Gray mottling problem

Thanks, onBalance for your guidance.

For the benefit of others reading this thread, especially those struggling with plaster problems, I should add more detail in what transpired in the meeting with the PB.

I let go of my anger before going in, and set a reconciliatory tone for the meeting from the outset. After the initial pleasantries, I began with "Before we go into the test results, I want to assure you that I'm not here to criticize or fight you, but rather I am hoping that we will maintain our business relationship as I think you are among the best pool builders in the area."

When I showed the test results, I said "I understand that this in no way reflects on you as a pool builder in any shape or form. For all we know, it could be an honest mistake. I do recall that the plasterers did the work on a rainy day, and they might have made a snap decision to add more calcium chloride to the mix. As the results show, they ended up adding too much, and you probably were not aware of it." (this is true as long as the PB uses sub-contractors)

When going to a PB with problems through no fault of your own, you do have to give them an "out" while asserting yourself. Doing so allows them to save face while acknowledging the mistake and be more likely to help you because of how you approach them.

Had I held onto my anger, and went in with guns blazing, the outcome might have been different. They could have played the not-covered-by-warranty card and dug in. Or they might have still agreed to replaster, but the bridge would be burned and the PB would think I'm an a*hole and refuse to do business with me in the future (what if I need a new pump, or spring a leak, etc).

Another update:

Met with the PB again to discuss when to replaster and how to do it. He will personally supervise the subs when they do the job, and he said I am welcome to supervise as well.

We decided on Oct 20 to begin the replaster, and will take 3 days to take the original plaster off, prep the gunite for replastering, leave for 24 hours, and then apply new plaster (no calcium chloride! will use a different brand called Universal this time). After finishing the plaster, wait 6 hours to refill, and from there I take care of the chemistry.

When the time gets closer, I will start a new thread to chronicle the replaster job.

This entire thread has been a very interesting read. We have been down the exact same road over the past year and a half. I sure wish that I had the knowledge then that I do now. I Especially like your recommendations on curbing your attitude prior to going into a meeting. It probably would have saved me a few BP pills if I had listened.

Our experiences are very similar. Ours was a re-plaster job, followed by the same staining / discoloration as you posted. What was disheartening was ever time our plasterer, or plaster supplier would come out, the sun would be out bright, that would not see anything, and thought that I was a total nut. They blamed city water supply, (despite my neighbor using the same water for his pool 100' away.), not brushing religiously for the break-in period of 30 days; which I had done, and not properly balanced water ( I also had a log book).

Plaster supplier decided it was scaling from metals, sold us on a Jack's Magic program, and left. After months of dealing with the metal treatment with no success, I got frustrated, went to a "more respected" pool guy and opted for an acid wash. It has now been 8 months and the stains have not returned.

I read the link on re-plaster, it was full of great information that I wish I had a prior to my refurbish.

Good luck with your re-plaster, and I look forward to seeing your end results.

Yardoasis,

I commend you for the diplomatic way you dealt with the plasterer. I probably would have been a bit less so and would have had a hard time not showing a bit of frustration and anger. My dad always used to say you 'attract more flies with honey than vinegar'! Best of luck with the replaster, and hope it turns out well. I recently had replastering done a few months ago - so far so good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.