Harmonic noise from newly installed RayPak 366A NG

Figure 66. Unitherm Governor - Polymer
To test the operation of the Unitherm Governor - Polymer, place in hot water (over 110°F [43°C]) and watch for movement against spring.

If there is no movement, replace unit.

Raypak Unitherm Governor 105 F Degree for gas heaters with Capron plastic headers

Includes Gasket

The unitherm governor acts like a car thermostat to slow water down in the heater until it is warm enough to prevent condensation in the heat exchanger when pool water is below 75 degree F

Factory Original Part

• Mfg #: 006719F

Raypak had us remove UVG and then run heater and sound gone.

if not running with UVG then no sound
This is the key information.

Everything points to a Unitherm Governor (aka Thermal Regulator) as the cause of the noise.

If it was something else, then the noise would still be there when the UG was removed.

These parts have become unreliable lately and they are not opening at the correct temperature.

If they open just a crack, then the water makes a whistling noise.

The part is pushed into place with a spring, so water can be forced past the part if there is enough pressure, which might be happening when the heater is on and the water gets hot.

Gas pressure, there is an inlet port on gas valve. You want to test static pressure and turn on the heater for dynamic. There is also a port on the load side of gas valve for manifold pressure. The specs are above and you can adjust regulator at gas valve . If any appliances were on at the same time this could alter readings.
Well the crew has been out here for hours. All gas is in spec including dynamic. No better. With the thermostat out no noise. We have tried 3 thermostats they all function based on water test. Open around 110 and start closing when water is colder. Everyone is at a loss. Have had it 6 weeks and still no heater. Any thoughts. Raypak tech line has really not been of any help except selling us thermostats.

The second thing I tried was to go to one of my fill lines to the pool and slowly shut the valve and that also worked but I could hear my pump straining.
Sounds like the flow through the heater is the problem. Maybe broken internal bypass, open external bypass, heater is plumbed in backwards that is causing the thermal regulator not to open all the way.

Pictures of the system?
The system was flipped from right to left because of my pump configuration. They followed rapak directions for flipping. I have checked skimmer clear great suction, bottom drains clear. I opened sand filter which sand was replaced 2 years ago really nothing much on top.

Attachments

• 893078B7-2ECF-4980-AB25-3B56DE0E9981.jpeg
    893078B7-2ECF-4980-AB25-3B56DE0E9981.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 418BFAE3-FB1F-4469-8421-22F7577D295A.jpeg
    418BFAE3-FB1F-4469-8421-22F7577D295A.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 15
  • E525A8C9-A4ED-4FA0-9A65-27969C6029E7.jpeg
    E525A8C9-A4ED-4FA0-9A65-27969C6029E7.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe they made a mistake when they flipped it?

In any case, I would tell them to get it fixed or give you a new heater.
Tried that and they said I have to deal now with Raypak authorized warranty repair. Nobody within 90 miles and they won’t make the trip. So I’m just beginning to figure out a battle plan here. Kinda screwed now and ****** at $4500 sitting idle and no one cares.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
I'm not sure how critical the UG is anyway.

Maybe ask Raypak if you are OK to operate without the UG.

However, I still worry that maybe they made a mistake when they flipped the system.

Good question and I did ask and they said I should not. But the people in their tech/service Dept that the installers have access to are not very good. Had us buy wrong part, we’re at one point reading from the wrong manual and I’m the one that caught that no one else did. So that being said not sure what to believe. The people that the outside service people have access to have probably never seen a heater. They are not engineers etc. they just go through a check list, no logic involved.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.