Green Cloudy Pool

Last edited:
Welcome, a couple of key points:

1. The only thing we trust less than a pool store test, is pool store advice
2. Get your own test kit from the link above
3. Never set foot in Leslie's again
4. Algae is caused by low chlorine, as simple as that.
5. Pool stores love selling people stuff without regards to long term impact to your pool. I see copper in your results. I'm guessing that is from algaecide recommended by the pool store. What else did they sell you?

Ok, that is good that you havent bought anything from them. Here is what you should do:

1. Read up on the links in post #2
2. Get a good test kit. I recommend one from TFTTestkits
3. Add 5 ppm of chlorine daily to your pool while you wait for your kit. If you tell us how big your pool is, we can help with that calculation.
4. Also while you wait, read up on the SLAM process. Print it, read it, read it again, ask questions.
5. Read up on draining your pool, in case your test kit also shows high CYA. The amount you drain is proportionate to your CYA reduction (Draining 60% of your pool reduces your CYA by 60%) Draining - Further Reading
6. Once your kit arrives, post up a full set of results and we can guide you. Be ready for a partial drain and a SLAM, but lets wait for the real test results before we do that.

Also, the copper in that test result is a bit concerning. Any ideas where it came from? Common sources are algaecides, "mineral systems" or sometimes chlorine products have "blue" ingredients marketed as algae fighters but are really copper.

Pool is 20,000 gallons. I ordered a TaylorK2005 that is coming today.
Hmm... that kit doesnt have all of the tests you need. Can you return it for a K2006c? If not, there is a supplemental kit that gets you everything you need:

Where Can I Get A Good Test Kit?

The TF-100 and TF-Pro can only be found on tftestkits.net. It comes fully stocked with Taylor reagents in bulk and is considered the best values overall. The Taylor K-2006C is sold by various vendors online. If you chose the K-2006C test kit, it’s important to look for the K-2006”C” which means “commercial size” reagent bottles. You want those larger bottles. Locally, you may find the Taylor K-2005 kit, but it’s missing the all-important FAS/DPD chlorine test. So if you already have the K-2005, go to tftestkits.net and order the FAS/DPD which converts your K-2005 to a K-2006 test kit.

As for your 20k pool, 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine adds exactly 5.0 of FC. You should be able to find it at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, hardware stores.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ill see about returning it for a K2006, thx for the help ill be sure to report back :) thank you so much
No problem, that’s what we do.

Just be patient, be willing to learn, ask questions, etc. We will get you crystal clear in no time and then it can be your turn to help the next person with a green pool.

It's Sunday morning.... I'm impatient for the next installment of fixing this pool.
Bored Cabin Fever GIF

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.