Green Cloudy Pool

Just added the latest test from 9:30pm.

To keep the water at shock level (12 ppm), I would have to add more bleach than what it calls for to get to 12 ppm. Is that safe? I am adding 1.5 gallons every 30 minutes, practically. Using PoolMath, I noticed a gallon of 12.5% bleach will increase FC by 6.5, so I am using that fact to tell what I need to get to 12 ppm. Should I really really 15 or 16 ppm? I am kind of scared to do that.

Does it matter where I take my 10 ml sample from? I happen to be taking the sample from my deck. However, when I add the bleach I am adding it by walking around the pool, not from the deck. Just a thought. Having a hard time believing it is expending so much chlorine. Nasty!

The stated method in Pool School and recommended method for adding bleach is very slowly, in front of a running return. A pencil width stream directly in the path of the water flow from the return. There is no reason to walk around the pool, pouring in bleach. Brush the side and bottom of the pool below where you added the bleach.

Is the concern that the liquid bleach will sink and bleach the liner? I will make sure to scrub the sides and bottom. Since I have been walking around the pool, I guess I need to scrub the walls and floor all around the perimeter of the pool.

At this point, I have added 6 gallons of bleach in a matter of 3.5 hours. I have only been able to get the FC up to 6.

Pat, you mentioned it needing sunlight to oxidize. Should I call it a night, and let that process happen in the morning? The pool was greenish blue this morning, and turned all blue during the day when the sunlight came out. This may be why? Last night I added just over 5 gallons of bleach to achieve this. I have added more tonight, which is what concerns me.

- - - Updated - - -

Correct. I have not added green and clean.

The only time I have seen CC levels like you have is when I had them myself. This is when I confirmed my pool had undergone a CYA to ammonia conversion. The Green to Clean product IS ammonia. That's why it stands to reason you may have used it. And if you have ammonia in your pool, it takes lots of bleach to oxidize it and get rid of it. The ammonia turns into monochloramine rapidly and shows up as high CC levels in testing. That's why you've had to add so much bleach and are having trouble reaching shock levels of FC.

sent from mobile. beware of brevity and spelling errors.

Well, apparently I stand corrected. I just found out that the pool guy that was here working on the filter did add green to clean. I am not happy about that at all, because the SLAM process would have taken care of it. Now, I feel like an idiot. What should I do at this point? How much chlorine will it take to oxidize it?

I added 5 gallons last night and then 6 gallons tonight, and still have very CC levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The answer, as usual, is more bleach. It's going to take more now than it would have without the ammonia addition, but that's still the answer. Keep adding bleach until you can hold FC, then the CCs will come down once the ammonia is all oxidized by the bleach.

sent from mobile. beware of brevity and spelling errors.

Well, apparently I stand corrected. I just found out that the pool guy that was here working on the filter did add green to clean. I am not happy about that at all, because the SLAM process would have taken care of it. Now, I feel like an idiot. What should I do at this point? How much chlorine will it take to oxidize it?

I added 5 gallons last night and then 6 gallons tonight, and still have very CC levels.
Keep adding chlorine. The Green to Clean just added to your workload and cost. You now need to get rid of the ammonia in the water so it will be more chlorine than just a normal SLAM. Keep at it, test and add chlorine as often as possible

Chuck, I didn't want to assume the ammonia thing before I went to bed last night, but after the past few posts I can see that's exactly what happened. And like the gang said, you have a new challenge ahead to rid your pool of ammonia. So use the following to get past the ammonia "hump":
Treatment for Ammonia:
1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.
As you can see, you'll need lots of bleach on-hand to fix what the pool guy apparaently did to you, but it can be done. Follow those steps to the letter, then you can press-on with your exsting SLAM. Good luck.

Your most important thing is to get you FC up to SLAM level. I don't think you've actually gotten up there yet. Texas has got the plan that we know will work. So give it a go! We know you can do this. In the end it will be worth all the effort.

Thanks. I can really add 6-8 gallons of bleach in an hour, without it hurting the liner, etc? Last night, I added 6 gallons in about 3 hours and only got FC up to 6.

Texas mentioned something about the sunlight oxidizing the chlorine from last night. I was confused by this, as to whether it meant I should wait for the chlorine I added last night to oxidize. Is that the case, or just hit it more? You can probably tell I am a little worried here...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.