We had our first rain since the deck stain and seal, which revealed a distinct color difference under the patio....again. At this point, it's doubtful they will do anything more for me. I paid the addendum last week. I guess we will just have to live with it and in a few years have it stripped, restained and resealed- by someone else.

In other news, I took off a skimmer cover to measure it for a pretty replacement cover and I found that my skimmer has about 10 good sized spiders living in it....yikes!!!

How owe do you all pull your skimmer socks out and not get close to the creepy-crawlers???

Hooray for masonry - today!!

My low tech technique with the skimmer baskets is to use a plant stake. It was handy when I began skimmer checks, but it works for me. It's the green metal 24" 'stick' with one end in an open circle (to slip around a plant stalk). The straight end easily lifts up the skimmer lid, and the hook end lifts up the basket by the metal bar across the top of the basket. The plant stakes come in different lengths and are less than a dollar from Lowe's or Home Depot. I use the Amazon hair nets as skimmer socks which I consider disposable since they are so cheap. When I used 'real' skimmer socks, I tried to rinse off and/or wash.

The spiders are more of a problem now since there's no water and suction in the skimmers. Once your pool is up and running, it will be easy. I usually do the skimmers when the pump is running so the debris and any 'friends' aren't floating around but sucked down into the basket.

One more thing, I keep a rock in the bottom of each basket under the hair net. That way when you put the basket back in, it sinks down better without sticking crooked in the skimmer. It will probably make more sense when you get going with the real skimmers and water.

I can't wait for pictures today! And you guys get to be home to supervise!

Amazon.com : The Skimmer Angel GPIAngel Skimmer Basket Handle : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

BUT I am not sure how you would put the cover on. I THINK you could make it shorter so it just sits under the lid. Not sure how but worth trying to avoid the spiders :shock:

So sorry to hear about the color difference when it is wet :( How disappointing.

Good for you for MAKING him text you back. So sad it takes that much effort for him to do so.

:hug: I know you just need this DONE!

Kim:cat:

Thanks Kim! I appreciate the info and the hugs!
I looked at the skin angel. It looks great but I don't think I could use the skimmer socks (aka hairnets) since it comes up through the middle of the basket... I do believe, however, that the skimmer lid would fit with this attached as the basket sits quite a ways down in the hole.

The color difference is actually visible ow tat it rain and has dried, almost like the color washed off. I can see it in other areas as well. :(
Moving on.... I am hoping for a "happy day".

Blessings to you, friend!

My low tech technique with the skimmer baskets is to use a plant stake. It was handy when I began skimmer checks, but it works for me. It's the green metal 24" 'stick' with one end in an open circle (to slip around a plant stalk). The straight end easily lifts up the skimmer lid, and the hook end lifts up the basket by the metal bar across the top of the basket. The plant stakes come in different lengths and are less than a dollar from Lowe's or Home Depot. I use the Amazon hair nets as skimmer socks which I consider disposable since they are so cheap. When I used 'real' skimmer socks, I tried to rinse off and/or wash.

The spiders are more of a problem now since there's no water and suction in the skimmers. Once your pool is up and running, it will be easy. I usually do the skimmers when the pump is running so the debris and any 'friends' aren't floating around but sucked down into the basket.

One more thing, I keep a rock in the bottom of each basket under the hair net. That way when you put the basket back in, it sinks down better without sticking crooked in the skimmer. It will probably make more sense when you get going with the real skimmers and water.

Suz, that sounds like a great idea! I, however, have no idea what that looks like. If you have a picture and don't mind posting it here, I would be grateful.
The advice and input here is just the best! The rock idea sounds great, too! Do you put it under or inside the skimmer sock? I already have my hairnets ready to go! I know those go in the basket like a coffee filter.
Thanks for the heads up about dumping the baskets with the pump running. I don't want floatie yuck (read critters) touching me!

The masons haven't arrived yet, neither has the stone... PB is supposed to be here at some point this AM.
I will post pictures when there is something to show!

I use OXO tongs -- ever since I found a little mouse in the basket !

Love these tips!! Wish we could sticky stuff like this so we know where to find it when we need it later!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update-

What I'm assuming was the "head" mason guy showed up about 9:30 and sat in his truck for almost 30 minutes after which PB showed up. The came into the yard, started talking and measuring, so I headed out to listen and (of course) get involved. Once all of that was finished (the way the rock is to be turned, firepit size and placement, etc), I spoke with PB at length about the deck issues and how his concrete sub acted, how there was never an apology only excuses, how he didn't want to make it the color I wanted it and he as well as the mason could see how the color had washed off after the rain we had Sat. He apologized.
We then discussed all the remaining items that need to be completed and he said we are tentatively scheduled for plaster a week from Friday, acid wash and fill on Saturday. Only problem is that I work. I asked if the day can be moved to earlier because I want to be here for it. He's going to check the plasterer's schedule and let me know. Worse case is it had to stay on Friday and I have to try to change my schedule if my manager will let me. Fortunately, we are pretty short during the week so chances are good she will let me work Thursday instead.

Pergola installer is backed up, that will be one of the last things that happens. I'm ok with that.

I found my fire water bowls for almost 4K less than what the pool company wants to charge me. PB said he thought it was great that I could save that amount of $$ and is agreeing to install them for an installation/service fee. I'm pretty excited about that! That means I can get them pretty soon :) Too bad they have an 8-10 week lead time. :( I should have them for the fall at least.

The end is in sight, friends! I need to start practicing with my test kit!

They are here! I'm hoping it looks good when they are done. Still a bit nervous about my stone choices. I spoke with the head Mason and showed him how the stones should be turned, but one of the stones I picked looks REALLY grey now that I see it outside the stone yard...Remainng positive! It's going to look great!!

All great progress Nini! It's so hard for me to watch these steps but I think once it's all done and tied together we'll be much happier! The end is in sight! Can't wait to see the stones! Woo hoo for forward momentum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you are right! We will both be happy (and less stressed!) when it's finished.

I'm so glad I am here today! They are placing the stone the correct way but making VERY large mortar joints. I went out and tried to convey that they need to be thinner. They very nicely redid what they started making the joints thinner on the horizontal plane but the vertical ones were still really wide. The head guy had left me his number in case I needed to communicate with his guys and was not able to (they only speak Spanish), so I called him and explained the situation. He called them and now it's all better. With grey mortar and wide joints, it would take on too much of a grey look, plus I like the closer stack of a dry stack. We chose to do mortar stack instead because of all the mud daubers we have around our house. It will be much easier to find and get rid of nests.

It really is looking good!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.